Kosutemi Seieikan - Argument And Dissension

Gene Williams

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well Egg,
You seem to be a little defensive about the kata thing, and you seem to understand that there are traditional ryu that these kata came from. You are training in yet another derivative style which mixes and matches to suit the "founder's" tastes. I don't know what causes people to run off and start their own "style," but it is a real problem in this country. I can understand starting a kai, an organization within which Shito ryu, Shotokan, or Goju, for instance, is taught. This happens for political reasons, sometimes a Soke (a real one, not some Western wannabee) will authorize or give his blessing to something like that. But, the karate within a kai like that is still the original ryu. But, this business of mixing and matching kata (and usually inflating one's lineage or "expanding" on the truth of one's background) is like a bunch of kids playing with Lego's in their play room..."let's see what I can make if I do this..." I just don't see much point in it EXCEPT ...ego...TAH-DAH!!!
I'm sure that Rob or I could come up with plenty of justification for starting our own ryu (far more than most mentioned in these forums). We have menkyo (lots of 'em) from Japanese or Okinawan guys, we have trained for years in orthodox ryu, we know a little Japanese and can write a few kanji (Rob may know more than me), we have trained in weapons, iaido, etc. Why, Hell, I'm sure we both have enough imagination to stretch the seminars we've been to under well known Japanese/Okinawan "masters" into "training with" them (implying, of course that we were some kind of live-in student for years). AND, Rob and I can really do the kata...I mean, like, we actually train a lot. So, all that and competence, too. WOW! I can just see my Soke certificate on the wall now! (Rob, if you are reading this, send me 500 dollars and I'll mail you your Soke diploma. Do you want to be 9th or 10th dan?) But, we don't do that, we don't make those claims.
Now, Egg (and others) why do you suppose it is that Rob and I and many others out there with more skill and knowledge than us don't do that? Is it because we are less skilled? Have less training? Not as bright? What is the reason....let me see, hmmmmm...DAMN, I just can't figure...oh. well, it must be some stupid reason like honesty or integrity or respect for the tradition. How silly of me...
Why don't you find a real ryu and a real sensei and just be good friends with Mr. Madden? You all could still have a beer together once in a while.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Man
You have a interesting take on the history of karate

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gene Williams said:
I wasn't discussing the history of karate.

Indeed you were not.

I am all for discussion of Seieikan and it's differences/similarities with traditional arts; but, I would not consider such aggressive commentary to be discussion. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by this bootless flaming.

Thank you.

OP
G

Gene Williams

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't see that as flaming. It was a pretty straight forward statement with some examples that were not much of a stretch. A little sarcasm is a literary technique designed to highlight a point. Now, if I had said that you are hooked up with twits...THAT would have been flaming.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gene Williams said:
A little sarcasm is a literary technique designed to highlight a point.

I'm well aware of what sarcasm is, thank you. How it furthers one's point is significantly less clear.

OP
G

Gene Williams

Green Belt
Reaction score
So, why don't you respond to what I wrote instead of pretending to be injured?

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Gene Williams said:
Well Egg,
You seem to be a little defensive about the kata thing, and you seem to understand that there are traditional ryu that these kata came from. You are training in yet another derivative style which mixes and matches to suit the "founder's" tastes. I don't know what causes people to run off and start their own "style," but it is a real problem in this country. I can understand starting a kai, an organization within which Shito ryu, Shotokan, or Goju, for instance, is taught. This happens for political reasons, sometimes a Soke (a real one, not some Western wannabee) will authorize or give his blessing to something like that. But, the karate within a kai like that is still the original ryu. But, this business of mixing and matching kata (and usually inflating one's lineage or "expanding" on the truth of one's background) is like a bunch of kids playing with Lego's in their play room..."let's see what I can make if I do this..." I just don't see much point in it EXCEPT ...ego...TAH-DAH!!!
I'm sure that Rob or I could come up with plenty of justification for starting our own ryu (far more than most mentioned in these forums). We have menkyo (lots of 'em) from Japanese or Okinawan guys, we have trained for years in orthodox ryu, we know a little Japanese and can write a few kanji (Rob may know more than me), we have trained in weapons, iaido, etc. Why, Hell, I'm sure we both have enough imagination to stretch the seminars we've been to under well known Japanese/Okinawan "masters" into "training with" them (implying, of course that we were some kind of live-in student for years). AND, Rob and I can really do the kata...I mean, like, we actually train a lot. So, all that and competence, too. WOW! I can just see my Soke certificate on the wall now! (Rob, if you are reading this, send me 500 dollars and I'll mail you your Soke diploma. Do you want to be 9th or 10th dan?) But, we don't do that, we don't make those claims.
Now, Egg (and others) why do you suppose it is that Rob and I and many others out there with more skill and knowledge than us don't do that? Is it because we are less skilled? Have less training? Not as bright? What is the reason....let me see, hmmmmm...DAMN, I just can't figure...oh. well, it must be some stupid reason like honesty or integrity or respect for the tradition. How silly of me...
Why don't you find a real ryu and a real sensei and just be good friends with Mr. Madden? You all could still have a beer together once in a while.

so .....let me get this straight.....if an okinawan guy runs off and starts his own style based on anothers teaching......thats A-OK in your book. but if a white guy does it, he doesnt know a god damned thing?

so....you've studied hard, taken your vitamins and said your prayers. you can brush a few kanji and perform some kata.

does this mean you can act like an a**hole anytime you want too?

Kosokun

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Might just become a tradition!

If you've followed the history of how organizations form and break up, you'll find that it *is* the tradition.

Kidding aside, Gene's the real deal guys. He's been around the corner a bunch and like me, more times than not, the guys we've seen popping up as soke here in the states over the years are, well charlatans. Gene's a valuable resource for this board, and when you get to know him, he's got a great sense of humor. He plays a little rough, sometimes, but like the tough fighter in the dojo, you can learn a lot from him and improve because he pushes you.

Rob

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kosokun said:
If you've followed the history of how organizations form and break up, you'll find that it *is* the tradition.

Kidding aside, Gene's the real deal guys. He's been around the corner a bunch and like me, more times than not, the guys we've seen popping up as soke here in the states over the years are, well charlatans. Gene's a valuable resource for this board, and when you get to know him, he's got a great sense of humor. He plays a little rough, sometimes, but like the tough fighter in the dojo, you can learn a lot from him and improve because he pushes you.

Rob

Im sure that Gene is the "real deal", but his position as a teacher and valuable resource is invalidated by his lack of spirit in the quest for learning something new.
he tends to make remarks before he knows who are what it is he is talking about.
Being a great fighter in the dojo has nothing to do with interacting with your peers.
Its not hard for some people to be a jerk........why doesnt he impress us with his knowledge, not with a traditionalist ego that no one gives a crap about.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kosokun said:
Gene's a valuable resource for this board, and when you get to know him, he's got a great sense of humor. He plays a little rough, sometimes, but like the tough fighter in the dojo, you can learn a lot from him and improve because he pushes you.

Rob

So sorry, Kosokun; but, sarcasm and derision as teaching tools is utterly dysfunctional. Moreover, this is not a dojo. It's a discussion board. Not the same at all.

respectfully,

egg

Kosokun

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
so .....let me get this straight.....if an okinawan guy runs off and starts his own style based on anothers teaching......thats A-OK in your book. but if a white guy does it, he doesnt know a god damned thing?
If someone is teaching something that's based on another's teaching, then it's that other person's style. It's not appropriate for the fellow, Asian or not, to call himself soke of this other person's style. It's misleading and downright fraudulent for him to say that it's a new style and call himself "Soke".

If someone creates somethng that's genuinely new, then perhaps that'd be a good candidate for Soke. Perhaps Takayuki Kubota might be exemplary of this.

Rob

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kosokun said:
Kidding aside, Gene's the real deal guys. Rob

I've made no assumptions about his credibility. That seems to have been his approach, certainly not mine.

And I sensed no "kidding" in his remarks. Frequently ppl are quite happy to be as insulting as they please and then try to repackage it as "honesty". Some comments are respectful and some are not. It is quite clear where his statements fell.

I completely agree with you about charlatan sokes and such. From white belt all the way to grandmaster there are those who rely on nothing but hot air and a belt to try and promote themselves.

However, Mr. Madden is quite accomplished and recognized. Ko Sutemi Seiei Kan is a legitimate system.

If one prefers to believe it is not or wants to ramble on with a continuing thread where the semantics of the word "legitimate" is endlessly debated, they would probably be happier spending their time in the "Bible, Hell ..." thread where everyone gets the chance to add pointless rhetoric ad nauseum.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
If one prefers to believe it is not or wants to ramble on with a continuing thread where the semantics of the word "legitimate" is endlessly debated, they would probably be happier spending their time in the "Bible, Hell ..." thread where everyone gets the chance to add pointless rhetoric ad nauseum.

I agree. This thread was started simply to talk about training in Seieikan. It is not meant to be an 'Endless Debate' thread.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kosokun said:
If someone is teaching something that's based on another's teaching, then it's that other person's style. It's not appropriate for the fellow, Asian or not, to call himself soke of this other person's style. It's misleading and downright fraudulent for him to say that it's a new style and call himself "Soke".

If someone creates somethng that's genuinely new, then perhaps that'd be a good candidate for Soke. Perhaps Takayuki Kubota might be exemplary of this.

Rob

the whole soke issue has been gone over too times on martialtalk.
founding a system does not make one a soke.
this is way off topic though.

OP
G

Gene Williams

Green Belt
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
Im sure that Gene is the "real deal", but his position as a teacher and valuable resource is invalidated by his lack of spirit in the quest for learning something new.
he tends to make remarks before he knows who are what it is he is talking about.
Being a great fighter in the dojo has nothing to do with interacting with your peers.
Its not hard for some people to be a jerk........why doesnt he impress us with his knowledge, not with a traditionalist ego that no one gives a crap about.

Being a great fighter in a dojo has nothing to do with being "the real deal." Speaking of real deal, I notice you list the World Head of Sokeship Council on the first page of your website. Now, just how am I supposed to take you seriously? I learn something new every time I train...doing the same kata and applications I've done for years. Suggesting that tradition and the orthodox ryu might possibly be a better place to look for the spirit of Okinawan karate than some wannabee's made up style (regardless of what a wonderful person the guy might be) is hardly a "traditionalist ego." The "quest for learning something new" is a little more than playing around with anyone's ideas of what karate is and mixing and matching kata in the backyard. But, just as long as you're having fun I guess it doesn't matter.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
your MO is crystal clear gene........its the second time you have mentioned the link to the MACS page.
it doesnt hurt my feelings in the least.
but the fact remains that you do not exhibit the qualities that make someone the real deal.
you seem to be more interested in showing people how negative and closed your mind is to the possibility that anything other than traditional is worth a crap.
i would wager that a good many people see your ego, even if you dont.
if being good means being a good jerk.....keep it up, sensei

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Gene Williams said:
Being a great fighter in a dojo has nothing to do with being "the real deal." Speaking of real deal, I notice you list the World Head of Sokeship Council on the first page of your website. Now, just how am I supposed to take you seriously? I learn something new every time I train...doing the same kata and applications I've done for years. Suggesting that tradition and the orthodox ryu might possibly be a better place to look for the spirit of Okinawan karate than some wannabee's made up style (regardless of what a wonderful person the guy might be) is hardly a "traditionalist ego." The "quest for learning something new" is a little more than playing around with anyone's ideas of what karate is and mixing and matching kata in the backyard. But, just as long as you're having fun I guess it doesn't matter.

gene, i think its great you learn something new everytime you practice kata.......it tells me that you dont yet think you know it all.

playing around with ideas is the first step to discovery......you do it everytime you practice a kata or bunkai, but i still dont see how making up something new is so dreadfully awful?

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think there are better areas of the forum to discuss these particular topics. Maybe this should be spun off into a new thread?

Latest Discussions