Kosutemi Seieikan - Intro, General Info and Basics

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
I live in Fredericktown,Oh. I teach at a small dojo(Adults) in Columbus,Oh. When I am not at work. I am usually teaching or studying.

K

Kata kid

As a member of Ko Sutemi Seiei Kan, I can answer any questions concerning how are oganization is ran.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, kata kid. I, too, am a member of Kosutemi Seieikan. I study under Danny Phillips at Fairfield Beach. Where are you? Who do you train with?

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I moved on to the next two kata this last week, Pinan Shodan and Pinan Nidan. I am absolutely astounded by the siplicity of Nidan after Shodan.

Any input from you other Kosutemis as to why the complexity dropped so drastically between the two?

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, Originally the Pinan nidan kata was taught before the pinan shodan. Even though the number is higher. I do know that When Funakoshi took karate to Japan he switched the kata. Perhaps the names were mistakingly changed. The fukyugata were added to many karate schools later. Originally created in 1940. So, they are no way near as old as the Pinan kata. Which were created in 1905 by Ankoh Itosu to help institute karate into the physical education dept. of the Okinawan primary school system. The Pinan/or Heian kata were derived from the Kusanku(kanku) kata. There is also a theory that there is an older series of kata called the Channan. These kata have been mostly lost to time except for a few Okinawan teachers that have recently revived the kata.
Also, Most of the Ko Sutemi people only teach one of the Naihanchi kata,or none at all. When there are three. Then most teachers start teaching Seisan as part of their intermediate kata. After that it is up to the teacher.
Personally I teach kata in a specific curriculum for each belt level.
Fukyugata I&II
Pinan I-V
Naihanchi I-III
wansu
seisan
sanchin
rohai
ananko
wankan
chinte
jion
jiin
bassai dai
gojushiho dai
gojushiho sho
bassai dai(WKF)
chinto(wkf)
empi
koryugoju yonpo
kanku dai
nijushiho
kanku sho
seiyunchin
seipai(WKF)
sochin
suparempei
gankaku
kosokun dai
kosokun sho
After shodan,really it is up to the black belt on what kata that person would like to learn for the next level.
The Kobudo kata that I teach are:
bo ichi
bojutsu shodan
sai ichi
saijutsu shodan(kyannosai)
nunchaku ichi
tokumine no kun dai
tsuken no kon
tawada no sai
shushi no kon sho
sakagawa no kon
taira no bo
sai sanchi

OnlyAnEgg said:
I moved on to the next two kata this last week, Pinan Shodan and Pinan Nidan. I am absolutely astounded by the siplicity of Nidan after Shodan.

Any input from you other Kosutemis as to why the complexity dropped so drastically between the two?

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
The the (America's number 1 fighting school) title was given because at one time, Seiei Kan had more black belts in the USA national karate teach, had more wins in both national and international karate competitions and we are know for our fighting ability.

I have found several website sthat contain information on this style. So far thwe differences I se are in the names of the kata. They seem to like to say that they are the nation's #1 fighting school, not really sure how they come up with that? I will keep looking and see what I can come up with.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thats was USA National karate Team, sorry about the typo. Sometimes I get typing too fast and not paying attention to where my fingers are on the keyboard. Oops.

Latest Discussions