koryu uchinadi

combatisshinryu

White Belt
Reaction score
as an okinawan arts practicioner I am fascinated by this exploratin of ancient okinawan warrior arts. How would koryu uchinadi fit in with Japanese koryu arts?

Sojobo

Green Belt
Reaction score
as an okinawan arts practicioner I am fascinated by this exploratin of ancient okinawan warrior arts. How would koryu uchinadi fit in with Japanese koryu arts?

As I understand it, Koryu Uchinadi is the name of a group headed by Patrick McCarthy and although contains the word "Koryu" in the title is most definitely not a Koryu (and I know you are not saying that it is).

To be fair, if you read the blerb on his web site he says as much, and perhaps uses the term "koryu" in the sense that it is "old school methods" - from a perspective of karate in order to re-connect with the origins of the art.

Although I am a member of a Koryu group, my experience is limited - so my words should be read as that of a novice, however I do feel that the key is in the word "Koryu" and understanding what that means.

I have read with pleasure some of Chris' posts on this board and concur that it is more about the continuity of the Ryu - the stream as it were and I think that's the difference.

As far as I can see, koryu Uchinadi is about the re-discovery of ancient ways and putting them back into practice (which is great I hasten to add). In Japanese Koryu, the ancient ways have been continuously practiced, therefore never lost and further more built upon for generations - a very organic process, in that is a stream of consciousness that has continued to flow for generations from teacher to student.

Think I have confused myself with that answer, but then again as I said Japanese Koryu is a very new and scary thing for me.

Sojobo

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yep, absolutely correct. Koryu Uchinadi Kenpo translates pretty much as "old school Okinawan Karate", really, and is Patrick McCarthy Kyoshi's association for exploration into what they feel are the original, or at least, closer to the original meanings for the kata and other training and technical methods. There is a large basis in older Chinese texts, which of course takes it further and further from any association with Japanese Koryu systems in anything but name.

For the record, though, one Karate system, Goju Ryu, has actually been accepted by a Koryu group, the Dai Nippon Butokukai in 1998. Their reasoning was that the individual credited as the founder of Goju (Kanryo Higashioanna) possibly formulated what would later be known as Goju Ryu in the mid-late 1800's. This is one of the more controversial inclusions in a Koryu grouping, along with a branch of the Jikishinkage Ryu Naginatajutsu, which was formulated after the Meiji Restoration, and has been accepted by one group.

Patrick McCarthy

White Belt
Reaction score
Sorry I missed this thread ... don't get over this way very much; happy to answer any queries left remaining.

Black Belt Jedi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I find Koryu Uchinadi a great art that supplements with any Karate system in order to understand the principles of classical katas. I trained in that art for a few years and I found that it helps me comprehend the many bunkai applications found in classical katas. I have attended one seminar with Hanshi McCarthy last year, and it was awesome.

Patrick McCarthy

White Belt
Reaction score
Let me see now ... I have been a member here since 2006 ... you since - this year; what is it that surprises you?

Yanagi

White Belt
Reaction score
Yes we have met last year in Hamilton. My name is Jonathan. I trained in KU with Sensei Mike Coombs for a few years. I'm surprised to see you here on Martial Talk. How are you?

Jonathan... With respect, I introduced you to some of the drills. However, If you are interested in training in KU full time you can contact me privately at my dojo. My dojo is only 5-7 minutes from you.

Patrick McCarthy

White Belt
Reaction score
I never thought you would be posting at Martial Talk since you are busy traveling teaching at seminars and so forth.

Admittedly, I don't get the opportunity to drop by much but if and when I have the time it's a pleasure to visit the forum and catch up with what's going on.

Season's Greetings

Latest Discussions