Korean for Okinawan word: Wanduan

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think Wanduan is supposed to mean King's Sword. Not sure though. Or it might be the name of a King from Okinawa. I'll scrounge around the 'net and see if I can pull more info....

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
John, do you have a video of Wanduan? I don't believe I've ever seen it performed. What Okinawan systems practice it?

OP
JWLuiza

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
I do a bastardized version (check my blog for video). And here is a link to a more authentic version:

Last edited by a moderator:

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks. It's somewhat of an odd form, no? I saw recognizable bits that resemble sequences from Rohai and Seiunchin. Almost like someone intentionally set out to mix movements from the Shuri and Naha systems.

Dumb question: how did this make it into your Tang Soo Do school?

OP
JWLuiza

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks. It's somewhat of an odd form, no? I saw recognizable bits that resemble sequences from Rohai and Seiunchin. Almost like someone intentionally set out to mix movements from the Shuri and Naha systems.

Dumb question: how did this make it into your Tang Soo Do school?

It didn't. :)

Someone I know and whose forms I admired was doing the version I'm doing. I thought it was a great form. I eventually got McCarthy's book, so I saw where he had changed things. Watched a few tapes sent a few emails.... And here I am. I've only put about 4-6 hours into the form. Hopefully I'll be able to see him when I go home for break to work out some kinks. Also another black belt I know does the traditional version and I'll bug him too when I go home to visit.

So....basically I'm a forms whore.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Cool. I used to 'know' a lot of forms. These days with the limited time I have to myself to practice, I pretty much focus on 3 or so forms, but I rotate one in every now and then just to keep things fresh.

OP
JWLuiza

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I generally keep one form on constant practice and pull 2 others in as the mood strikes. I was doing Ee Sip Sa Bo for..... 8-9 years. So I'm putting that on the back burner for now.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
God I remember that form from my Okinawa days of doing Karate, my father loved this form.