OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good suggestion, Lamont. Been thinking about that very thing.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here he is. Underweight, thin, and ... adjusting. Damn, he's strong.

Attachments

• $koda.jpg
    $koda.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 103

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Koda is very beautiful! You wondered if your dog is pedigreed (purebreed). It looks like he is. Koda's markings (other than the color) look similar to mine. Let me share a couple of pictures of Cinnamon.

Attachments

• $Cinnamon.jpg
    $Cinnamon.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 93
  • $CinnamonOutside.jpg
    $CinnamonOutside.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 95

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Here he is. Underweight, thin, and ... adjusting. Damn, he's strong.

What a beautiful dog! :) I hope that he adjusts well to the family - especially to your cat.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He is pedigreed - I have the family history now and vet records.

I must say I'm not pleased with how the transfer was handled nor at his low weight. I'll be contacting the breeder momentarily.

Right now, he doesn't want to be walked, he's actually quite fine relaxing in the backyard. Much to my protestations and admonitions, my children are smothering the poor thing. He's very moody right now. He's growled a few times and nipped at my youngest, and lightly snarled at me.

I hoping this is just transition.

*edit*

Ceicei, Cinnamon is beautiful!

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Absolutely gorgeous dog,Geo!

I'm also hoping it's just a "new pack" thing..hopefully he'll figure out his place quickly. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Very cute girl,Ceicei!! She looks like fun.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
He is pedigreed - I have the family history now and vet records.

I must say I'm not pleased with how the transfer was handled nor at his low weight. I'll be contacting the breeder momentarily.

Right now, he doesn't want to be walked, he's actually quite fine relaxing in the backyard. Much to my protestations and admonitions, my children are smothering the poor thing. He's very moody right now. He's growled a few times and nipped at my youngest, and lightly snarled at me.

I hoping this is just transition.

*edit*

Ceicei, Cinnamon is beautiful!

My Experience with Huskies both as a child and as an adult.

While as I child a neighbor had them and they were outside dogs and were very protective of the family and children. Never bit a neighbor kid but but would run inbetween the two so the kid could get free.

As an Adult I have a very close friend I call Brother, and he has one. His name is Hercules. He likes to growl and talk smack as we say. But this is how he plays. Not sure if this is a trait amongst males or not. I mean Male Huskies that is. ;) He lives well with other small dogs, but wants to play when others enter his front yard.

He loves to run and my Friend would get tired so he went for a bike ride while the dog ran. Well the dog and lead and bike all got tangled. The good news is the dog was perfectly fine. the bad news is my friend fell hard and required surgery on his hand to repair broken bones.

In general I would say they are loyal and protective but fun, and require some room to run or time to run.

I play rough with Herc, but he does not play rough with the kids, but maybe this is because he understands "down" and "no".

Hopefully the dog will adjust well.

Best wishes to Koda and his new family. :)

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Possibly (and quite likely) "new pack" nerves, especially if he doesn't know your family well or at all. It'll take a little time to adjust, and while still trying to get him used to you, try to keep it to more of a minimum (hard with kids, I know). When I first got my dog, she was very shy and didn't want to be bothered too much. She was almost 1 year old when we got her, but it really didn't take too long for adjustments. It just depends on breed and their personality. Watch out for the nose though- wandering to unwanted territories like your backside.

Gorgeous dogs, by the way!

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Took him for his first walk with us. He clearly hates a choke collar and my suspiscion is that he was left for long periods of time on the choke. He clearly hasn't been worked with at all and tries to run the show.

So we're going to have to get him to the vet and work with him A LOT!

Here's two more. The first is him face on - isn't he Beautiful?? The second illustrates how boney he is - a travesty for such a fine looking animal.

Attachments

• $koda2.jpg
    $koda2.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 97
  • $koda3.jpg
    $koda3.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 93

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He's quite lovely - he'll be even better when he's fattened up and filled out.

Don't hesitate to call a trainer if you need one - it made all the difference with my dog, because I didn't really know how to train him. I'd ditch the choke collar, especially if he doesn't like it - if he pulls, try a Gentle Leader or a Sensation Harness; my dog learned that if he stopped pulling, I took it off (I used a Gentle Leader).

I hope you hear from the breeder soon - s/he should have some good ideas for you too. Kudos to you and your family for taking him in.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Georgia I agree with the others... he's a gorgeous dog. A keeper IMO. Hopefully all that growling, snarling and nipping is just an adjustment period. Still keep a close eye on him irregardless. If he were a pup then concern is minimal but as a full grown adult there are habits that will take time to break, and even then.
A good trainer would be a great idea.

Great pics... thanks for sharing... I already know how beautiful Cinnamon is... live with her now (temporarily of course :rolleyes: )

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Took him to the 24 hour vet hospital where we waited for two and a half hours. I finally left and made an appointment to come back tomorrow.

The second walk went MUCH better. He certainly is testing his limits ... and my strength. My hands are raw from the leash. He wants to dominate every animal he sees, unfortunately.

Next call ... the breeder.

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I'm aware that animals do have individual personalities, and I'm trying right now to eliminate my fear for my cat and my trepeditions for my landscaping (which isn't what I really want anyway). . :)

With that dog's lineage, I don't think the cost of landscaping will be an issue. I hope you plan to breed it, not only will it promote a strong bloodline it will make you some serious cash.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shaolinwind said:
With that dog's lineage, I don't think the cost of landscaping will be an issue. I hope you plan to breed it, not only will it promote a strong bloodline it will make you some serious cash.

I have the pedigree and none of the dogs for the prior three generations are championship dogs - I don't even know if they've competed, but I doubt it.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kacey said:
He's quite lovely - he'll be even better when he's fattened up and filled out.

Don't hesitate to call a trainer if you need one - it made all the difference with my dog, because I didn't really know how to train him. I'd ditch the choke collar, especially if he doesn't like it - if he pulls, try a Gentle Leader or a Sensation Harness; my dog learned that if he stopped pulling, I took it off (I used a Gentle Leader).

I hope you hear from the breeder soon - s/he should have some good ideas for you too. Kudos to you and your family for taking him in.

Great advice regarding the trainer!! I worked with a few of them, and it made a world of difference. I have a harness which works good for the most part. I've had to use the choke collar as well as some of the things the trainers have shown, to stop the pulling. I've tried the Gentle Leader twice and I didn't have much luck.

Mike

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Took him for his first walk with us. He clearly hates a choke collar and my suspiscion is that he was left for long periods of time on the choke. He clearly hasn't been worked with at all and tries to run the show.

So we're going to have to get him to the vet and work with him A LOT!

Here's two more. The first is him face on - isn't he Beautiful?? The second illustrates how boney he is - a travesty for such a fine looking animal.

Wow. Apparently your friends didn't take good care of him - I hope they divorced before they had human children...

Great looking dog! Hope it works out well for both of you. As you know, I have a rescue as well (a cat who thinks he's a dog) and I can't imagine life without him now. He's sitting with me right now as I type this.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
As you know, I have a rescue as well (a cat who thinks he's a dog) and I can't imagine life without him now. He's sitting with me right now as I type this.

Jonathan don't you realize that without your knowledge (or consent) the CAT is telling you what to type?

Latest Discussions