Koda the Siberian Husky ...

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
Jonathan don't you realize that without your knowledge (or consent) the CAT is telling you what to type?
ROFL, ROFL! :rofl: Oh man, no kidding. Stay away from the cats, they're freaking evil!

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Koda left our home today to return to his original owners, much to my dismay.

While I don't think we were the right family for Koda (or perhaps it was not the right time for our family to live with Koda), I don't think the original owners were right for Koda either.

So I'm posting this plea:

If you are entertaining the idea of owning an animal - any animal - for domestic purposes, TAKE GOOD CARE IN YOUR CHOICE.

Koda's humans bought him because "they always wanted a Husky." He is a magnificent animal, to be sure. But these people didn't know squat about owning a dog. Purebreed Huskies are not family dogs unless the family has more huskies and centers their lives around forwarding the interests of the breed. They didn't know about adolescent dogs and their drives or how to abate them. Koda is 15 months old and they think he's showable, yet they have not worked with him towards that end.

DON'T BUY FAD ANIMALS ... you know, like pit bulls ... just because they're the kind of dog to own. This is not about a name across your ***, this is about the life of a living being.

DON'T BUY PRETTY ANIMALS because they're pretty looking. This is not about your looks or how the animal will go with your outfit or the look of your home.

DON'T BUY DAMAGED ANIMALS unless you are prepared to WORK with them. That's right - work. A lot of it. Dedicated and from the heart.

DO answer some tough questions honestly first, like what is the purpose the animal will serve in your family, e.g. a hunting companion, a family companion dog or cat, a watch dog, a show animal, entertainment for the kids, etcetera. Who is going to care for the animal? Not who do you want to care for the animal, but who WILL care for the animal? What expenses are you willing to incur for the animal? What happens if the animal gets ill? Are you willing to administer injections if the animal is defective or requires surgery?

After you answer these questions honestly, analyze your answers and research breeds and types of animals that best fit your family.

Please respect non-human living beings for what they are and their purpose in the world. Obtain an animal you can commit to as you would a marriage or a child. Anything less is inhumane.

I'll post last-day pics of Koda later today.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh, God, I am so sorry. I know you might not have been the right family for Koda, as you said, but it's really too bad he had to go back to the family you rescued him from.

The rest of the post was wonderful - maybe you should post it separately so more people will read it.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sorry about Koda. I hope the original family will treat Koda better than they did before. Do you plan on getting another dog, or just keep the cats you have?

- Ceicei

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Koda left our home today to return to his original owners, much to my dismay.

While I don't think we were the right family for Koda (or perhaps it was not the right time for our family to live with Koda), I don't think the original owners were right for Koda either.

So I'm posting this plea:

If you are entertaining the idea of owning an animal - any animal - for domestic purposes, TAKE GOOD CARE IN YOUR CHOICE.

Koda's humans bought him because "they always wanted a Husky." He is a magnificent animal, to be sure. But these people didn't know squat about owning a dog. Purebreed Huskies are not family dogs unless the family has more huskies and centers their lives around forwarding the interests of the breed. They didn't know about adolescent dogs and their drives or how to abate them. Koda is 15 months old and they think he's showable, yet they have not worked with him towards that end.

DON'T BUY FAD ANIMALS ... you know, like pit bulls ... just because they're the kind of dog to own. This is not about a name across your ***, this is about the life of a living being.

DON'T BUY PRETTY ANIMALS because they're pretty looking. This is not about your looks or how the animal will go with your outfit or the look of your home.

DON'T BUY DAMAGED ANIMALS unless you are prepared to WORK with them. That's right - work. A lot of it. Dedicated and from the heart.

DO answer some tough questions honestly first, like what is the purpose the animal will serve in your family, e.g. a hunting companion, a family companion dog or cat, a watch dog, a show animal, entertainment for the kids, etcetera. Who is going to care for the animal? Not who do you want to care for the animal, but who WILL care for the animal? What expenses are you willing to incur for the animal? What happens if the animal gets ill? Are you willing to administer injections if the animal is defective or requires surgery?

After you answer these questions honestly, analyze your answers and research breeds and types of animals that best fit your family.

Please respect non-human living beings for what they are and their purpose in the world. Obtain an animal you can commit to as you would a marriage or a child. Anything less is inhumane.

I'll post last-day pics of Koda later today.

It is very important to think things through very carefully when purchasing a pet that will become part of your family. It is after all a life that needs nurturing, friendship and love. Sorry that you had to let Koda go but kudos for your words above.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry about Koda. I hope the original family will treat Koda better than they did before. Do you plan on getting another dog, or just keep the cats you have?

- Ceicei

We talked with the original owner - I hope I was nice - about talking more with breeders and animal trainers who have particular knowledge of Huskies. I shared with her what I learned and also told her that if things didn't work out with her situation and she finds that she can no longer keep him again, then we will be happy to take him back and ensure he gets bred at least and goes to a home where he will be cared for according to his needs and talents.

Before getting another dog, we likely will wait to enclose more of the side yards which will more than double the size of our existing backyard, until the situation with my Mom changes, and when I am no longer in a high-level volunteer position with Girl Scouting. Right now, I'm in charge of the neighborhood (shared with two other women) and it's a full-time volunteer position. So no matter what we do next, I want to be able to train up a puppy or work with a rescued dog, whatever will be the best fit for the family. I think it's an endeavor that requires some focus and work and I won't have it any other way.

The cat stays - she's a great fit for our family.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Before getting another dog, we likely will wait to enclose more of the side yards which will more than double the size of our existing backyard, until the situation with my Mom changes, and when I am no longer in a high-level volunteer position with Girl Scouting. Right now, I'm in charge of the neighborhood (shared with two other women) and it's a full-time volunteer position. So no matter what we do next, I want to be able to train up a puppy or work with a rescued dog, whatever will be the best fit for the family. I think it's an endeavor that requires some focus and work and I won't have it any other way.

I'm sorry that you had to make the choice,but I'm very glad you did what you had to do for the best interest of everyone involved.

I just wish more people would take the time to educate themselves properly before adopting a rescue or buying a pup. It's never "just a dog".

Good job,Geo.:)

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Huskeys are something we might agree on, I have had 3 in my life and they are great dogs.

But, they tend to hate cats, my second one killed a stray cat my brother brought home as soon as she saw it.

They like to run off the first chance they get, you undue the leash and it's a veiw of tail and butt. They will come back but breaking them from running of takes alot of work.

They are not the best protectors of property, but they do defend their family ( My first actually chased of 2 dogs who were harrasing our cat.
Nobody messed with Willie's cat but Willie!

They are hell to teach to walk with a leash, as they have thousands of years of pulling things in their blood. Choke chainsdontseem to work on them as well as other breeds.

Enjoy, they are the best looking dogs on the planet and I have loved everyone I have had.

Latest Discussions