Koda the Siberian Husky ...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... will be gracing my Ford Explorer and family with his unneutered presence Wednesday night. Pedigreed, supposedly, and in a tight spot. Guess I'll be getting that exercise now.... I just don't want him to eat my cat.

Doing my research now ... any input welcome ... pix coming.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
... will be gracing my Ford Explorer and family with his unneutered presence Wednesday night. Pedigreed, supposedly, and in a tight spot. Guess I'll be getting that exercise now.... I just don't want him to eat my cat.

Make sure he keeps his collar on - it's easier (and safer) to grab than his tail. Enjoy!

Fight the Power!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Could you define... "tight spot" ? You just watching him for a friend, he's abandoned? He knock up some dog(s) that he shouldn't have? What?

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Huskies are generally oversized babies, and pretty good with other animals (but there are no "cookie cutter's" if you catch my drift). My uncle had 2 huskies, and 3 cats (they got when the dogs were older), and it seems like everyone got along quite well. How old is the dog? You could also talk to the vet and see if you can give a mild sedative if the dog is real hyper. I've seen 1 baby asprin being recommended, but ask to see if it's ok.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's exciting Geo. Husky's are cool. My husband had one when we met. Beautiful dogs. Can't wait to see pics. :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
shesulsa said:

Yes, you will be getting your exercise!:) I have a Shepherd/Husky mix and he is full of energy!! For the most part, he's good with other animals, although he has his moments. I'd get some good sturdy chew toys and some treats to bring along.

Good luck with everything! Looking forward to those pics!

Mike

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Koda's owners, a married couple, are divorcing and neither can keep the dog, so you could say we're rescuing him.

The dog is 18 months old and, as I said, unneutered. The verbal history I've heard is that there is only one other such animal in the US that is more desirable for studding. He's been cat-scanned for defects and everything.

I don't know yet what his class is.

I'm a bit worried that he was an indoor dog before and from what I've read they're only house-trainable to a point. Also, Koda has never had to live with a cat before, nor has Vixen (cat) had to live with any other animal besides my children before and she is strictly an indoor cat.

I've been reading, but I need to go buy some supplies. Right now, the yard we have for Koda is rather small but secure. We were planning on doubling the backyard size anyway, so we have a major fencing project to start, now.

I know they're not great guard dogs because they're so darn friendly, but they're good with children and other dogs. I read specifically that they've been known to kill and eat cats (boo), squirrels (yay), rabbit (boo), rats (yay) and even sheep (though no sheep here, of course).

I'm aware that animals do have individual personalities, and I'm trying right now to eliminate my fear for my cat and my trepeditions for my landscaping (which isn't what I really want anyway). I wanna welcome Koda completely free of negativity and I'm having a hard time with it. I need to meditate, I think. :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I'm a bit worried that he was an indoor dog before and from what I've read they're only house-trainable to a point. Also, Koda has never had to live with a cat before, nor has Vixen (cat) had to live with any other animal besides my children before and she is strictly an indoor cat.

My dog was also rescued. He was fully house trained prior to getting him. His only 'accident' was the first night we brought him home and I attribute that to overall excitement of being in a new, unfamiliar place. It was in the garage, so not a big deal to clean up. He was on a pretty good schedule so I did my best to keep up with that.

As for the other animals...well, thats where I said he has his moments.:) The only thing I can suggest there, is to try and socialize the 2 of them as soon as you can, if you haven't already.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Husky's are an awesome breed of dog. But..like most working dogs they need something to do (read lots-o-exercise or a "job") and a firm,but loving hand when setting boundaries and house rules.

I won't kid you,though..18 months is *after* the pup's initial personality imprint periods. He's now sorta fixed in his ways. So..

You might run into aggression isssues:

(food,territory,possessions,fear)..but you may not either. I don't know if the former owners knew of these things,so anything's possible. I would suggest reading up,if you haven't already,on dominance training and learning how to spot the early signs of issues. It may help you to nip some problems in the bud now..while he's young enough and while it's easy.

Husky's are a high-energy handful..but they can also be the biggest sweethearts when properly socialized and acclimated to the way your house runs. My buddy at work has a Husky and she is a "talking" freak. Cracks me up every time.

Good luck and muy grande Kudo's for taking Koda in.

gardawamtu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Get a good vacuum!
Seriously, I've had a Husky for about 11 years now, and she is a wonderful pet. The only real problem I've had is the shedding.

Huskies obviously love to run -- happens to be my dog's favorite activity. Mine has been friendly with cats before. In fact even dogs that were not so friendly with her, she would go right up to and lick.

They are OK with kids, but any kid can pester a dog to the breaking point.

Be prepared for everyone to tell you how beautiful your dog is -- one of the highlights of ceing a husky owner! :partyon:

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had a Huskie who was a Champion Show Dog... His name was Starbuck (what can I say, I was a Battlestar Galactica fan when I was a kid) and lemme tell ya... all that dog ever wanted to do was RUN.

And RUN.

And RUN.

And RUN.

And ya know what else?

RUN.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
At 18 months old, he's still a puppy. Seems like bigger dogs get out of that stage more slowly, so yes- you'll have to curb some of the impulses, and encourage some (in play). The dog is still trainable, and do try to introduce the cat and dog little by little, if possible. About the sedative- I meant if you were going on a trip with the cat and stuff (I misunderstood, sorry). As long as he has room to run and gets a lot of walks, he should be fine. They also shed a lot!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He sounds like a good dog - if you're concerned about behavior, studding, etc., you should contact his breeder. Any reputable breeder would also take the dog back in any circumstances. If your friends can't give you information about the breeder, then I would suggest you do some more research about his future as a stud; in general, no reputable breeder would adopt out a dog of that quality to people who don't know how to set up a breeding program, and your friends should be able to provide you with that information. If they can't, chances are they were mislead or misinformed by a less than reputable breeder. If they've done all the testing, then the breeder should have files as well, as the breeder will be tracking puppies for his/her own records, and will be able to help you with any questions you have.

Here are some dog resources for you:

http://www.akc.org/
http://www.dogproblems.com/
http://www.dogtrainingpro.com/
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/idx1.html
http://members.tripod.com/antique_fcr/goodbreeder.html

Just a note: some of these sites were recommended to me by other people on craigslist.org (pet board), and I don't necessarily have personal experience with all of them, but there are some very knowledgeable people on that board.

Good luck with your new family member!

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice and kudos, all. Paul ... muchas gracias!

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
there is only one other such animal in the US that is more desirable for studding.
Flatlander said:
I'm in Canada, actually.... ;)

Funny story - Husband and I were talking to the children about the dog and what neutering is, how his unneutered status will affect his behavior, and that we might stud him out if it's possible.

When I mentioned that the fees will help pay for his vet bills and care, my 13-yr-old daughter cried out, "you mean you're gonna pimp the dog out?! :lol2:

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have a red Siberian Husky with pale blue eyes, Cinnamon. I got her from an abusive family when she was 7 months old. She hated men and didn't like any one to touch her head, especially her ears. She took an affinity to me and later on to my oldest son. It took her a long time before she accepted my husband and the rest of the family. She especially had a hard time with MA-Caver.

When I bought her, I only met the previous owner's mother. I am guessing the previous owner may have looked/smelled similar to MA-Caver.

Eventually, she became comfortable enough after a few years with us that she is no longer head-shy and she doesn't fear men any more. In fact, she loves MA-Caver.

Now she is 5 years old.

Cinnamon definitely LOVES to run and will run for miles and miles and miles. She became an escape artist. We were finally able to block up all her escapes, so now the only times she escapes is on carelessness of a person with the door.

Eventually, she blew out her knee (doggie version of ACL) and required surgery to repair. In spite of that, she still tries to run, but tires easily and her leg gets sore.

She has developed enough trust so now she returns to us after escaping.

She sheds a lot and requires constant brushing. Since the summertime gets hot, we cut Cinnamon's fur short.

Cinnamon gets along with our black lab, Hershey, but she doesn't like other animals. She is very territorial. She has killed birds, voles, mice, and a cat (inadvertently wandered into the backyard). She has nearly killed another cat (brother of the first one) and a miniature schnauzer belonging to a friend (her daughter put the schnauzer in the backyard without asking). Fortunately, the schnauzer survived.

She is aloof, but is a loving dog with whom she trusts.

- Ceicei

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
When I bought her, I only met the previous owner's mother. I am guessing the previous owner may have looked/smelled similar to MA-Caver.
I do NOT smell like the previous owner! Hmmpph! :fart: errr... umm.. disregard that...

Seriously, Cinnamon managed to get used to me that is for sure. Probably because I was being the one bringing her food (and making sure that their water bowl was filled) and giving encouraging words as gently as I could. It took time but it's where she's happy to see me and nudges Hershey outta the way to vie for my attentions. :D

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
When I mentioned that the fees will help pay for his vet bills and care, my 13-yr-old daughter cried out, "you mean you're gonna pimp the dog out?! :lol2:

LMAO!!! That's too funny! :lfao:

Um...she's right... :shrug:

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Shesulsa,
You probably want to block of a section of your house so your cat has a safe zone to go to. We used baby gates that were elevated about 6 inches to allow our cats to get used to the dogs. Once they figure out each other, then gates can come down.

lamont

Latest Discussions