Not open for further replies.
OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
What happened to blue belt? Isn't blue still between yellow and green?

erp! I don't honestly know or else I'm brainlocked with the TKD heirarchy. I should be (how's this) Post-Yellow by the beginning of February.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
lol That'll work.

The progression of belts (back in the olden days) was:

White, Yellow, Blue, Green, Purple, Brown, Brown (2nd degree), Black (and degrees thereof).

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks, Navarre.

Yesterday, at work, I was out in the RADIAC building doing some updates. I knew one woman out there competed in TKD for some time; so, I started her talking about it. Turns out she practiced ATA TKDfor some 11 years and was only to ready to brag about it :) A little later, another coworker came in and, as it turns out, he is involved in karate, as well! He knows my sensei and my sensei's sensei,too. He took the time to explain to me the three levels of blocking/striking and how to move off-center when my opponent is closing the gap along the center. I was ready to try this out at class last night. Unfortunately, sensei didn't seem to get the memo and was attacking me off center all evening.
It was a nice, small class. I got to sparrwith sensei and another black and there was a lot more detailed information as there were fewer people attending. Moreover, I was introduced to the bo. I made sensei happy by knowing that the weapon was an extension of my hand. He took some time to talk about striking along the center and holding the bo properly. He also had me promise to take him with me when I buy mine.
I got to show off my trophies to our two classes this week and sensei bragged up a storm on me :) Too right, eh? Now, my next step, seriously, is to get the rest of my classmates to tourney, too. There's little or no tourney involvement. I don't get it.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Many ppl, even some higher ranks, lack the confidence to step in front of 300 ppl and put themselves on display. This is especially true with martial arts because it's something you love but are afraid being judged (literally).

It is a very individual display and so you really put yourself on the line (literally, again). One of the several reasons I like tournaments is because it develops the ability to face mental obstacles, to perform under stress, and to own up to who we are.

A tournament may be as close to a real fight as it is to yodeling but it has its good points too. I hope you get some company the next time you go to one.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with the yodelling analogy. Competition is the arena, though, where I can place myself in the order, overall (at least for one day). It's where I can put the teachings I've recieved into practice. To me, competition, in Seieikan, at least, is integral to the art.

I'm holding myself back from saying cometition should be integral to most MA; but, only because I don't really know it all.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
I'm holding myself back from saying cometition should be integral to most MA; but, only because I don't really know it all.

That's okay. I still have 2 or 3 days to go before I've learned and mastered all of martial arts myself. There are many styles and thousands of years; it's taken me the better part of a month to master it all.

btw, next time you're shooting in at an angle, try actually going at a close angle against his guard side (the raised blocking hand). The arm is often strong and prepared for a direct assault. However, it's easily tapped out of the way at the elbow.

If he's an orthodox fighter his left hand will be up at his face. Shoot close to his left arm. Keep your own left up as you come in to protect from a potential left backfist.

Once inside of his backfist range, pop your left hand down in a short arc and sweep his left arm aside by directing his elbow inward. As simultaneously as possible strike either his head or his now-exposed ribs with your right reverse punch.

Hope it works for you. Have fun!

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
Y'see? You really have mastered all of martial arts after all.

Then why do these chucks keep cracking the back of me skull?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The chucks are just checking to make sure they don't have weak spots in them. They do this by hittinfg objects harder then themsleves most of the time.
Best of luck on you upcomeing test (which ever belt it may be)

Many folks find that there are other martial arts practictioners where they work.. It is the ones that don't run around bragging about their expertise that you seem to get the most information from when you discover who they are. enjoy the comradeship you may get from these people and the knowledge they may give you

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks, TS. Recieving a belt has been delayed largely because I wanted to spend the $40 for AKJU membership on Christmas and, just as much, because I wanted to observe the organization some before I aligned with it as a member. I'm already at yellow level, so I've been told, and will recieve that belt when I cough up the dough, The next real test will be blue.

Honestly, the chucks are searching for this 'weak spot' because I'm doing a reverse shoulder pass and I know I shouldn't be practicing that, yet. I suspect it's some form of reminder that I shouod practice what I should practice and not extend myself beyond that. Maybe, they're magic chucks?

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
Hey, Egg, have you had any progress learning the moves to the first Seiei Kan chuck kata?

Actually, no. Danny is pressing me toward learning the Bo ichi; so, no chucks (sanctioned) at this time. I'm still working on basic passes, stops and spins on my own, though. When the time comes, it should just be a simple act of placing them all together in kata.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So, do you still want to know the moves of the kata or wait? I started typing them all out but haven't finished. Videoing it would be easier maybe.

How's Bo Ichi going? I took down the link to the vid file because it was eating up space on my site.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
So, do you still want to know the moves of the kata or wait? I started typing them all out but haven't finished. Videoing it would be easier maybe.

How's Bo Ichi going? I took down the link to the vid file because it was eating up space on my site.

I would love to have the moves. I would so stun Danny :) Bo has not begun....holidays are too close and classes are spread farther apart d/t that fact. He wants me to take him with me when I purchase the weapon, too, and I haven't done that, yet.

I copied locally the Bo kata you had posted. So, I thank you for that.

:asian:

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
I copied locally the Bo kata you had posted. So, I thank you for that.

Oh, sure. You're welcome. ... Now please remit $24.95 to my personal account. Major credit cards accepted.

I'll see what I can do with the chuck kata. I'll say right now that it's not one that we spent a lot of time on in our class. You might want to verify the moves with someone before the Grand Unveiling to your sensei.

We've always tried to keep every move of every kata the same through generations but we were so removed from the Org for a long time. Something may have changed.

For example, our opening move is to swing one chuck in a regular clockwise circle while chanting "Woo-Woo! Woo-Woo!" ... You might want to double-check that move.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
For example, our opening move is to swing one chuck in a regular clockwise circle while chanting "Woo-Woo! Woo-Woo!" ... You might want to double-check that move.

It doesn't matter if that's right or not, I'm doing it :)

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Egg, I don't know if this is something which interests you, but I caught wind that Don Madden is trying to arrange a tournament connection in Taiwan, similar to his situation with the Irish Cup. Team members would get transportation and lodging at a discount.
Just passin' a rumor along :) .

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Randy Strausbaugh said:
Egg, I don't know if this is something which interests you, but I caught wind that Don Madden is trying to arrange a tournament connection in Taiwan, similar to his situation with the Irish Cup. Team members would get transportation and lodging at a discount.
Just passin' a rumor along :) .

Thanks, Randy. That would be an incredible adventure, to be certain. I'm sure I'll be at some competition that he's at, too, this 1st quarter. I'll see what he has to say about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions