Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Truth be told, I will be competing in the Senior Novice Division. I'm an old toddler...heheh. Thing is, I don't have to take my competitor's head home as a trophy; but, I will, if I have to :)

I have no idea how many rings; but, the flyer stated very clearly that I must have kumite competition in my division in order to qualify for Grand Champion. This suggests that there my be a less than stellar across-the-board showing. We'll see.

My goil, she be not wanting to spend 8 hours at comp...I suppose I can't blame her. And it WILL be fun :)

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Since this is your first big tournament I suggest you take some time to get a feel for who the "top dog" is amongst the black belts. Most likely he or she will be an older individual of high rank and good-natured demeanor.

Then, during a time when many of the general public are around, openly approach this person. Claim your ability to be far superior to his and make a few derogatory remarks about both his school and his mamma. Then challenge him to open combat in the middle of the tournament floor.

This is a great way to get your name known amongst many schools. I think you will find this event to be most...educational.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That sounds reasonable. I will try it!

Should my selection be the largest or just the one that commands the most subservience?

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
That sounds reasonable. I will try it!

Should my selection be the largest or just the one that commands the most subservience?

You should be able to find him easy by the pissing he's done to mark his territory. Follow the smell.....

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well...that was a long day. I got to the comp at 9:30 and left after Sensei competed, about 6:00.

There were about 350 competitors in kumite, randori, grappling, kata and weapons. There were 2 or 3 Haedong competitors, several Tai Chi and one gentleman, whom I didn't get to speak to, competing with Chinese broadsword.

I took 2nd in kata, 35-44 and
2nd in kumite, 35-44

I did not do a weapons form; but, I'm pulling out the chucks and will compete 3 for 3 next tourney.

This...was fun!

And no one pissed anywhere unnecessarily.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It sounds like you made a great showing, Egg. Congratulations!!

How many ppl just in your division? ... Not that it matters too much. Apparently only 1 person gave you a run for your money.

Review all the tapes of his competition. Train 16-18 hrs per day (this may require quitting your job but you have to have your priorities straight). Run up snow-covered mountains, wrestle oxen, that sort of thing.

Then, next tournament, give the the eye of the tiger and say something to him like, "I will break you." I have faith in you, buddy!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
great showing for your first outing.
Navarre gave some good advice about reviewing the tapes, tapes always show what you did good and where improvement can be made

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks, all :)

'wrestle oxen' I like that!

I was made painfully aware of my errors, although reviewing the tapes will come in handy, too. I know I telegraphed a couple times and I closed the gap ineffectively at least twice in the fights. I'm still not as relaxed as wrestling oxen may make me.

There were 5 in my division. I got a by for the first round; so, I only fought twice. The gentleman that beat me, however, was Grand Champion for the division. It's...ahem...obvious he had to work for it ;) That match was 3-2. Right down to the wire.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre, here's a question. Did you train Seieikan in W VA? I met a Sensei from Parkersburg, Paul Snider and was wondering if you may've known (know) him.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, Egg, I trained in WV. I am originally from Calhoun County. It's near the center of the state. If you ever want to visit there, drive to the edge of the world and hang a left. The population dropped by 50% the day I left.

My sensei is Don Underwood. He used to be a social studies teacher at the high school. I met him there in school but started Seiei Kan under him.

His instructor was Mr. Madden. I first met Mr. Madden in 1984 in Parkersburg. He tested me for the kata portion of my yellow belt test. At that time I was so new to everything I didn't even realize how important he was.

I don't know Paul Snider, sorry. However, I believe Don is living in Vienna or Parkersburg now.

I very much regret that he and I have lost touch over the last 5 or 6 years. It's a complicated chain of events that still doesn't excuse the fact that I'm not in touch with the man who's like a father to me.

There are several Seiei Kan schools in the area and I still have a lot of connections if I needed to dig someone up. Let me know if there's any info or help you need.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for responding oh so quickly, Navarre. Actually, not long after I posted, I did a search on your style and turned up the site for your dojo. Lots of good info!

There is a Seieikan tournament coming up down West Virginia way. I haven't decided on attendance to this next one or not. I may wait until later in the year and see if there's any others.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
I did a search on your style and turned up the site for your dojo. Lots of good info!

You may have come across my old web page by mistake. The new web page, unfortunately, is having some issues that I need to resolve so it may not come up at all. The information is largely the same except the older one is out of date. I really need to get this fixed.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah...I noticed you're belt level wasn't current on the site I visited.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Try entering this address into your browser. Don't click on it because that will just load the parent directory and be confusing:

http://www.geocities.com/navarre_2001/Aze-Ki/

and then manually type any of the following extensions after it. It's the links that's broken.

history.htm
karate.htm
jujitsu.htm
senseis.htm
gallery2.htm

Hopefully that'll come out okay. The whole site is like 2 yrs out of date. Sorry.

I'm the one who put together the page but it's my partner who runs all the schools now (thanks to moving with the wife). He and I aren't in touch as often as I'd like so I haven't kept the site up to date. Makes us look pretty unprofessional.

I'm working on some ways to get this back up and going though. It's largely just for ppl in our area but it's still our internet face to the world.

Let me know what you think of it. Thanks, Egg.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hrm...that's the site I was at earlier. I had to view source in order to see what was in the java dropdowns. I may be able to do a thing or two to help. Gimme a bit of time.

The tourney in WVA that I mentioned is linked here.

Edit: Nope, I take that back. The page I was at was phoenix.htm. Same directory, though.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
phoenix.htm is the first page that loads up when ppl go to aze-ki.com
It is supposed to load the visit counter, link buttons, and our phoenix logo is supposed to rise up onto the screen. The buttons are not loading though.

As for my rank being incorrect, I believe it is correct here. I am second degree in Ko-Sutemi Seiei Kan and 4th degree in Manabi-Masho Ju-Jitsu and Shoo-Jin.

But my original style is Seiei Kan. I just haven't been able to train under anyone since 1997.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Try putting the fphover.class in the next directory up. If I read the code correctly, it's looking for it there. Maybe the fphoverx.class, too. I read:
Code:
[SIZE=2]
codebase="../" 
[/SIZE]

meaning that the codebase is in the next directory up. That could be the problem

Edit: Wait...strike that. I may not be able to see what's happening because that class file is blocked by our fire-flippin-wall. Lemme look at it from home.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
Edit: Wait...strike that. I may not be able to see what's happening because that class file is blocked by our fire-flippin-wall. Lemme look at it from home.

Okay, will do. Thanks, Egg!

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
Okay, will do. Thanks, Egg!

You're welcome :) It's what I do.

Now...let's get this topic back on track!

I get my yellow belt as soon as I pay the Union Dues. I should be green by February, at the latest. I have to say, though, it's been fun to present myself as a white belt. I get to surprise my opponents that way.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
I get my yellow belt as soon as I pay the Union Dues. I should be green by February, at the latest.

What happened to blue belt? Isn't blue still between yellow and green?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions