Knowing the appropriate place of aspects of training.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do similar techniques.
Question does it have to be faster than the opponent as demonstrated.
As in a burst of speed to get the delta V and Force or can it be done at the same rate / speed / velocity of the opponent?

No idea. If you know the shot is coming it is fine. I can drill it all day at 100% RSBDers love that move.

As soon as you add any other technique you are literally guessing and hoping it isn't a jab or something.

And if it is anything else you eat the shot. Because your head stays on that predictable plane.

Darren

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just found this written by someone and found it refreshing, that's all :)

---------------------------

"I'm not sure who needs to hear this...but there are levels and progressions to combat attribute development.

There is a difference between a drill and a demo.
There is a difference between sparring and fighting.

Demos look clean, often choreographed, and meant to display optimal circumstances. This is an unrealistic representation of fights but is a necessary teaching tool particularly for beginners and those whose intentions is to teach the art down the road.

Drills can formulaic, predictable and patterned. This is useful for those crafting mechanics, refreshing known concepts, or simply for movement and exercise. Drills have evolutions and progressions that lead into more challenging stages...but it still isn't fighting.

Sparring is closer to application but depending on what is being sparred --- it is still an inappropriate representation of real life. Sparring can be open format (all weapons free), or compartmentalized (just jabs, for example). It is still not a fight and the objective isn't to win...it is to learn, audit and test capabilities.

Everything you do has a limited value or an expiry date. Even full-blown scenario based training contain artificialities that don't manifest in real life. And guess what tough guy? You're gonna get old and you're gonna nurse injuries. Despite what you might want others to believe, you're not going 100% intensity all the time.

Final note: It is way too easy to identify the shortcomings, deficiencies, and artificialities in training. Too easy. It requires very little brain power actually. It require very little in terms of critical thinking. And it often manifests into trolling and overall negativity.

It is MUCH harder to stop, think, analyze and interpret the potential, but limited, value in martial practice. Much harder. And that's why, in forums, negativity and criticism occurs much more frequently. It's too easy.

Often times, when a criticism emerges in commentary, it isn't for a positive or constructive reason. The primary reason is to propose some kind of authority or superiority...which is pretty lame and played out.

However, when a criticism comes from a good place and is presented with a bit of logic, intelligence and civility...it can do us all some good. So be mindful of when these comments emerge and don't always be defensive and derogatory towards it.

Have a good day."
A technique we learn is how to get out of a headlock, this one guy I trained with outside of class(the guy had some kind of attitude problem thought he was tough) he grabbed me in a headlock once, it was nothing like the way we trained in class we practiced it in class standing still while being caught in a headlock, this guy grabbed me in a headlock and started walking, in doing the technique in class it taught where to strike, while in the headlock and he walking he left one thing open to strike his nuts!! Technique’s just teach where to strike, technique’s never ever are worked on the street like they are in class!!! Very good piece of writing!!! Thank you!!!

Darren

Green Belt
Reaction score
And you can bet your bottom dollar at my stage of BJJ training I would never ever do BJJ on the street like we do it in class, there will be elbow strikes, heel kicks, etc on the street unlike in class!!!!

Latest Discussions