Knocked out by... Hunger?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
So I just had one of the weirdest experiences of my martial arts carreer. We we're working a jab, stepoff spinning elbow/hammerfist and I started to feel a bit dizzy(which isn't really uncommon while working spinny stuff). Kept going and it got a little worse, so I go to the cubby for water.

Next thing I remember there were people standing all around me. I guess my head narrowly missed the weight bench on the way down so that's good. My right arm surely hit something.

I guess I was out like 30 seconds. Never train on an empty stomach guys.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So I just had one of the weirdest experiences of my martial arts carreer. We we're working a jab, stepoff spinning elbow/hammerfist and I started to feel a bit dizzy(which isn't really uncommon while working spinny stuff). Kept going and it got a little worse, so I go to the cubby for water.

Next thing I remember there were people standing all around me. I guess my head narrowly missed the weight bench on the way down so that's good. My right arm surely hit something.

I guess I was out like 30 seconds. Never train on an empty stomach guys.

Glad you're okay!

Safety first. Training second. I should say, training safely second.

Incidentally, don't train on too full of a stomach! We had one kid learn that the hard way. Took a back kick in the stomach from the Master's son...

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yup, thats a lesson to be learned the hard way unfortunately. And if you dont realize whats happening right away, you learn it the really hard way.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yup, thats a lesson to be learned the hard way unfortunately. And if you dont realize whats happening right away, you learn it the really hard way.

Part of the problem with things like this is if your body's condition makes it hard to think, it can affect your judgment that there's a problem.

Same thing with people who are too tired or too drunk to drive, but because their judgement is impaired, think they're okay to drive.

CrazedChris

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yikes, glad you didn't get hurt badly. I started taking a snack cooler for just that reason. Class falls right at supper time, and we don't eat before, because, puking...lol.
We usually pick something up on the way home if I didn't put something in the crockpot beforehand.
I had a close call myself once, I got dizzy and everything started getting all weird. It was right at the end of class, so I tried to push through, ended up sitting down pretty hard. Not fun.
My youngest gets hangry easily, and turns evil. Snacks are a necessity. :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you didn't get hurt significantly, MD. I've never run into that in training, because I'd run into it just sitting around back in my 20's. I think it's a low blood sugar response (which goes well with my normally very low blood pressure). I've never passed out from it, but had a few episodes where getting out of a chair was more than I could easily manage. Had some minor episodes of what I call "slow brain syndrome" when I didn't have enough food before delivering workshops (non-MA). Now I always have at least a food bar and often some carb-rich performance glop in whatever bags I have with me.

Latest Discussions