Knock your opponent's punches down

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When your opponent punched you, instead of blocking or dodging his punch, you punch back. Your punch knock down your opponent's punch like an ant-missile system.

What's your opinion on this strategy/tactics?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When your opponent punched you, instead of blocking or dodging his punch, you punch back. Your punch knock down your opponent's punch like an ant-missile system.

You have to be faster than your opponent.

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You punch his fist? I've done that plenty of times before (not on purpose). I don't recommend it.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You punch his fist? I've done that plenty of times before (not on purpose). I don't recommend it.
I'm not sure he meant that. You can punch the arm, the shoulder, or a balance point on the opponent's body to prevent the punch from landing. However, the first requires speed and accuracy to a high degree. The second two require speed and great power.

Personally, I have no trouble blocking, trapping, or otherwise evading the punch and counterpunching at the same time. Being faster than your opponent is not always a given, and in my case, well, I'm not fast at all, but I know it and don't depend on speed.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Wing chun follows this strategy up to a point. You use counterpunching to deflect the incoming punches or you meet and deflect the incoming punch with a forward pak-sau. The motto is "punching hand is defending hand".

It can work OK against straight punches, but not so much against looping and hooking strikes.

Some FMA stress "gunting" or attacking the attackers incoming strikes and lead arm. It works better with a weapon ...a stick or blade than with the empty hands. I see a lot of gunting videos on YouTube showing people punching (with empty hands) their opponent's inside forearm or biceps. I'm not a big fan.

It's hard enough to hit direct to the head or body. And risky. On the other hand even a small weapon, like a palm stick or "kubotan" can change that equation. You can counterpunch (like a WC guy) and use it to punish their incoming fist and forearm until they flinch and give you an opening to go direct.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It can work OK against straight punches, but not so much against looping and hooking strikes.
When my opponent throw a hook punch at my head, if I throw a 45 degree upward straight punch between his head and his punching arm, I can stop his fist from reaching to my head.

I call it "Chinese zombie arms".

Chang_zombie_guard_1.jpg

Chinese_zombie_1.jpg

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You have to be faster than your opponent.
This requirement may be needed for all MA techniques.

If you use long guard and your opponent uses short boxing guard, since your hands are closer to your opponent's head, if your opponent wants to punch your head, his hands has to travel much longer distance than your hand need.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Gunting.

We do a sneaky right cross off their jab hand. I describe it like skipping a stone over some water.

If you get it right it murders people.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This requirement may be needed for all MA techniques.

If you use long guard and your opponent uses short boxing guard, since your hands are closer to your opponent's head, if your opponent wants to punch your head, his hands has to travel much longer distance than your hand need.
Speed is good if you have it. I am not that fast, but I have my own techniques to compensate.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
like skipping a stone over some water.

If you get it right it murders people.
What I like about this strategy are:

- It blends both defense and offense into 1 action.
- It develops courage.
- It changes defense mode into offense mode.

If in your mind that your opponent's attack is the best time for you to attack him, you will love to see punches coming to your head.

Christopher Adamchek

Purple Belt
Reaction score
the closest i see to this is throwing a hammer fist drop punch. this works nicely cause you can throw wiht the same timeing and end up sword arming or hammer fisting their fore arm and if not you get to put in the drop punch.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wing chun follows this strategy up to a point. You use counterpunching to deflect the incoming punches or you meet and deflect the incoming punch with a forward pak-sau. The motto is "punching hand is defending hand".

Some FMA stress "gunting" or attacking the attackers incoming strikes and lead arm. It works better with a weapon ...a stick or blade than with the empty hands. I see a lot of gunting videos on YouTube showing people punching (with empty hands) their opponent's inside forearm or biceps. I'm not a big fan.

It's hard enough to hit direct to the head or body. And risky. On the other hand even a small weapon, like a palm stick or "kubotan" can change that equation. You can counterpunch (like a WC guy) and use it to punish their incoming fist and forearm until they flinch and give you an opening to go direct.

When my opponent throw a hook punch at my head, if I throw a 45 degree upward straight punch between his head and his punching arm, I can stop his fist from reaching to my head. I call it "Chinese zombie arms".
The typical Wing Chun "Sun Punch" with a vertical fist and elbow-down is not very effective at deflecting looping or hooking punches angling in from the outside gate. To some degree this problem can be solved by angling the elbow outward so that the forearm deflects more effectively. However, it will not work with a tight hook, and do it too much or in the wrong context and you will fail to protect your centerline.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The typical Wing Chun "Sun Punch" with a vertical fist and elbow-down is not very effective at deflecting looping or hooking punches angling in from the outside gate. To some degree this problem can be solved by angling the elbow outward so that the forearm deflects more effectively. However, it will not work with a tight hook, and do it too much or in the wrong context and you will fail to protect your centerline.
Agree! You need Bong Shou type of rolling force. Instead of rolling downward, you roll upward.

It's interested to know that:

Double upward WC Bon Shou = Chinese zombie arms.

jergar

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Are saying punch to bicep or down hammer forearm using timing and distance?

AIKIKENJITSU

Green Belt
Reaction score

Sounds a little like Wing Chun principle. I've earned black belts in Tracy and American Kenpo and taught and still teach for over fifty years. AS for punching the same time he punches, is like two missiles going right at each other. I would doge, block, etc, followed with my attack.
Sifu
Puyallup, WA

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Yes, we use this tactic to varying degrees. The idea is to occupy the space of the incoming punch's trajectory. As no two things can occupy the same space, the punch is blocked or deflected depending on your speed and ability. If you add footwork to the this concept you can achieve a high degree of offence/defence at a very close range. There is a lot more to it than what I stated but essentially it is a great tactic.

jergar

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sounds a little like Wing Chun principle. I've earned black belts in Tracy and American Kenpo and taught and still teach for over fifty years. AS for punching the same time he punches, is like two missiles going right at each other. I would doge, block, etc, followed with my attack.
Sifu
Puyallup, WA
Salute Sifu, sounds to me like a slip the punch and strike move. Or strike the punching arm as it comes in of course you have to be in the right position.

Latest Discussions