knife on the ground

Knarfan

Green Belt
Reaction score
guromkb said:
Agreed ....I carry 2 blades always and most of the FMA stylists I know do as well. The aformentioned incident years ago when I as a student of Judo and Karate..I had obtained blackbelt status in Goju and was training Judo. From that day forward I redirected my training towards the Filipino blade oriented arts and have totally adopted a survivalists mentality as opposed to that of a badass ( which unfortunately some younger men posses...10 ft. tall and bullet proof is a lie folks). When you deal with edged weapons your dealing with eminent death and severe injury..as Tuhon Leo Gaje told me " If your lucky enough to survive a knife attack or fight , you may get better but you will never be well" Profound words me thinks.

If it smells like fish and tastes like fish by god it's fish , use that gut instinct it works.
I like the fact that you ajusted your training after your unfortunate incident. I'm sure that there are alot of people benefiting from your lessons now. You are a true surviver
smileJap.gif

Knarfan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Tgace said:
But you can be improperly trained.
Good point, this happens alot more when it comes to edge weapons. Thats why you should never take somone elses word for it.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
sayoc FF said:
Good point, this happens alot more when it comes to edge weapons. Thats why you should never take somone elses word for it.
Amen to this and tgace's statements.

mleone

White Belt
Reaction score
My Knife ground fighting is unique it goes above and beyond whats out there!
It uses tactical strategies in order to create reactions then capitalize on them. Thus giving and opening to finish the opponent.

Its base foundation is from my training with Hock, but I did some research with my students and we discovered many things and added them into our curriculum. We do the drills full force with out consent or expectation and discovered lots of things.
We found some unarmed strategies for survival and we found ways to finish your opponent.

mleone

White Belt
Reaction score
We do the drills with padded protection and no consentual grabbing of each other. We dont offer to get in a head lock. We dont offer to get in an upper mount position. We work from the clinch and go from there. If it goes to a take down it goes to a take down. It if goes to a headlock it goes to a head lock. The knife of course could be unknown that its there or perhaps its known at the beginning. The more spontaneity in the training the better.

In the begining a breakdown of the scenario and proper equipment.

Knarfan

Green Belt
Reaction score
mleone said:
We do the drills with padded protection and no consentual grabbing of each other. We dont offer to get in a head lock. We dont offer to get in an upper mount position. We work from the clinch and go from there. If it goes to a take down it goes to a take down. It if goes to a headlock it goes to a head lock. The knife of course could be unknown that its there or perhaps its known at the beginning. The more spontaneity in the training the better.

In the begining a breakdown of the scenario and proper equipment.

Good stuff!
One of the things that I like about what you are desribing is that your forcing the person being attacked to identify & react to the threat of the edged weapon under duress, which is forcing them to responed to the threat immediatly, the weapon has to be dealt with when it is being drawn, not after... I think that this fact gets overlooked in alot of training, one thing that always seems to happen to people is that they will ID the weapon or threat & just grab & freeze, instead of following through. Your probably only going to get one chance (if your luckey), it sounds like your addressing the urgency of the situation & teaching some very effective follow through skills.

mleone

White Belt
Reaction score
Your exactly correct in your response.

Some things I focus on.

High Stress is key
Starting from the early stages of the fight is key
Capitalizing on a response is key
Spontaneity is key
Chaos is key

I have create some very spontaneous drills for knife ground fighting.

Jerry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My Knife ground fighting is unique it goes above and beyond whats out there!
It uses tactical strategies in order to create reactions then capitalize on them.
But do you syngeristically capitalize on both your low and high level assets in order to foster a situation where you can best utilize your available reasources in a manner whihc promotes positive change?

Its base foundation is from my training with Hock, but I did some research with my students and we discovered many things and added them into our curriculum.
I want to make sure I follow. You took what was out there (hock) and then added what was out there (reasearch) and in doing so have something "above and beyond" what's out there?!?

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you're interested in knifework on the ground look at Harimau Silat. Harimau (like most Silat) assumes that knives will be there. A lot of the things about it that seem sub-optimal compared to submission wrestling or BJJ are that way because of the presence of weapons.

mleone

White Belt
Reaction score
To answer your question I train Hi and Low stress.
It just expands on Hocks curriculum its not the end of all end. I didnt reinvent the wheel or plant a flag on the moon. I simply created an interesting tire for me and my students.

It goes above beyond Hocks material by means research through my own students not "Whats out there already".
I like to explore and be creative and push forward and try new things, thats my style.
How do you train Jerry? .Id like to hear your something things that you do? What discipline do you train in?
What areas or training methodologies do you use? Do train traditional or progressive or both?

Its always good to explore and learn from others!

Jerry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, hadn't checked the board in some time.

I train in several arts (mostly integrated by people far more skilled than I), Heavily Silat-based (particualrly the knifework), but with strong Chinese and no Russian influences.

I'm not sure how to answer the general "what do I do" question, as it's rather broad. It's not uncommon to introrduce a blade into most any play. Much of our combative decision process is around the assumption of a knife, and they are regularly approximated in drills and sparring.

Training methodologies? Discuss, demonstrate, illustrate on the student, allow the student to perform. Throw in daily sparring work and you've got my workout :).

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like Jerry I haven't checked in.

In a word, look at Harimau or some other groundfighting Silat system. Their groundwork is built around the knife, and they've already figured out a lot of the modifications you have to make in your grappling and groundboxing to deal with it.

Jerry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Jerry said:
I train in several arts (mostly integrated by people far more skilled than I), Heavily Silat-based (particualrly the knifework), but with strong Chinese and no Russian influences.
The word "no" should not have been in there. The paragraph should read:
I train in several arts (mostly integrated by people far more skilled than I), Heavily Silat-based (particualrly the knifework), but with strong Chinese and Russian influences.

Knarfan

Green Belt
Reaction score
tellner said:
Like Jerry I haven't checked in.

In a word, look at Harimau or some other groundfighting Silat system. Their groundwork is built around the knife, and they've already figured out a lot of the modifications you have to make in your grappling and groundboxing to deal with it.

Harimau, very good ground fighting system. I have had limited exsposure to it (I own a couple of private seminar tapes & have been taught it for a few months) . If you have some familularity with grappling & a decent understanding of a blade (especially a karambit) it's is a good choice to build some excellent skills . I wouldn't want to be caught on the ground with a Harimau expert , very nasty stuff with or without a blade .

Latest Discussions