Knife Defense Techniqus

runnerninja

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Excellent class tonight. We went through some knife defense techniques using bare hands and the hanbo.

Spent some time doing sorta light sparring with markers to show that when you get involved in a knife fight your very likely to get cut. Was interesting.

Gteat fun!!!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Spent some time doing sorta light sparring with markers to show that when you get involved in a knife fight your very likely to get cut.

Yes, the most educational thing about studying the knife is learning how very dangerous it is!

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Where is your school located; the last bujinkan school I went to wouldn't let us do anything close to randori/sparring when kata could be worked on.

It really seems like your school is trying to make it (taijutsu) as practical in use as possible. I am really looking for a school like that and the closest one seems to be in Denver or Grand Junction, Colorado.

FierySquidFace

Green Belt
Reaction score
We did knives last night as well. knife vs knife though, not knife vs empty hand. :duel: We use the marker knives too. Very cool stuff.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ive been playing with knives in class too. Looking at "shanking" style "ambush" attacks and other "hidden" stabbings, as opposed to the big, gross attcks you usually see these defenses done against. And even KNOWING they are coming they are hard to defend against. not knowing? Good luck, I say. Knives are just bad news.

Not to say knife defense isn't somthing to work on. I mean, watch videos of knife attacks, you can see these big crazy swings, the ice-pick grip attack, etc... all happen and SHOULD be addresed... but as was said above (or implied, maybe) it has to be "alive" "really trying to stab you" training or it may as well be kata, IMO.

FierySquidFace

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ive been playing with knives in class too. Looking at "shanking" style "ambush" attacks and other "hidden" stabbings, as opposed to the big, gross attcks you usually see these defenses done against. And even KNOWING they are coming they are hard to defend against. not knowing? Good luck, I say. Knives are just bad news.

Not to say knife defense isn't somthing to work on. I mean, watch videos of knife attacks, you can see these big crazy swings, the ice-pick grip attack, etc... all happen and SHOULD be addresed... but as was said above (or implied, maybe) it has to be "alive" "really trying to stab you" training or it may as well be kata, IMO.

agreed. "alive" training is the way to go

ElfTengu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
And if your regular dojo doesn't do marker sparring there's no reason why you can't incorporate it into your training outside the dojo, in fact the randomness of doing this kind of thing with 'non martial' friends is also something of an eye opener. People without a clue are often as dangerous as a seasoned knife fighter because their unpredictability means they often don't know what they are going to do themselves, which means there can be no signals or telegraphing, remember, a small marker pen or even a small knife doesn't need any body motion to do damage.

Latest Discussions