Short knife and break in break out.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last week in class we worked some short knife defense and tonight we worked the break in break out drill from other Fma. Stick practice is interesting but I have to say the sword and knife are more interesting.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally I find sword and knife to be a lot more interesting than stick work. Lots of good training can be done with the sticks, but its not the same as actually having a blade/trainer in your hand.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, for most of my time in the FMA I did stick based arts. It wasn't till about two years ago that I began working in a sword based FMA and the differences are "sharp" The stick stuff is endlessly clever and entertaining, and not impractical, but knife and sword just have that little extra. Do you know what I mean? They are just a little more fun.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yup I know exactly what you mean. Getting back on the mat with some friends tomorrow for the first time in in quite a while. I've really missed it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
If it is the break-in/break-out drill from Pekiti, well it isn't a stick drill....

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll check with my instructor, it could very well be from modern arnis because we did a lot of what we did last night in modern arnis. My instructor is also a student of jerson tortal so I'll check on that front as well.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Could you describe the drill?
Thanks

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depending on the size of the knife, it could be "[get] Cut in, [get] Cut out". Where [] means optional. :)

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, it was a drill I remember from my Modern arnis days and was reaquainted with it at a Datu Hartman seminar when he came into chicago for short stay. Depending on your numbering system it was the 1st four angles as the holding pattern and then one guy would close distance and try to punyo the other guy to the head. Then one or the other clears out and you go back to the 1st four angles and rinse repeat with different attacks and then you break out again. Since it was Modern Arnis and Datu Hartman also stresses balintawak it would be more of a stick drill than a sword drill, especially with the edge to edge contact that you would have if you were using swords.

Here is a Datu Harman video from youtube, if you look at the 3:11 mark you can see part of the drill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbkzwXfiBvg&feature=related

Here is another youtube video, I guess some would call it tapi tapi, although I remember it being called break in break out when we worked it a long time ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWJhg1B8GSQ&feature=related

Last edited:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, it was a drill I remember from my Modern arnis days and was reaquainted with it at a Datu Hartman seminar when he came into chicago for short stay. Depending on your numbering system it was the 1st four angles as the holding pattern and then one guy would close distance and try to punyo the other guy to the head. Then one or the other clears out and you go back to the 1st four angles and rinse repeat with different attacks and then you break out again. Since it was Modern Arnis and Datu Hartman also stresses balintawak it would be more of a stick drill than a sword drill, especially with the edge to edge contact that you would have if you were using swords.

Here is a Datu Harman video from youtube, if you look at the 3:11 mark you can see part of the drill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbkzwXfiBvg&feature=related

Here is another youtube video, I guess some would call it tapi tapi, although I remember it being called break in break out when we worked it a long time ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWJhg1B8GSQ&feature=related

Bill, Yes I know that drill as Semi Sparring as it was called in the late 70's and 80's. It was also called Break in and break out in the 80 & 90's as you would break in from the single sinawali pattern and break out from the butting or passing of the drill.

Now that I know what it is, I will go look at the original post.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know some arts have a standard vocabulary, western olympic fencing or kendo for example, but I like the fact that the FMA have less standardization in their vocabulary and the names of drills. I think it makes the art more...natural. Communication can be a little more difficult between arts, but that's not always a bad thing.

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, break in and break out with a small knife is asking to be cut. I personally dislike seeing Hi/Lo with a Daga.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually, it wasn't break in break out with a short knife. The short knife was one week and the next week was the break in break out drill.

Latest Discussions