KKW revoking certification

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I heard from the Kukkiwon that the Instructor Qualification certificate is only mandatory for Kukkiwon instructors living in Korea. It is not required for overseas instructors.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I heard from the Kukkiwon that the Instructor Qualification certificate is only mandatory for Kukkiwon instructors living in Korea. It is not required for overseas instructors.

I thought that has always been the case in Korea. To teach or run a school in korea, you had to have it.

So were the ones saying that just not aware of how things are different outside of Korea? I could understand that.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
So were the ones saying that just not aware of how things are different outside of Korea? I could understand that.

I don't know the answer to that. I do know that the issue was being discussed at the Kukkiwon leaders. They cannot just implement something like that. There has to be lead time and notice given so instructors can come into compliance.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
..... They cannot just implement something like that. There has to be lead time and notice given so instructors can come into compliance.

I agree and I dont think it would be something they could force in the US. There is no MNA owning 70%, and too much drama between to many groups for any real unification.

the tree has grown, kindof too late to try and wire, clip and prune it now!!!! That would kill it, and "it" is too large an income base to kill.

dowan50

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This kind of goes against what they were saying last year if they do.

At the last few KKW seminars within the last few years, It was the Kukkiwon recognized the Gap in retiring GM's and no one left to fill their positions and promote within the U.S.

If they want to expand KKW certification in the U.S, this will not be the way to do it... well unless you are looking to switch over to the MNA running greater than 70% and having the U.S. submit through only 1 focal point like other CAT 1 nations have too. (logistically for Korea, this makes more sense... can't imagine thier postal bill the week after the 5th and 20th... with so many diffent addresses!!!!)

OR

It's just a way to try and "increase" course participation. Word will spread and "everyone will seek out the course ASAP. But that would be dumb because eventually you will dry up those assets prematurely. Everyone who takes the course will not be ready to re-take it again (for cert upgrade) within 6 years or so, (given they were a 6th dan when the took it)

The license is only good for Two Years so you will have to take it every two years at least at master level 5th Dan

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
The license is only good for Two Years so you will have to take it every two years at least at master level 5th Dan

Really? I've never taken the course but have seen quite a few of the certificates over the years and none of them have an expiry date on them. Here's one (admittedly signed by LEE Seung Wan not KANG Won Sik) which doesn't show an expiry date and was only issued in May last year.

Surely it's no good only telling this to people who attend the course as non-International Instructors are supposed to be able to use the certificates to judge currentness of skills - and if it's not on the certificates then it makes them kind of useless...

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Surely it's no good only telling this to people who attend the course as non-International Instructors are supposed to be able to use the certificates to judge currentness of skills - and if it's not on the certificates then it makes them kind of useless...

As an example, I am a BTC Registered Instructor (which means nothing to do with Taekwondo instruction but is all about covering your *** from an instruction legal point of view) and it clearly says that the certificate is valid from 07/03/2010 to 05/03/2012.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

WRONG. The KKW license doesnt expire. The license the USTC gave with the course was only good 2 years. If MAC gave a cert, that too may only be good for 2 years, but the KKW has no expiration.

USTC made it 2 years to "make sure the background checks are current"...

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Really? I've never taken the course but have seen quite a few of the certificates over the years and none of them have an expiry date on them. Here's one (admittedly signed by LEE Seung Wan not KANG Won Sik) which doesn't show an expiry date and was only issued in May last year.

It was a U.S. thing that the USTC did for "THEIR" certificates. Not KKW. KKW only requires you to take the course when you have gained rank and want the next level. goes 3, 2, then 1.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
It was a U.S. thing that the USTC did for "THEIR" certificates. Not KKW. KKW only requires you to take the course when you have gained rank and want the next level. goes 3, 2, then 1.

That was my understanding too. Thanks for confirming. Why did the USTC change it - I thought they were trying to be a US Kukkiwon branch so I'd have thought they'd have gone completely Kukkiwon standard.

I understand the background checks (over here my BTC Registered Instructor card literally just means that I am "Enhanced Criminal Records Bureau" checked for two years), but surely that could be a different card/certificate that could be renewed separately from the KKW Certified Instructor/Master?

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
USTC didnt change it. They made it that way for thier Certs/License. When we took/take the KKW course from the USTC, you get 2 certificates. 1 from KKW and 1 from USTC. The USTC one was the one they placed a 2 year limit on. Not sure how USAT/MAC will do it. But USTC did it for the main reason of being able to ensure those they were certifying had a clean background and were not convicted felons or worse, child molesters. It also ensures that those willing to do so, will remain current with some formal training provided by KKW at least every 2 years. Also to add, the American Red Cross CPR courses/cert are usually good for 2 years (although some do only 1 year), so this also helps keep instructors current on that as well. All good/reasonable ideas.

I thought it was reasonable and I am ok with it. But it doesn't change the fact that the KKW license does not expire.

Latest Discussions