Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
TigerWoman said:
Oh, and since I am Queen, nobody calls me Ma'am. How I hate that!~ TW

Yes sir! :D

As for my reign:

Task number one: behead the previous monarch, so as to make it a proper coup de'etat.

No more junior black belts, and no black belts under age 16.

Any TKD school that requires students to sign a contract must offer contracts for periods of 3 months or less. Any non-competition clauses in these contracts must have a range limited to 5 miles, or less.

Any instructor found to be guilty of running a McDojang will be fed to a pack of velociraptors. If velociraptors are unavailable at the time (cloners like to work on their own schedule), a suitably vicious pack of rabid dingos may be substituted.

All WTF and ATA black belts are required to learn the first Chul-gi/Naihanchi form. (Just that one. It has too much useful stuff for it to be left completely out of the curriculum.)

The ATA's camoflauge belt is hereby banned. They'll just have to think up a less ridiculous belt color.

Both the WTF and ITF are hereby required to institute an additional set of rules for continuous sparring that allows for a variety of attacks to the head, sweeps, and take downs.

The WTA will institute a set of rules for full-contact sparring, making it an official part of the curriculum for advanced belts.

Most importantly, I'd permantly ban the phrase "You're not doing REAL TKD." Or any derivation thereof as directed at my chosen practice methods.

Ditto.

Additionally, I delcare that all TKD organizations, regardless of lineage or style must establish diplomatic relations with one another, and recognize the legitimacy of different styles of Tae Kwon Do. (However, this does not mean that ranks are automatically recognized between organzations. Students still must prove they are worthy of a particular rank if they switch styles, subject to the judgement of their instructor and the rules of the organization.)

Furthermore, we will forge an alliance with Tang Soo Do, Hapkido, and other forms of Korean martial arts. (But not Yudo or Kumdo.) Then we shall declare war upon Kenpo, and make them all regret saying things like "Kenpo has more techniques than Tae Kwon Do."

So I command, and so it shall be!

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Marginal said:
Eliminate the fractional black belt. Provisional, almost, decided, really decided? Can't stand those ranks. Are you a BB or not? Either the BB's ready to test or not. Pass/fail.

NOOOO. I like the Provisional black belt LOL. Maybe because I'm so close to testing for it (Nov), I wanna keep it :D And maybe it's because I'm not ready (or think) for the real thing LOL. But the junior BB stuff can go. I wouldn't test no one for BB under the age of 15.

Marginal said:
No contracts. No black belt clubs. No promises that devalue the rank. (Hey. I'm the king. I don't have to take the plight of the "full time instructor" or the Stephen Ollivers of the world into account.)

I totally agree here :asian:

Zepp said:
Any instructor found to be guilty of running a McDojang will be fed to a pack of velociraptors. If velociraptors are unavailable at the time (cloners like to work on their own schedule), a suitably vicious pack of rabid dingos may be substituted.

I love this idea. You would need a lot of dingos though LOL.

Zepp said:
All WTF and ATA black belts are required to learn the first Chul-gi/Naihanchi form. (Just that one. It has too much useful stuff for it to be left completely out of the curriculum.)

And Bassai. My instructor used to teach bassai, but took it out :whip: I never got to those forms in TSD, but I loved to watch them .... hummmm. Maybe I'll learn them anyways :)

Zepp said:
Both the WTF and ITF are hereby required to institute an additional set of rules for continuous sparring that allows for a variety of attacks to the head, sweeps, and take downs.

The WTA will institute a set of rules for full-contact sparring, making it an official part of the curriculum for advanced belts.

Yes! I would too.

Zepp said:
Furthermore, we will forge an alliance with Tang Soo Do, Hapkido, and other forms of Korean martial arts. (But not Yudo or Kumdo.) Then we shall declare war upon Kenpo, and make them all regret saying things like "Kenpo has more techniques than Tae Kwon Do."

I don't know about declaring war on Kenpo, but I like the idea of bringing the arts together.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Out of curosity, what is it, what is is that we are leaving out that is not taught to us in our forms, and do you have a link to a video or pictures of the form?

The ATA's camoflauge belt is hereby banned. They'll just have to think up a less ridiculous belt color.
There was an attempt to get rid of the belt. Our late Grand Master introduced the new belt color along with some new ones and our seniors hated the camo belt. The G.M. told them if they had a better idea that fit with the philosophy and nobody came up with an answer. I would agree that the camo belt should be changed, but it really does tie into our philosophy. Don't knock it before you understand it. :)

Really, if I was king of Taekwondo, my rule would be simple.

-Follow the spirit of Taekwondo and don't take advantage of another person.

-Be honest about who you are, what it is that you teach and offer, and what the training can honestly do for a person.

-AND MOST IMPORTANTLY: Your king commands that every single TKD master, grand master, instructor, and student must truly live be the tenats of TKD and obey this rule; Be excellent to one another. I don't care what you teach your students, how your spar, what your linage is, etc. As long as my 3 simple rules are followed all would be well. All nobody would knock the camo belt! (It's ok little guys! Continue to grow like the baby pine tree in a forest of big pine trees and fight your way upward in the world of TKD as you now begin to spar for the first time!)

J

JanneM

Adept said:
To be honest, I think being different simply for the sake of being different is self destructive for the art. Effectiveness, not uniqueness, should be our primary goal.
In sport (and now I am talking about only the sport part of the art) being different then the next sport is really important.
That is why Kukkiwon, KTA and WTF have diceded in early days that taekwondo should be done with full contact, no fist to the head, hitting areas are protected not the hands and feet.
I think and I hope that these principles will be the main thing when thinking about TKD rules in the future also.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
King?

I'd want to meet the royalty of Monaco, of course. And that of Denmark. We kings like to party together, you know.

Steve
Go with the Swedish royalty instead, two Princesses instead of two Princes...
The youngest from Sweden, Princess Madeline ...:inlove: :ladysman:

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
JanneM said:
In sport (and now I am talking about only the sport part of the art) being different then the next sport is really important.
That is why Kukkiwon, KTA and WTF have diceded in early days that taekwondo should be done with full contact, no fist to the head, hitting areas are protected not the hands and feet.
I think and I hope that these principles will be the main thing when thinking about TKD rules in the future also.

I'm not so sure. I already covered why with my third kingly proclamation.

J

JanneM

SIMONCURRAN said:
Go with the Swedish royalty instead, two Princesses instead of two Princes...
The youngest from Sweden, Princess Madeline ...:inlove: :ladysman:
Hold it there SIMONCURRAN...
Because you in Denmark don't have landline with Sweden Madde is reserved for me... ;-}

A

Andy Cap

TigerWoman said:
Queen of TKD....hmmmm. I wouldn't allow a black belt test before the age of 16 and that is conditional/recommended with staying in until 18 and then becoming 1st dan. There are too many teens in high school quitting including my son included. sigh! Cars, jobs, girlfriends, paintball, basketball, computer games,etc. The list that competes with it is endless.

I wouldn't allow testing unless x amount of classes are completed and only a half-hour workout and leaving counts as that-half.

Judging black belt test should be before a panel, not one with favoritism and partialty to family.

There should be a black belt class specific to their needs not to the needs of the lowest say, orange belt.

There should be a judging criteria sheet which all judges at tournaments have to abide by and record their judging. No favoritism or trump card!

I would have a personal goal sheet for each student so that by the time they are tested they have completed a progressive scale. Not just give 50 pushups-chin to the floor at the time of testing when allowing half pushups up until then.

I would require everyone to sing the words to the national anthem at a tournament not just play the music. Give out the words on sheets. We as a nation have forgotten it! How awful!

I would require students to do extra stretching and specific work on off class days. Too many students only go one or two days a week and want to test every two months expecting great things to happen.

Oh, and since I am Queen, nobody calls me Ma'am. How I hate that!~ TW
I'd vote for you! Great points.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
One more kingly rule for my list...

Patterns are to be judged on technical accuracy rather than useless flash, which should be marked down and not rewarded.

M

MikeMartial

Interesting thread idea!

1) I would abolish TKD as an Olympic sport.

2) There would be no ITF or WTF. TKD would have to be under one name/organization, and one only. But Mike's Tae Kwon Do Federation, or MTKDF, is just silly.

3) All sparring would be full contact, in schools and tournaments. No more foot tag. There would have to be rules based on age, though. For the children.

Basically, I'd change TKD by taking out the sport and politics. Ahh, to live in a perfect world.....

Latest Discussions