Kind of Scary II

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is another little habit we need to insure that our parents Grandparents, etc..etc.. are aware of..Double check to insure that their phones are properly seated in the cradle, this mostly applies to cordless phones...Responded to a residence because a daughter was unable to make contact with her Mom for 8 hrs, she's in Mich and Mom's in Ohio..We looked through the windows and rang the doorbell and knocked and nothing..
No matter WHAT you see on TV we just cannot bust down a door to gain access..The daughter told our dispatch center that Mom's bedroom is in the back of the house..She had one of those houses where the windows are up high, so carefully I used my baton to tap on the window, finally we heard a voice..She opened the garage and we told her the reason for our being there...Sure enough the cordless phone in her family room was not seated properly so it wasn't charging and it didn't totally disconnect from her last call...

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
once again another great post. thanks for the advice my parents do that all the time. or they leave the phone on and can't recive any calls

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My grandfather does this all the time.....one of the reasons I live upstairs from him and have a key..and call waiting on my phone.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is another little habit we need to insure that our parents Grandparents, etc..etc.. are aware of..Double check to insure that their phones are properly seated in the cradle, this mostly applies to cordless phones...Responded to a residence because a daughter was unable to make contact with her Mom for 8 hrs, she's in Mich and Mom's in Ohio..We looked through the windows and rang the doorbell and knocked and nothing..
No matter WHAT you see on TV we just cannot bust down a door to gain access..The daughter told our dispatch center that Mom's bedroom is in the back of the house..She had one of those houses where the windows are up high, so carefully I used my baton to tap on the window, finally we heard a voice..She opened the garage and we told her the reason for our being there...Sure enough the cordless phone in her family room was not seated properly so it wasn't charging and it didn't totally disconnect from her last call...

Hey Drac,

Good information and it is something I check with my parents even though they only be in their mid 60's. Just a habit to make sure all is good. I also have a key and stop by to check.

I had to make a call once as I got a call from this guy on my answering machine. he was calling his daughter and he was upset because he could not remember if he took the right meds and he needed someone to count the pills for him from the dates to let him know. So, I started calling variations of my number got lucky after a couple and got a woman, who was not surprised their had been a miss call or about the meds. She thanked me. I told her no big deal, just making sure someone can check. I then told her maybe she should get him a new phone with easy to read large numbers and speed dial for her. She laughed and said they were looking but her Dad was not sure about the change.

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses everyone..

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As always Drac that is very good information!
icon14.gif

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's always good to be forewarned of things that otherwise you might never think of :tup:.

As a bit of extra information that may be useful, our cordless phones have contact sensors in the sockets and if they are not seated properly they start to 'chirp' at you in a scolding fashion :D. Likewise, if you haven't pressed the 'hangup' key and put them back on the cradle they do the same thing. It's annoying until you think of the potential consequences ...

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks Drac, my parents used to do that, until I got them a phone that hangs on the wall and if the receiver isn't seated properly it just falls off. They whined and moaned about it until I pointed out that they always get the thing back on properly now and we can always get hold of them.

Suk, yep my home phone does that, it's shrill huh? :lol:

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's always good to be forewarned of things that otherwise you might never think of :tup:.

As a bit of extra information that may be useful, our cordless phones have contact sensors in the sockets and if they are not seated properly they start to 'chirp' at you in a scolding fashion :D. Likewise, if you haven't pressed the 'hangup' key and put them back on the cradle they do the same thing. It's annoying until you think of the potential consequences ...

I wonder if they have those over here, probably not...Don't know if that would help..This nice lady could not hear us knocking or ringing the doorbell..

Last edited:

Latest Discussions