Kimbo vs. K. Shamrock in October

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm not a Kimbo fan and certainly never thought he was anything close to the hype, but I'm not quite ready to write him off. Anyone can get caught. Let him fight one more legit opponent not some has-been, and if he loses that I'll write him off completely.

Kimbo lost to Gannon
Kimbo lost his last fight when he was pounded and the ref did not stop it. Then Kimbo hits the other guy twice and the ref stopped it. FIXED, he lost.
Kimbo lost this fight to a scared karate guy who nipped his chin. The damage was done when he fell on his face, then was hit and couldn't recover.
I don't think Kimbo could last with anyone of good caliber.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was about to say the something, he was cut while warming up his takedowns ( a normal thing to do ) , not sparring.
Also I generally believe it was an accident, just take a look at Shamrocks face, he has so much scar Tissue he is now very easy to cut.
Ken Shamrock is a lot of things but I don’t think he would try to get out of a fight that way…..not to mention aswel that it wasn’t the fact that he said he didn’t want to fight, but more the fact he WASN’T ALLOWED to fight by the athletic commission.

In a way im quite happy Kimbo has been put down, I was getting tired of hearing the newer MMA fans who had seen Kimbo's streetfights talk about how great kimbo is,fighters like Kimbo put the sport back 5-7 years especially where technique is concerned…… but then looking at the bigger picture this could be a crippling blow to EliteXC, Kimbo was a big crowd drawer for them now he has been shown to not be invincible im not sure they will be able to get the PPV sell they were getting.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was about to say the something, he was cut while warming up his takedowns ( a normal thing to do ) , not sparring.

Perhaps someone should have told Frank Shamrock that, considering he even questioned what he was doing warming up that hard. Sparring, warming up, we can call it a bunch of different things, but the fact remains, there are other, probably more safer ways, to warm up. Could be pull a muscle or turn wrong and pull something whlie shadowboxing? Hey, anythings possible, but IMO, the risk factor is a heck of alot less than doing what he was doing.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
[/font][/size]

Perhaps someone should have told Frank Shamrock that, considering he even questioned what he was doing warming up that hard. Sparring, warming up, we can call it a bunch of different things, but the fact remains, there are other, probably more safer ways, to warm up. Could be pull a muscle or turn wrong and pull something whlie shadowboxing? Hey, anythings possible, but IMO, the risk factor is a heck of alot less than doing what he was doing.

I think someone needs to tell Frank Shamrock a lot of things, you may not be aware of the history between the two but Frank has never once said anything good about his brother.
Even when he wins.

I understand what your trying to say but your reading too much into this, Ken was proberly pummeling or light sprawling this is essentional when warming up to grapple, everyone from Matt Hughs to Fedor to Gomi use this technique to warm up, I hear he got caught with a headbutt it doesn’t take much for a headbutt to cut espcially over scared tissue.

For the record….I really don’t understand how Ken is getting blamed for this?For the weeks and even last few minutes leading up to the fight you put yourself in your training teams hands, ken no doubt was told to warm up in this fashion, ken didn’t do nothing wrong, if anything it should be his training partner that should be getting some stick for not being careful with his head.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well fortunately Ken could not fight so that Kimbo was exposed for where his skill level really is.
icon6.gif

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought shamrock was cut doing a shoot and sprawl drill. He was warming up his shot and clashed heads with his partner.

Kimbo getting crushed by a lightheavyweight TUF loser with pink hair pretty much kills his credibility, and will hopefully shut up the newcomers who think he was the greatest heavyweight out there.
Doesn't matter if it was light sparring, a shoot drill, or just stupid chest bumping. Hours before a fight is not the time to be doing anything that could injure you. You're not going to improve your skills in time for the fight. While I've not trained someone for MMA -- when I warm a fighter up, it's light movement, it's shadow boxing, and some simple drills with focus mitts to help 'em open up their eyes. They're not banging on the gloves, I'm not pounding on them. It's all about getting loose and ready... and NOT getting hurt!

Reactions: MJS

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter if it was light sparring, a shoot drill, or just stupid chest bumping. Hours before a fight is not the time to be doing anything that could injure you. You're not going to improve your skills in time for the fight. While I've not trained someone for MMA -- when I warm a fighter up, it's light movement, it's shadow boxing, and some simple drills with focus mitts to help 'em open up their eyes. They're not banging on the gloves, I'm not pounding on them. It's all about getting loose and ready... and NOT getting hurt!

I think someone needs to tell Frank Shamrock a lot of things, you may not be aware of the history between the two but Frank has never once said anything good about his brother.
Even when he wins.

I understand what your trying to say but your reading too much into this, Ken was proberly pummeling or light sprawling this is essentional when warming up to grapple, everyone from Matt Hughs to Fedor to Gomi use this technique to warm up, I hear he got caught with a headbutt it doesn’t take much for a headbutt to cut espcially over scared tissue.

For the record….I really don’t understand how Ken is getting blamed for this?For the weeks and even last few minutes leading up to the fight you put yourself in your training teams hands, ken no doubt was told to warm up in this fashion, ken didn’t do nothing wrong, if anything it should be his training partner that should be getting some stick for not being careful with his head.

I put a post by JKS prior to this one, because not only do I agree with it, but this is just one more example of the point I was trying to make. Whether or not Frank and Ken have bad blood between them is irrelevant to the thread at hand. I'm sorry, but as it was said, a few min. before a fight is not the time to figure out and reherse your moves. If someone didn't do a particular thing during a training session prior to the fight, shame on them.

And while I may not put total blame on Ken for this, I do put part of it. I mean really, he's not a newbie to fighting. Did he used to do this type of 'warmup' before other fights? Dont know. Maybe this was a run of bad luck and the 100 other times he did this, nothing happened, but this one time...bam, he gets injured.

I still stand by what I said....there are other ways to warm up. Hell, even before rank tests that I've taken, I've never done anything that would put my performance on the test, at risk. I'd take it easy a few days before, and the day of, I'd warmup with some light cardio, ie: jumping jacks, running in place, jump rope, run thru some kata slowly, etc. I didn't jump into the ring and spar for 20 min.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Its not about improving you skills, it would be going through the preprepared stragedy that you have been training the past 3 months for, we're talking about Kimbo a striker with extrmely heavy hands, IMO the plan would be to grapple and take him down, so just like you would hit pads to warm up, you would lightly ''chest bump'' to warm up your grappling.

The point that keeps being missed here is that it was an accident.

I really think people need to get off the guys back for once.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It was an accident. Maybe. I can't help but think it was a convenient accident. At the least -- it was preventable. Especially if it simply re-opened an old cut. Why not use some protection, at least the day of the fight?

Sorry -- it's too convenient not to be suspicious. Suspicion does not equal guilt. But I'd say Ken Shamrock does owe the world some explanation.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been watching the stock market too much, but it's the only analogy I have at the moment.

How does his effect the "stock" of Slice & Petruzelli?

Lower Kimbo's to non-existence or worthless? Does he still have an MMA future? Raise Petruzelli's a lot? A little?

What do you guys think?

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think petruzelli will get 1 to 2 fights of fame, and kimbo will lose no fame. he is still a HUGE draw. he never said he was the best, he just said he loved fighting.

Skpotamus

Brown Belt
Reaction score
During just about any warmup involving grappling, you can butt heads with someone, especially in the typically cramped dressing rooms available for fighters (most venues have VERY little room for actual fighters to warm up in and they are typically waxed concrete floors which are VERY slick). An older fighter like Shamrock who's head is mostly scar tissue can cut easily, especially on a glancing headbutt on an old cut.

I don't think shamrock was doing anything wrong or out of the ordinary. He was doing some light warmup and caught a light headbutt that caught him just right.

The big thing to come from this is Kimbo was exposed as not being this invincible juggernaut that he was marketed as. We'll see what he does in his next few fights, but I think it's pretty clear that if he fights even halfway decent competition (in his weight class) he'll get killed.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm glad Kimbo lost... and lost BIG. I mean, if he's a primary striker, then he should be well aware of his own pain threshold with punches and use a proper guard, instead of growling at his opponent. Hopefully he learns something out of this. This is not street fighting.

It's really sad to see that he showed no common sense when he got on his knees, and exposed his back. Even a dazed fighter is going to pull guard, even one not specializing in the ground game.

I hope he gets some training/ conditioning with a ground coach. Watching him lose online made me happy over the fact that I didn't watch him lose live.

The gamers say "Lern2Read." Kimbo needs to "Lern2DoSomethingElseOtherThanHitPeopleHardOnYoutube."

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was thrilled when Kimbo went down. He's rude, a moron and can't string a sentence together. Brock Lesner at least shows promise, Kimbo was always a hack and never deserved the profile he got. I hope he crawls under the rock from where he came.

Cheers
Sam:asian:

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In the not-so-big-time MMA fights I went to earlier this year there was a lot of pressure from the crowd to stand the fighters up so they can trade punches rather than work for position and then submission. I wouldn't be surprised if EliteXC also feels the pressure to have more exciting fights to help build a fan base. Building that fan base means bringing new fans to MMA. Those potential new fans may not be so appreciative of the finer aspects and science of MMA, but instead prefer the stand up toe-to-toe exchanges a la the very very popular Griffin-Bonnar fight.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
a bonus payout for KO is nothing like a fix.

Now if they were paying a bonus to GET ko'd... that would be a fix.

On the other hand, ANY time I see Cecil Peoples is a judge, I expect something fishy. if you are a pro fighter, and the "underdog", and Peoples is a judge, you damn well better get the KO...

My hunch is that if you check the scorecards, Peoples had Kimbo winning the first round.

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
a bonus payout for KO is nothing like a fix.

Now if they were paying a bonus to GET ko'd... that would be a fix.

Seth stated in a radio interview....

“The promoters kind of hinted to me, and they gave me the money to stand and trade with him,” he told “The Monsters in Orlando” radio show. “They didn’t want me to take him down, let’s just put it that way. It was worth my while to try to stand up and punch with him.”

That would make it a fix, not a "bonus payout for a KO"

Latest Discussions