Kimbo vs. K. Shamrock in October

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This October in CBS, Kimbo Slice will take on Ken Shamrock.
Shamrock has lost his last 5 fights with the most recent being a KO loss.

Shamrock needs to give it up and fast.
Elite is smart by making this fight. People know of Shamrock and think he is still great and the old Shamrock but those of us who watch MMA all the time know that is far from the case. They are trying to get Kimbo some credability but instead of putting him in against some quality opponents they put him in against washed up fighters.

http://sports.ign.com/articles/902/902571p1.html

The Anarchist

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ken's "status" was secured, but he lets his pride get the best of him. I think he has more than people realize even still, it's the pride, the prejudice, and everything else that will lead to a nasty downfall.

I think he shouldn't have taken this because if he does lose, then what will people think of him?

This is not good, not good at all.

Skpotamus

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ken's biggest problem with his coemback is that he's tried to stand and strike with everyone. His striking is pretty bad, especially compared to his grappling and submission skills.

If he takes kimbo down, he'll submit him, if he tries to stand and trade, he'll probably get KO'ed.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ken's "status" was secured, but he lets his pride get the best of him. I think he has more than people realize even still, it's the pride, the prejudice, and everything else that will lead to a nasty downfall.

I think he shouldn't have taken this because if he does lose, then what will people think of him?

This is not good, not good at all.

Not to derail the thread but what prejudice do you speak of?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This is just pathetic. Kimbo is a can, and Ken Shamrock is getting sad. It's like Joe Montana playing for the Chiefs, Kenny Stabler playing for the Saints or Favre playing for the Jets. Sometimes, once great athletes just can't let the sport go.

The Anarchist

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Not to derail the thread but what prejudice do you speak of?

Attitude that offends his ego. The kind that tito has.

Kimbo seems pretty nice, but mouthing off seems wise tactically, especially with Ken Shamrock. He gets tunnel vision!

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
I feel bad for Shamrock, since this will most likely go very very badly for him.

Ditto.

Kimbo is their cash cow at the moment and they can't afford to have him owned on national TV, that's why they won't put him up against any "current" fighters worth a damn.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like CC said, Kimbo is their cash cow, they are riding it for all it's worth. They brought in Josh Thompson last time, who was KNOWN to have a questionable chin and even then Kimbo couldn't finish him off convincingly and many people thought the fight was fixed. They should have realized after watching the underground fight footage of Kimbo (Kimbo vs. Gannon)that he doesn't have the skill to beat an opponent who knows groundwork.

How much weight will Ken have to gain to get in the same weight class? The last few fights it always seemed like Ken alot smaller than he was and didn't cut weight properly so he even seemed smaller than his opponents. Kimbo is alot bigger than Ken in weight class.

If they want to bring in Ken Shamrock, I think they should either have Ken vs. Frank (fight has been discussed already) or Shamrock vs. Royce Gracie in a rematch. Either of those would get more of a draw than Kimbo.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How much weight will Ken have to gain to get in the same weight class? The last few fights it always seemed like Ken alot smaller than he was and didn't cut weight properly so he even seemed smaller than his opponents. Kimbo is alot bigger than Ken in weight class.

I don't think he has to gain anything to make Heavy, he just doesn't have to cut like he did to make 205.

But you are right, there will definitely be a size difference there.

If they want to bring in Ken Shamrock, I think they should either have Ken vs. Frank (fight has been discussed already) or Shamrock vs. Royce Gracie in a rematch. Either of those would get more of a draw than Kimbo.

Unfortunately I think you are wrong. Kimbo seems to be a bigger draw then them now.

I really hope Ken whops him good, I really do. But Ken seems to be more of a fall guy lately, who has had some questionable stoppages against him, but hasn't seemed quite up to snuff since he retired the first time.

So my vote, Kimbo KO's him, or wins by broken ear or some other nonsense.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well I for one have no interest in seeing this fight. Clearly Kimbo will win and Shamrock will lose. Not because of skill but because of age and an inability to let go.
icon6.gif

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
WTF happened to Kimbo vs. Brett ROGERS?! Rogers deserves that fight, and it's starting to sound like a 'DUCK' thing by continuing the 'Kimbo versus tired old has-beens' routine!

Who the hell is RUNNING Elite XC......DON KING?!

'QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUAAAAAAACKKKKK!!!!'

KIMBO SLICE.....the MOST PROTECTED FIGHTER in MMA!!!!!

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This October in CBS, Kimbo Slice will take on Ken Shamrock.
Shamrock has lost his last 5 fights with the most recent being a KO loss.

Shamrock needs to give it up and fast.
Elite is smart by making this fight. People know of Shamrock and think he is still great and the old Shamrock but those of us who watch MMA all the time know that is far from the case. They are trying to get Kimbo some credability but instead of putting him in against some quality opponents they put him in against washed up fighters.

http://sports.ign.com/articles/902/902571p1.html

As much as i don't care for ken, i hope he submits kimbo the can.

Dude, quit fighting old ufc guys and fight a contender already! Brock did!

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
As much as i don't care for ken, i hope he submits kimbo the can.

Dude, quit fighting old ufc guys and fight a contender already! Brock did!
I thought Kimbo Vs. Rogers was a done deal! Rogers has done MORE in XC recently that Kimbo has......if ANYTHING it's Kimbo needing to get past ROGERS......how that clown can be Elite XC's star heavyweight is BEYOND me.....ROGERS is the one with the record to stand on!

ROGERS is the top heavyweight in Elite XC........if Kimbo wasn't a chump he should be BEGGING for a shot at Rogers, not DUCKING IT!

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It's just marketing guys, don't take it personally.

EXC can't have their boy beaten just yet!!

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's just marketing guys, don't take it personally.

EXC can't have their boy beaten just yet!!

I so agree. Elite has a big name for the casual MMA fan so they can't have him lose now. All the good fighters are in Affliction and UFC. Elite is working on fumes so they have to keep what they have.

Ashame the promotion without the big name fighters is on National TV. The 2 other promotions which can really produce great fight cards are on PPV.

A great fight night on free tv would be the best for MMA.
In my dreams I turn on NBC and see a UFC/Affliction card

BJ Penn vs. GSP
Fedor vs. Randy Couture
Anderson Silva vs. Chuck Liddell
etc.
etc.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Liek was said earlier, this is now officially a big business so they are gonig to go with what gets the ratings. When Kimbo starts losing fights and gets beat down by some real fighters , he will dissappear from the cards pretty quick. Like any other sport , once private investors get involved, its all downhill. It is just ot make $$$$ now. Fights are stacked, hell don't be suprised if in a few years , or sooner, some disgruntled ex-fighter starts spouting off, fights are fixed crap. It all just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Attitude that offends his ego. The kind that tito has.

Kimbo seems pretty nice, but mouthing off seems wise tactically, especially with Ken Shamrock. He gets tunnel vision!

I am confused. How is it prejudice when it is an issue of his own ego?