Kimbo vs. K. Shamrock in October

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Like any other sport , once private investors get involved, its all downhill. It is just ot make $$$$ now.

Private investment is the only thing that has ever driven MMA in the US. It always has been about the money. Even in the first UFCs it was less about finding which style was the best than it was an advertising campaign for BJJ.

Lamont

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
Brock Lesner is a potential champion, Kimbo is a thug. I wouldn't pay to see him(kimbo) fight anyone. I'd say Brock asked to be thrown in the deep end so his learning curve could be as steep as possible; this way when he fights for the title he won't get smashed. Kimbo vs Ken is just garbage and is the sort of fight that just makes a mockery out of mma.

Cheers
Sam:asian:

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Private investment is the only thing that has ever driven MMA in the US. It always has been about the money. Even in the first UFCs it was less about finding which style was the best than it was an advertising campaign for BJJ.

Lamont

That is what I meant, before UFC came around MMA was actually interesting. Now it is slowly becoming more and more like WWF style wrestling.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
That is what I meant, before UFC came around MMA was actually interesting. Now it is slowly becoming more and more like WWF style wrestling.

So pre-1993 you were watching bootleg copies of Brazilian Vale Tudo fights and Japanese Shootfighting? What MMA were you watching prior to the UFC that was "actually interesting."

Lamont

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
So pre-1993 you were watching bootleg copies of Brazilian Vale Tudo fights and Japanese Shootfighting? What MMA were you watching prior to the UFC that was "actually interesting."

Lamont
Yeah, that's what i'm wondering!

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I really want to see Kimbo lose. Especially after being given tomato can opponents his entire time in pro MMA.

What's the deal with MMA hatred in the previous posts?

DEAL WITH IT and stop promoting a double standard by insulting one style and complaining when someone knocks your style.

Or are you closet MMA fans? You can come out... Really, you can. Heck, bring your style into an MMA gym and see where it goes from there.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am going to to stop posting stuff about MMA , it seems you all have chips on yoru shoulders and are always on the defensive. People are allowed opinions but as soon as anyone gives one about MMA you all start crying. I won't waste my time in anymore posts about MMA.

P.S> I was simply stating that MMA is just a quick money maker and loads of people are jumping on the bandwagon. It will fizzle out and be gone in 5-10 years so I am not worried about it.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I am going to to stop posting stuff about MMA , it seems you all have chips on yoru shoulders and are always on the defensive. People are allowed opinions but as soon as anyone gives one about MMA you all start crying. I won't waste my time in anymore posts about MMA.

You need to better form your arguments for or against whatever it is we are talking about. If your statements have huge glaring errors in them, expect someone to take you up on it. This is a discussion forum, this is what we do. Take it as a lesson learned rather than an attack, punching a sparring partner in the head because they have a hole in their guard is not a bad thing, and it is a benefit to the punchee.

Lamont

Skpotamus

Brown Belt
Reaction score

P.S> I was simply stating that MMA is just a quick money maker and loads of people are jumping on the bandwagon. It will fizzle out and be gone in 5-10 years so I am not worried about it.

I'm still curious what MMA you were watching pre UFC. I honestly want to know, I'm not flaming or baiting you, but asking an honest question.

The early UFC's were a marketing gimmick for BJJ, but a marketing gimmick that showed a glaring weakness in most martial arts systems (groundfighting). Before the UFC"s were around, most people disregarded groundfighting and grappling altogether by saying they'd just KO the grappler before they hit the ground. Then people find out that it's not that easy, so people started adding in groundfighting or at least learn how to stop a takedown. This wake up in martial arts thinking in the US came from the UFC. Before it, tournaments that allowed grappling and striking were rare and obscure and the level of athletes involved was not high.

Today the sport is going more mainstream and getting more attention in the US. The result is higher pay, better fighters, and better fights (for the most part). It's still an entertainment industry though, so some matchmakers and promotors choose to use circus sideshow events to get more attention. The problme is, they want to get a wider audience to watch it, and they do this by capitalizing on big names for the common people. Kimbo x Shamrock is one of those matches.

FWIW, before boxing got big money involved in it, they had matches like this as part of prelims and even more absurd things, such as fighting all comers from the audience. People fighting bears, etc.

I doubt that MMA will fizzle out (or at least hope not), it's been gaining in popularity and recognition since 1993, and even more so in the last few years. I think as a sport, that it's here to stay, and will hopefully just keep on growing and getting better.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I don't have a chip on my shoulder. I do have a problem with people like you that play the passive-aggressive game when it comes to talking about the MAs.

You're not taking the high road, pal. You're showing a lack of knowledge. No passive-aggressiveness here on my part. Just plain forthcoming observation.

Here's my offensive:

I think you should start thinking outside the box. You should get rid of the chip on YOUR shoulder and back up your statements with intelligent, thought-provoking facts. You have failed to do so. Horribly. Get out of the MMA boards and quit commenting on something you obviously don't know anything about. You don't see me commenting on WC/CMA stuff, let alone insulting it. So I suggest paying respect where respect is due or all of this could just be an entire flame board.

I hope that your feelings aren't hurt by reading this. I do hope that you take this as constructive criticism.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
this is getting out of hand gents

EVERYONE is worth repsect wether you agree with them or not.

dont make it personal.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Who is Elite XC going to get to fight Kimbo next? They going to raid the old fighters retirement home?

They're probably in talks to bring Muhammad Ali out of retirement.

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Muhammah Ali,lol!!

The thing is the people who hate it will spread it like wildfire that they hate it. The people that love it will do the same thing. Then when it comes we will all sit infront of the tv like the zombies we are and watch it.

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Who is Elite XC going to get to fight Kimbo next? They going to raid the old fighters retirement home?

They're probably in talks to bring Muhammad Ali out of retirement.

My vote is for Macho Camacho...he's hasn't lost a fight in a long time. However, he hasn't fought in a long time either. ;)

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Muhammah Ali,lol!!

The thing is the people who hate it will spread it like wildfire that they hate it. The people that love it will do the same thing. Then when it comes we will all sit infront of the tv like the zombies we are and watch it.

An undeniable trainwreck...and I will be watching it for sure.

Per P.T. Barnum, "There's a sucker born every minute."

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Poor Shamrock. I hope he doesn't have any balance issues. If he goes for a kick and slips he is done. Kimbo will win via strikes within the first minute.

I agree Shamrock has lost it. What would've been better for Shamrock is to get one of his students from the Lions Den to fight Kimbo. Everybody would win, and he'd still get his name mentioned.

I'm hoping that we can see a glimpse of the fighter Ken use to be, and he puts it on Kimbo, and at least wins by decision.

Sadly though I think Ken will go down in the first minute of the second. Lets hope he at least reviews tape of Kimbo and finds a way to beat him. As the fight goes on it favors Shamrock, if his conditioning can hold up.

Kimbo is in Bas Rutten's school, so he is slowly developing into an MMA fighter, instead of some internet sensation, but if Ken wants a good showing and to keep his name being mentioned, he'll want to either submit, or ko Kimbo. This is the biggest accomplishment he'll be remembered for if he happens to just run over Kimbo.

I'm gonna be pulling for Ken so I guess we'll see what happens

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Muhammah Ali,lol!!

Sadly......you're probably RIGHT!

Even though we KNOW it's nothing but cynical marketing....we still get suckered in by it.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Poor Shamrock. I hope he doesn't have any balance issues. If he goes for a kick and slips he is done. Kimbo will win via strikes within the first minute.

I agree Shamrock has lost it. What would've been better for Shamrock is to get one of his students from the Lions Den to fight Kimbo. Everybody would win, and he'd still get his name mentioned.

I'm hoping that we can see a glimpse of the fighter Ken use to be, and he puts it on Kimbo, and at least wins by decision.

Sadly though I think Ken will go down in the first minute of the second. Lets hope he at least reviews tape of Kimbo and finds a way to beat him. As the fight goes on it favors Shamrock, if his conditioning can hold up.

Kimbo is in Bas Rutten's school, so he is slowly developing into an MMA fighter, instead of some internet sensation, but if Ken wants a good showing and to keep his name being mentioned, he'll want to either submit, or ko Kimbo. This is the biggest accomplishment he'll be remembered for if he happens to just run over Kimbo.

I'm gonna be pulling for Ken so I guess we'll see what happens

The sad thing about Kimbo Slice is that physically he's impressive, he has athletic ability and talent. But he's starting out in a fight game at an age where some veterans are thinking about retiring. If he had started 10 years ago he might have been a champion instead of a side-show.

34 years old is an OLD rookie MMA fighter. I feel his pain because i'm the same damn age! Which may explain why they're throwing him cans who are 10 years older than HE IS!

But at some point very soon Elite is going to have to expose Kimbo to young guys like Brett Rogers....and that's going to be the end of that.

I don't dislike Kimbo because of him personally.....but his hype machine leaves it difficult to really like the package deal.

Latest Discussions