UFC 61 Results

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
- Drew Fickett defeats Kurt Pellegrino by rear naked choke at 1:20 of the 3rd round.

- Cheick Kongo defeats Gilbert Aldana by referee stoppage due to a cut at 4:13 of the 1st round.

- Jeff Monson defeats Anthony Perosh by TKO at 2:22 of the 1st round

- Hermes Franca defeats Joe Jordan by triangle choke submission at :47 of the 3rd round.

- Joe Stevenson defeated Yves Edwards at 5:00 of round two.

- Frank Mir defeated Dan Christison by unanimous decision.

- Tito Ortiz defeated Ken Shamrock by TKO ref stoppage at 1:18 of round one.

- Josh Burkman defeated Josh Neer by unanimous decision.

- Tim Sylvia defeated Andrei Arlovski by unanimous decision.

Well the main events where dissapointing.

Sylvia and Arlovski circled each other for 5 rounds with very little action, Arlovski started off strong working leg kicks well, then basically gave up on them. Didn't even attempt a takedowns despite being much stronger on the ground then Sylvia. And Sylvia played the stay away and "Don't loose" game, no aggression. Which I suppose is smart as he is the champion and if Arlovski wants the belt he's got to go take it. But the HW division in the UFC needs some new blood badly.

But before that came another poor one, Tito pinned Shamrock landed a few elbows and the ref stopped it, Shamrock immediately jumped up not looking at all hurt and even less happy about it. Much Booing followed.

To stop the booing Dana White steppded in with a big announcment, providing Chuck Liddell defends against Babalou we get a big treat, Wanderlie Silva will come to the UFC to fight Chuck in November.

No mention of if the belt is on the line though.

We also got one of the bloodier fights the UFC has had, with Edwards getting cut open pretty bad on the head from the fence and leaving a huge puddle. Doctors checked it and let him go, but after the round they couldn't stop it and called it, probably do to loss of blood... yuck...

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I honestly thought the call was a good one in the beginning when I saw Ken pinned and not defending himself and kinda looking a little stunned and limp after that first elbow. However, I was shocked to see him jump up, looking vitually unscathed. Wow, can that man take hits to the head! There will definitely be another fight between those two.

Arlovsky and Sylvia was, well..boring. No ground fighting, all stand up. The fans were booing big time.

And as Andrew said, Edwards cut produced A LOT of blood as head wounds generally do. Both fighters were so covered in his blood it was somewhat rather disgusting. Ick...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was quite disappointed with the Ortiz/Shamrock fight. I mean, these are two guys that have alot of fights under their belt. Its not like this was their first time in the octagon. I think the ref. was a bit too quick to jump in. IMO, he should've let it go a little longer. Ortiz said that Shamrock went limp? Shamrocks arms/hands were still up near his face when the fight was stopped. If he was limp that would not have been the case.

Looking at the Stevenson/Edwards fight, IMO, that was a fight that should have been stopped sooner. The guy was a bloddy mess and there were times when he wasn't defending himself either.

I was also disappointed with Arlovski/Slyvia as well. I thought for sure there would be a KO in that fight.

Mike

Knarfan

Green Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
I was quite disappointed with the Ortiz/Shamrock fight. I mean, these are two guys that have alot of fights under their belt. Its not like this was their first time in the octagon. I think the ref. was a bit too quick to jump in. IMO, he should've let it go a little longer. Ortiz said that Shamrock went limp? Shamrocks arms/hands were still up near his face when the fight was stopped. If he was limp that would not have been the case.

Looking at the Stevenson/Edwards fight, IMO, that was a fight that should have been stopped sooner. The guy was a bloddy mess and there were times when he wasn't defending himself either.

I was also disappointed with Arlovski/Slyvia as well. I thought for sure there would be a KO in that fight.

Shamrocks arms/hands were still up around his face? The only thing that was around Shamrocks face were Ortizes elbows. I don't know if Ken actually went limp but, it did look that way to me. Bottom line is your either defending yourself or your not & I think that it was obvious that when the fight was stopped Ken wasn't really defending himself. Maybe Ken wasn't really that hurt but, his arms weren't were they should have been, because he didn't block or attempt to block one elbow. I think this is obvious. as far as Ken jumping up like he wasn't injured kind of suprised me but, very well conditioned athletes do recover quickley from head shots & even ko's (somtimes) but, that dosen't mean that they are in a position to intellegently defend themselves & that is the reason that the fight was ultimitly stopped. Herb probably could have givin it another 5 or 10 seconds but , the fight was stopped because Ken wasn't doing what he should have been doing (defending himself). Until he can figure out how to avoid Ortizes takdown attempts or have a more aggressive guard he is going to get beat down every time. he won't win by just hanging on & he wasn't really even hanging on, he was basically laying there limp taking a beating.
All in all I thought that it was a dissapointing night. I like Shamrock & I wanted to see him make a good showing. I'm glad that Ortize was man enough to give him another shot. I thought that the rest of the fights were mediocore at best. I thought that Mir looked overweight & sloppy, I thought that Silvia & Arlovski put on a very boring show. I was getting sick of watching them continually touch gloves. These guys were fighting for the heavyweight title in a grudge match & it seemed like they were spaced out, like they didn't know how to react to the situation. I was very suprised & let down. Could have been one of the better fight cards but, turned out to be a dud, You never know.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Thanks for posting the results.

All I can think of is : What's up with Arlovski? I know he's a more technical fighter, and thought for sure that he would win.

As for Wanderlei Silva, going to be a tough one for Chuck. Wanderlei is said to be the best fighter of his generation, supposedly picked by other fighters to be better than Rickson, from what I've heard.

Stillelman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was also disappointed in the matches.

Ken and Tito's match was a joke. Ken bull rushed him, and basically got picked up and slammed. While I thought the refs stoppage was a little premature, it was just a matter or seconds before it was stopped anyway. Ken did not stop one of the hard elbows to the face, and his face showed some wear already. I think a couple more of the elbows would have KO'd him.

Arlovski/Slyvia fight provided little entertainment as well. It appeared both feared more about getting KO'd than they cared about winning the belt. If there was more than a 3-5 punch combo I would be very suprised. IT was mostly jab followed by a single punch. Very disappointed in the effort of both men. I think Slyvia should be more than a little worried about facing the grappler Monson, because I think he will not be scared to take him to the ground as Arlovski appeared.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Honestly, Wanderlei will never fight chuck because chuck won't get through Babalu this time. ;)

Babalu, seriously though, is probably the most improved fighter in recent years. He beat Mauricio Shogun Rua (wandy's stablemate) so I wonder if Babalu beats Liddell, if Wanderlei will fight Babalu Sobral

Ken did not go limp, his hands were down though, but it looked like he was turning for an escape or sub attempt. his guard was still very much up though.

Congratulations to Frank Mir. maybe now we'll see that rematch between Sylvia and Mir

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All the repect for Babalu, but I think Chuck has this one again. Out of Babalu's last 10 winning streak he's got 4 decissions and 6 submissions.

Chuck's takedown defence is incredible, Randy couldn't keep him down and I don't think Babalu will be able to either. And Standing in front of him for 5 rounds is going to make it very difficult to stay concsious...

Chuck by KO :)

(And yes, partly I just want to see Silva fight Chuck)

Latest Discussions