Killbill = Discrace to Bruce Lee

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
Yeah rite, shes not even good looking, but if your American your probably like anything on legs. (Ok, so I'm being predujiced). I'm not gay, but Bruce Lee suits the role better than she ever will.
Yep I'm American... what's that have to do with anything?

Corporal Hicks said:
I know its a movie and I know the fact that Bruce Lee was not a God and merely a human being however he probably is the greatest in the last fifty years unless you care to name any as good as or better than him?
Ok... Hatsumi Masaaki, Nishiyama Hidetaki (sp??), Jew Tien Long, Lee Koon hung, Ed Parker Sr, Kise Fuse, Demura Fumio, Chen Xiao wang, Chan Koon tai, etc... all good fighters, some excellent fighters on a day to day basis... Bruce Lee was good, but wasn't all that. He was just different back then.

Corporal Hicks said:
Ok, so I'm being slightly biased, as for Tarianto (sorry cant spell his name) I noticed he seems to like copying other decent films, hardly a decent film producer or director. He should have simply stayed away from Bruce Lee's theme's and ideas.
Killbill in my opinion is pointless gore and violence, the story line isn't exactly great and so much of the film is copied from other great films.
Pointless, almost pathetic. But critics like it because they dont know where the orginal ideas "orginally" came from and they think its "pure" genius.
Yep you're biased & there's been plenty of examples for you to get his name right... here's another... Tarantino. He's not copying other films in these two movies. It's his homage to the whole "kung fu movie" world at one shot.

Relax & take things easier. Life will work better for you & like most people here... I don't think Bruce Lee would mind seeing a 6 foot tall blonde in the jump suit (granted... she does have feet that could kill on sight!!!!). I mean... he didn't even get to see the movie the jumpsuit appeared in.

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
What about the jumpsuit? Most people who watch killbill dont have a clue what it means?

I think Bruce would have been more offended that they got some bozo who barely looks like him to wear the same disputed jumpsuit IN HIS OWN MOVIE. Filming hadn't completed on Game of Death by the time he died, so in order to recover the invested funds they made do with cut footage and a body double. A pretty lame end result except for the actual fight scenes. Kill Bill is technically and aesthetically a much better film.

Bruce liked women and by all accounts had a good sense of humor, so I think he would have enjoyed Kill Bill and be honored that his films deserved a homage from an accomplished director and cast 30 years later.

It's easy to deify people. Remember, Bruce, though very innovative and accomplished, was just a human like everyone else.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
psi_radar said:
I think Bruce would have been more offended that they got some bozo who barely looks like him to wear the same disputed jumpsuit IN HIS OWN MOVIE. Filming hadn't completed on Game of Death by the time he died, so in order to recover the invested funds they made do with cut footage and a body double. A pretty lame end result except for the actual fight scenes. Kill Bill is technically and aesthetically a much better film.

Bruce liked women and by all accounts had a good sense of humor, so I think he would have enjoyed Kill Bill and be honored that his films deserved a homage from an accomplished director and cast 30 years later.

It's easy to deify people. Remember, Bruce, though very innovative and accomplished, was just a human like everyone else.
I totally agree, why do people feel that Bruce would be angered over this. The fight scenes they ended up with in the game of death weren't even up to Bruces standards. These were all scenes that Bruce was going to throw out.

G

gyaku-zuki queen

just in my opinion.. no offence 2 u ppl who liked the movies.. but they were so fake and the gore was too much... it was just so fake. the movies were boring too. bruce lee movies clean up the mat with kill bill ones.

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kill Bill wasnt really I movie I would have seen, but that there was nothing else to see, so I thought I'd watch it for something to do. I acutally thought it was alright for what he was trying to do. Alot better than Jean Claude Van Damms movies (the guy cant even kick properly!!)

shinbushi

Green Belt
Reaction score
I actually think the movie was much more disrectful to kenjutsu and the samurai for such aweful use of the katana. Why not use broadswords if you are going to use Wushu

P

PeachMonkey

Corporal Hicks said:
Bruce Lee was not a god (correct) but he was however a high distinction and I would say the most well known and greatest so far because he did not just do Martial Arts in its phsyical concept, but he was a philsopher as well as a physcologist
Is it your supposition, then, that Bruce Lee was the first martial artist to bring philosophy, psychology, and other disciplines into his considerations of martial arts?

Corporal Hicks said:
What about the jumpsuit? Most people who watch killbill dont have a clue what it means?
What exactly is your point? That Tarentino's homage to Bruce Lee and other classic martial arts stars is less valid because some of the viewers wouldn't recognize the jumpsuit?

Corporal Hicks said:
Not only that, Killbill has a stupid IMO of gore in it, so much at the end you begin to think "well i'm getting bored now" do you really think Bruce Lee would have sat and thought "Well I like that!"
First, I think you need to look up the words "parody" and "homage", and the phrase "tongue-in-cheek".

Second, I do think Bruce would have liked the films. He was an intelligent, educated man, and from the first Shawscope banner through the last frame of Kill Bill Volume 2, he would have recognized that he was being shown honor from a great, great fan (along with the other Tarentino influences from 70s exploitation films through Sergio Leone westerns that were being honored).

In the end, though, it doesn't *matter* what Bruce would have thought. The films deserve to be analyzed on their own merit.

Corporal Hicks said:
Oh yeah did he direct Charlies Angels? Or is tha false?
Where did you get this idea? The Charlies Angels films were directed by "McG":

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0160127/

OP
Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
UMA isnt that nice, give me Sarah Michelle Gellar anyday. As for American's liking anything on two legs that rather a myth over here.

The film is not great IMO, its just gore extreme and just simply gets boring because you know that she's going to cut some more limbs off now, YES I'M BORED ALREADY GIVE ME A STORYLINE WORTH WATCHING (come on I rate ALIEN and THE THING higher than killbill and they are from the 70's and 80's but at least they are decent films). But I do agree with Game Of Death being quite crap in that respect. However has anybody seen the un-cut version of the tower fight scene on the anniversy Bruce Lee boxset, thats better than the orginal film?

S

sifu nick

I liked the Kill Bill movies. I thought they were entertaining. I think Uma's outfit and the crazy 88's masks were all a tribute to Lee not a disgrace.

OP
Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, who says Bruce Lee would like it?
According to the Bruce Lee anniversy Box Set and the book " The Life of Bruce Lee" written by Linda Lee, Bruce did not like gore in a film, especially if it was extreme, so what gives anybody the impression that he would have approved of the film, Its MO and I believe that Kill Bill should have left the Bruce Lee genre alone. If you dont think so, dont flame me.

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
According to the Bruce Lee anniversy Box Set and the book " The Life of Bruce Lee" written by Linda Lee, Bruce did not like gore in a film, especially if it was extreme, so what gives anybody the impression that he would have approved of the film, Its MO and I believe that Kill Bill should have left the Bruce Lee genre alone. If you dont think so, dont flame me.

That was in the 1960s though, society has changed. I think most people would be shocked from that time if they'd seen a film like Kill Bill, just the same way people were outraged when they first heard Rock n' Roll. But, can you imagine a world without rock now? :)

Ian.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:

Hong Kong cinema's hardly Bruce Lee's turf alone. That aside, the gore in Kill Bill is usually extreme to the point of it being cartooneque. Bruce apparently had no problem with similar levels of gore given he starred in Fists of Fury which involved a whole lotta people being killed, dismembered and frozen in ice blocks.

N

Neckbones

Ok, I solved it. I called the AFA (American Film Association) and explained that many people were upset about the similarities in the outfits that Uma and Bruce wore. They have advised that there will be no more films made with jumpsuits that are yellow with black stripes down the side.

To imply that a movie like KillBill is being disrespectful to Bruce Lee movies or any other MA movies is ....
:bs1:

OP
Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Marginal said:
Hong Kong cinema's hardly Bruce Lee's turf alone. That aside, the gore in Kill Bill is usually extreme to the point of it being cartooneque. Bruce apparently had no problem with similar levels of gore given he starred in Fists of Fury which involved a whole lotta people being killed, dismembered and frozen in ice blocks.
Similar Levels of Gore lolololololol! The hell have you been watching?

And anyway Fists of Fury is not people being dismembered and frozen in ice blocks thats in the Big Boss. And you dont actually see the people being dismembered nor random limbs being lopped off for that matter, like in Killbill.

Quote:
To imply that a movie like KillBill is being disrespectful to Bruce Lee movies or any other MA movies is ....

Is that your opinion, or a fact (that you would like to think it is)? Or are you just being stupid.

But I have to agree with satans.barber about the rock

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
i don't know... but i actually enjoyed the kill bill movies more than bruce lee movies. more special effects! thats just my preference.

OP
Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Enson said:
i don't know... but i actually enjoyed the kill bill movies more than bruce lee movies. more special effects! thats just my preference.
Yeah I know, and I totally appreciate that, (thankyou for somebody with a decent honest answer) but its not about the special effects, because any film beats old films if your going to base it on special effects. I'm just saying about the concept behind it.
What I will say though, is that even when Kill Bill is gone, Bruce Lee and Bruce Lee films will still be around! I think that shows alot more than fancy videos ever can. Though I will have to admit, Kill Bill volume 2 was more likeable for me IMO than number1.

Regards

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
Similar Levels of Gore lolololololol! The hell have you been watching?

Lola, I just told you. Kill Bill and Fists of Fury.

And anyway Fists of Fury is not people being dismembered and frozen in ice blocks thats in the Big Boss.

Same movie, different title as per localization. I stand uncorrected.

And you dont actually see the people being dismembered nor random limbs being lopped off for that matter, like in Killbill.

No, you see retards being tortured because they're retards instead. (Judging from that movie, Bruce's family tree had one branch.) The point is, it's cartoonish violence. A giant sawblade... It's right out of Dudley Dooright. O-Ren Ishi's decapitation of the Yakuza boss is equally absurd. Same with the swordfight with the Crazy 88's. Which wasn't just a homage to Bruce, but also to Samurai movies, Hong Kong cinema etc. You see flashes like the sequence where The Bride falls down to the ground and hacks out people's legs just like Bruce's 'chucks did in Chinese Connection, but Kill Bill was never supposed to be all about Lee either way.

(Which is a good thing since the two Lee movies I mentioned were horrible.)

OP
Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok, forgive me I'm confused! Chinese Connection your refering to Fists of Fury right?

No, you see retards being tortured because they're retards instead. (Judging from that movie, Bruce's family tree had one branch.) QUOTE

Which film is that? I dont remember people being tortured or is my memory really that bad? Or is that Enter The Dragon in which I havnt seen yet so I wouldn't know what its about! I think I get your point though, thanks.

but Kill Bill was never supposed to be all about Lee either way. QUOTE

I'm afraid it could have fooled me, looks like it did, and I thought it was sh*te!

Latest Discussions