Killbill = Discrace to Bruce Lee

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better, Uma's wearing riding leathers, not a jumpsuit.

Only thing I hate about Kill Bill is when Oren swallows her whimper in the animation sequence. That's just stupid on so many levels.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
I can see you point but you really can not call him mediocre and you cannot call his films mediocre either, thats mainly because its your opinion. Look at it this way, his films are now old and they are not exactly with the times, but all of them apart from Game Of Death broke box office records in Asia, I think that is definatly not mediocre, as for a man who also broke the prejucdice against Asians and blacks in film making as well as being a role model and hero for millions of people, that is certainly not mediocre, nor is the art that he created seeing it cut all the crap out of traditional martial arts and just made a direct system that is extremely effective.
if thats what he has done.....then lets call it what it is....streetfighting.
to call it a martial art is a slam against "art"
all the stuff that goes along with studying a traditional ryu is what makes it fun....not doing the same thing as buddy down the street.

im not totally slamming bruce lee........but i think his actual contributions to the martial arts world are pretty minimal in the grand scheme....and to some thats alright, i require something a lil bit more i guess

shawn

OP
Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
if thats what he has done.....then lets call it what it is....streetfighting.
to call it a martial art is a slam against "art"
all the stuff that goes along with studying a traditional ryu is what makes it fun....not doing the same thing as buddy down the street.

im not totally slamming bruce lee........but i think his actual contributions to the martial arts world are pretty minimal in the grand scheme....and to some thats alright, i require something a lil bit more i guess

shawn
Nice, I see what you mean now, and yes I agree in a way, thanks for the post!
Regards

And for the other guy. she aint wearing riding leathers, thats in Killbill 2, I think....I cant remember

P

PeachMonkey

Corporal Hicks said:
Lol, my friend, please, one of my best friends is a killbill fanatic, the reason I started this thread was to see if I had actually got a valid idea.

Your idea is perfectly valid, it's just wrong :)

Corporal Hicks said:
but why is a film sooooo good, if all Tariantio did was copy all the other Martial Art movies and make up a bodge one!

Because that's not what he did.

Corporal Hicks said:
In my eyes Bruce Lee, is a legend, so why steal his idea, its not homage

Yes, it is. Your insistence that it is not shows me either that you do not understand the word homage, or that you are not familiar with the legacy of wuxia films, ultraviolent Japanese films, Shaw Bros. classics, and other films of various sizes and shapes that Tarentino paid homage to with Kill Bill.

It is fair to say that homage of this type is not to your taste, but to claim that the film was not an homage is simply bogus.

Corporal Hicks said:
Killbill is not a homage, its a disgrace to Martial Arts.

We've already discussed your opinion on homage. As to being a disgrace, I'm glad I don't like in your limited world. Just out of curiosity, are wuxia films a "disgrace to Martial Arts" because people can't really fly?

OP
Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Homage: According to an ENGLISH DICTONARY= (In feudal law) formal acknowledgement of allegiance; reverence, tribute, paid.

QUOTE: or that you are not familiar with the legacy of wuxia films.

I admit I'm not familar with wuxia films but when refering to ultraviolent japanese films you must be refering to films such a Battle Royale and in the Realm of The Senses.

QUOTE:
We've already discussed your opinion on homage. As to being a disgrace, I'm glad I don't like in your limited world. Just out of curiosity, are wuxia films a "disgrace to Martial Arts" because people can't really fly?

Lol, I'm just saying that I dont like Tarianto's idea of homage (as you have already bluntly pointed out) not only that, I'm not wrong (I'm not right either), its my opinion. Ok, so he considered it homage, I do not to an extent. I dont see how a film created from ideas of other films is so great, If another producer apart from Tarianto did that, guarrented he/she would get absolutely ripped for it and it wouldnt be considered "homage". You say its homage to Bruce Lee, I dont see that wearing a jumpsuit that has no revenlance to the film pays homage. I can see how the extreme and pointless violence of killbill pays homage to the other japanese films.

Ok I'll put it down to this, I dont like Killbill, alot of MA's I know, dont like it either, stating they dont like the idea of it copying Fist of Fury fight scenes, the jumpsuit, the hacking on the floor with the samuri sword etc etc. I just wanted to make a point. I think the film is crap, extreme load of violence for what seems like nothing, to be honest. A jumpsuit that doesnt mean anything to the film. I
think we should give Tarianto a huge round of appaluase for being such a good producer of killbill (a loud snort from media studies students) and that he did indeed pay a decent amount of homage to all Martial Arts and its styles and that the film was really great. I really enjoyed the pointless violence and lopping of limps that enjured (bored now) and how the film captivated me completely, now I'm off to watch Mind Body and Kick *** moves if you dont mind.
Moderator please delete this thread. Encase some Killbill Pro Fanatics come and incinerate my b*llocks in a furnace.

P

PeachMonkey

Corporal Hicks said:
Lol, I'm just saying that I dont like Tarianto's idea of homage

...which I respect, although I disagree...

Corporal Hicks said:
Ok, so he considered it homage, I do not to an extent.

To *what* extent? The film is either homage, or it is not.

Corporal Hicks said:
If another producer apart from Tarianto did that, guarrented he/she would get absolutely ripped for it and it wouldnt be considered "homage".

Why do you feel this is the case? Can you show some evidence where another filmmaker produced an homage and got ripped for it because they weren't Quentin Tarentino?

Corporal Hicks said:
You say its homage to Bruce Lee, I dont see that wearing a jumpsuit that has no revenlance to the film pays homage.

Well, for starters, Uma Thurman played the heroic lead... as did Bruce Lee when he wore that jumpsuit. In addition, Thurman had to battle her way through multiple levels of opponents to reach the protagonist... including a vertical passage up to where O'ren Ishi'I was waiting... (remind you of any Bruce Lee movies where he wore the jumpsuit?)

It's totally okay not to like the Kill Bill films, even though I think you're being closed-minded for not liking them.

OP
Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I got to agree, why the hell is this post so long? Opps I think its because of me!

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
And for the other guy. she aint wearing riding leathers, thats in Killbill 2, I think....I cant remember

Nope. She only wears them when she gets on the motocycle in Japan. She doffs the jacket in the women's toilet, but they are definitely riding leathers. She wears nothing of the sort in KB 2.

OP
Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Marginal said:
Nope. She only wears them when she gets on the motocycle in Japan. She doffs the jacket in the women's toilet, but they are definitely riding leathers. She wears nothing of the sort in KB 2.
Alas I am wrong! :)

Kamaria Annina

Green Belt
Reaction score
I thought that movie was kinda... humerous. I would never have taken it into that kind of seriousness...

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Finally I saw the first KB1 movie.. ya, I'm a bit slow sometimes... Personally I thought it was G-R-E-A-T! Classic and typical Tarrentino movie. It's an ART film and like it's been said not to be taken seriously except for the marvelous visuals the movie provide and the homage Tarrentino pays to the genre.
Bloody, ya but not as bad as I've seen in others. Exaggerated? Sure which is how many of the classic Japanese (samurai) films were done.
Funny? Oh my, hell yeah. Again classic Tarrentino writing.
Disgrace to Bruce Lee. .... You know what? I think that Lee would've loved to have a part in this movie even if it were a cameo or a short role like Sonny Chiba's.
I plan to see the second installment sometime later today or tomorrow.
Thumbs up!

OP
Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not going to say anything.

Apart from that of course.

Oh and can somebody padlock this page (Admin) :) ! Cheers