Kihon Happo Video Clip!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This one I realy like. The moves are slow enough so anyone can tell what is happening and how to do them

You spend way to much time on Utube :)

bencole

Green Belt
Reaction score
This one I realy like. The moves are slow enough so anyone can tell what is happening and how to do them

Please be cognizant that not everything you see is *THE* correct way of doing things. There are many ways of doing even Omote Gyaku, the first technique on the video.

When I learned it, for example, the arm never swept back then forward to create momentum like that. We also used our knees (by dropping our weight) as we pushed the hand off. There were also subtleties about the position of the hands (yours and the grabbing hand), the angle of removal of the hand, and even how far to pull the leg back! :)

Each technique has many, many ways of performing it. A good teacher is able to point out the "goods" and the "bads" of doing the technique in any particular way.

Please be cognizant of these things when looking to use such clips as training tools or as ways of criticizing the technique. It's very easy for people to think that because it is taught by "a teacher" that it is "correct." It is also very easy for people to "criticize" *ANY* footage, saying things like, "In a real fight, you won't have time to sweep the arm back like that."

The arm sweep could have been introduced to "trick" the student into rotating the hips in a certain way (having *NOTHING* to do with the actual arm). I've done that before myself when teaching. ;)

Without having a teacher to point these things out at the end, you will get a false impression of what the technique entails, and you may end up building strange habits that serve no useful purpose. Please keep this in mind when "learning" through such video footage.

Best of luck with your training!

-ben

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Please be cognizant that not everything you see is *THE* correct way of doing things. There are many ways of doing even Omote Gyaku, the first technique on the video.

When I learned it, for example, the arm never swept back then forward to create momentum like that. We also used our knees (by dropping our weight) as we pushed the hand off. There were also subtleties about the position of the hands (yours and the grabbing hand), the angle of removal of the hand, and even how far to pull the leg back! :)

Each technique has many, many ways of performing it. A good teacher is able to point out the "goods" and the "bads" of doing the technique in any particular way.

Please be cognizant of these things when looking to use such clips as training tools or as ways of criticizing the technique. It's very easy for people to think that because it is taught by "a teacher" that it is "correct." It is also very easy for people to "criticize" *ANY* footage, saying things like, "In a real fight, you won't have time to sweep the arm back like that."

The arm sweep could have been introduced to "trick" the student into rotating the hips in a certain way (having *NOTHING* to do with the actual arm). I've done that before myself when teaching. ;)

Without having a teacher to point these things out at the end, you will get a false impression of what the technique entails, and you may end up building strange habits that serve no useful purpose. Please keep this in mind when "learning" through such video footage.

Best of luck with your training!

-ben

Ben makes a really good point in that you have to have a guide, a teacher to show you the way. Video clips are fun to watch and see but you do need a teacher to show you how to do something correctly and also the variations involved.

Devil_Hanzo

White Belt
Reaction score
That's how I was taught onikudaki, too. Way too friendly. When you apply the lock, try straightening out the uke arm more so it's less of an acute bend and more of an obtuse angle. You can feel it about to break. I've just been taught that way and found it extremely more effective.

Latest Discussions