Kihap

Errant108

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The term gihap has nothing to do with shouting. That's basically an elementary school usage of the term.

氣合/기합/gihap means to coordinate breathing and mental focus with physical motion into a decisive overt action.

The militant shouting taught in forms is a left over from the early days of Taegwondo's formation and Japanization of Okinawan karate.

Shouting while attacking could be used as an attempt to bring that clarity of thought and action together, but ideally, it wouldn't matter if you shouted or not. Arguments about which move in a given form one should shout on completely miss the point.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well how about that? Thank you, Errant108, thank you for explaining this term and bringing this to light. So very plain to see, then, right?

We DO gihap on each motion, though it is not audible except on some!

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The term gihap has nothing to do with shouting. That's basically an elementary school usage of the term.

氣合/기합/gihap means to coordinate breathing and mental focus with physical motion into a decisive overt action.

The militant shouting taught in forms is a left over from the early days of Taegwondo's formation and Japanization of Okinawan karate.

Shouting while attacking could be used as an attempt to bring that clarity of thought and action together, but ideally, it wouldn't matter if you shouted or not. Arguments about which move in a given form one should shout on completely miss the point.

Thanks, Errant108. I was beginning to think no one here shared my thoughts on the matter (see post #6).

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Technically, the Korean language definition of "Kihap" has nothing to do with either yelling or breathing.

Anyone ever hear of Hapkido? 합기도

합 = Hap - meaning coordinated as in merger; mutual; fusion; union

기 = Ki - meaning high spirits; energy; vitality

합기 (Hapki) = Coordinated energy

기합 (Kihap) = Energy that is coordinated or focused

It is a coordination of mental focus and physical energy. It is defined in Dong-A's Korean/English dictionary as "will power."

In this context, "Kihap" is a noun - - the "will power" or "focused energy" that you possess at any giving time. You can increase it, or decrease it at will depending on your mental focus. Thus, any Taekwondo technique can be performed with "Kihap" (a blend of intense spiritual energy/will power with physical action), and never make a sound. To increase physical assertion and power, proper breathing is naturally one of the many methods, therefore breathing or breath control is often associated with the moment of intense focus, or "Kihap," but by original definition, it refers neither to breathing nor yelling.

On the other hand, in the context of Taekwondo, as a "yell" or "shout with energy," the term Kihap is being used as a verb. This might not be a common language usage throughout Korea, but it is a well established alternate definition as used in the Korean Martial Art community. Professional jargon is often adopted by people who define terms according to a specific field or skill. Personally, I wouldn't refer to Kihap (meaning a yell) as being an elementary school definition, since it has been used for decades by adult Taekwondo Masters conveying a concept to adult students. Countless times, I have heard native born Korean speaking Grandmaster say, "Let me hear you KIHAP!" or "Kihap louder." Not only does this imply an action verb rather than a noun, it specifically refers to making a sound.

If a term like "noogie" was commonly used to refer to a childish playground activity of putting someone in a headlock, and rubbing their head with your knuckles, then that's one definition. If Professional Wrestlers, or even combat fighters, started using the same term as another name for a "pile-driver" where you turn a person upside-down and drive their head into the ground, potentially causing serious head injury, broken neck, and death, then I would say that the nature of the term "noogie" would change, and would no longer be an elementary school one. I believe that the term "Kihap" as yell has been used by skilled adults and professional instructors who have a clear understanding of the language, and its meaning so as to validate this as a legitimate adult definition for modern usage.

Can we perform successful, powerful strikes without an audible "Kihap?" Yes. Does a louder Kihap help to increase the power of a strike? This might be debatable in some people's minds, but not in my mind. Why do power lifters make such an audible yell when lifting heavy weights. Have you ever seen one of them win an Olympic Gold, or break a world record while lifting silently? Women giving natural childbirth don't just "push" quietly. Some of the yell off-sets the pain, perhaps helps to release natural endorphins and adrenaline, but the more intense contraction of internal organs is facilitated by the yell. In addition, it helps to keep us from NOT breathing correctly. Military soldiers chant when they run to encourage proper breathing. A weight lifter who does not breathe during a bench press, might just turn a few shades of red, then pass-out.

I agree with DArnold and the others who say that the power of "Kihap" (as a noun) comes from a coordination of physical and spiritual (or even mental focus), and while this type of focused "Kihap" can be used on every technique, I would reserve the maximum Kihap "yell" (as a verb) for finishing maneuvers, or those times that I wish to distract or destroy my opponent without a touch. In my own personal experience and belief, the audible Kihap does increase power significantly and if I am seeking maximum damage to a target, I will use it. Of course, this is just my personal opinion!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's not the question that was asked though....

"If a Kihap adds power to every move then why not Kihap on every move"

Because it is most advantageous for a Kihap to add power to a strike.

All strikes are moves, but not all moves are strikes.

There are other moves...something as simple as getting out of range. Or more complex moves such as grappling....successful execution of these are dependent on leverage, proper body mechanics, and the awareness of one's surroundings...but not power.

foot2face

Green Belt
Reaction score
If a Kihap adds power to a move then why not Kihap on every move??
I kind of do. I guess I'm what most would probably consider a noisy fighter. Pretty much every attack is synchronized with an exhalation and every exhalation is executed with an angry sounding "sAh", "Aht", "sAht" or "Ahsaht" with extra emphasis on particularly powerful strikes. At this point I can't help it, they just come out. It doesn't tire me out though. I feel like it actually helps me breath by preventing me from holding my breath during certain movements, something I've seen others do, which could be a real liability during the stress and physical exertion of an actual fight.

OP
D

DArnold

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I kind of do. I guess I'm what most would probably consider a noisy fighter. Pretty much every attack is synchronized with an exhalation and every exhalation is executed with an angry sounding "sAh", "Aht", "sAht" or "Ahsaht" with extra emphasis on particularly powerful strikes. At this point I can't help it, they just come out. It doesn't tire me out though. I feel like it actually helps me breath by preventing me from holding my breath during certain movements, something I've seen others do, which could be a real liability during the stress and physical exertion of an actual fight.

If making a sound does increase your Ki/Chi...
(as it can be mearly a subset of Kihaping that helps teach juniors)

and a Kihap is more than just yelling...

then how were you taught/how do you teach the meaning of Kihap if you do not use this theory (with juniors), as all know the holding of the breath is a junior problem along with 100% commitment (self consciousness).

OP
D

DArnold

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Surely this is not true as stated -- if it WERE true, then in all one-steps, there would be only the block (or parry, or avoid), and then only a SINGLE counterstrike. This is certainly not the case, though.

Why is this not the case?
If you were judging one steps what would you like to see?
One very leathal strike with incredible focus...
or someone dancing around, throwning multiple strikes with bad focus?

Which is more impressive, the perfection of one technique or the imperfection of multiple techniques?

What do you think the purpose of advancing from three step to two step to one step is?

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Why is this not the case?
If you were judging one steps what would you like to see?
One very leathal strike with incredible focus...
or someone dancing around, throwning multiple strikes with bad focus?
The first one. Bad focus is horrible.

Which is more impressive, the perfection of one technique or the imperfection of multiple techniques?
It would be better to know few techniques very well, than many not so good. Hopefully, one knows more than one of course.

"I would rather have 10 techniques that work for me than 100 that work against me" -- Ed Parker

What do you think the purpose of advancing from three step to two step to one step is?

I was told that though an old man who practices this might not have the stamina that a younger tkd person has, The older person can focus energy more densely, they can put more power into one single strike, because they have practiced for a longer time.

tkd1964

Green Belt
Reaction score
There has been talk in the ITF-C camp on bringing back the Kiaps in the patterns. At some of the seminars that master Choi has taught they have been reintroduced. This subject was brought up on the ITF admin site and Master Rai posted this:

" I can shed some light on this topic. The Ki-haps were spoken about in great detail at recent seminars and meetings. Master Choi informed me that Gen. Choi always liked the ki-haps. The problem became when students started to do different types of Ki-haps. What I mean by that was that they started to sound different. The Ki-haps should come from the stumach and should be short and explosive. For some reason they lost their pupose and Gen. Choi decided to take them out. Master Choi indicated that Gen. Choialways spoke about them and wished for them to return. We have decided to place them in movements that gen. Choi had them in. They are being introduced at seminars. Master Choi is not only adding the Ki-haps but will also be talking about them and how they should sound. This is very important. I know we did them in Holland last year and they sounded great. I remember teaching and it brought energy to the gym. they will be reintroduced but it will take time to teach everyone. Right now it is acceptable to use the Ki-haps if they have been taught by the instructors Master Choi has authorized to teach them. "

Taekwon
Master Rai

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting read.

I was reminded of the importance of the ki-hap working with a youngster literally holding his breath. it's a bit difficult to teach it properly when you have to talk right through the move that calls for it...