OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
arnisador said:
This is true, but there's another reason of great practical significance to those who wish to teach children: Any talk of knives scares parents. Even if you emphasize that only rubber knives are used, it scares them away--it's violent, it's bloody, people can get cut!

Good point and yes, I can imagine what parents would be thinking. Many times they are having similar feelings on some of the empty hand strikes as well as the contact level in some schools.

Mike

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jdinca said:
I don't think watering down the program is the best way to prevent bullying behavior. That should come from school philosophy and teaching technique.

True..We covered that during the introduction and so far no negative reports form the schools, parents or their advisor...

Dalum

Green Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
This is true, but there's another reason of great practical significance to those who wish to teach children: Any talk of knives scares parents. Even if you emphasize that only rubber knives are used, it scares them away--it's violent, it's bloody, people can get cut!

I've been trying to post to this thread for some time but couldn't say Modern Arnis and Kids in the same posts. I DO teach kids and those are the reasons above why I try not to go with edged training with kids. As Arnisador says, Concentrate on all of the other aspects of the style than sharp pointy things. :)

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
From what I can see of the kids classes, they are taught self defense. They almost look like the adult stuff, just not as "dangerous". Watered down? No- more like tailored for specific age ranges. Kids should learn self defense.

scottcatchot

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have four young daughters. I teach them to try and be aware and that if any one other tries to take them they don't know make as much noise as possible screaming, kicking, biting, whatever it takes. It is important to get them to realize the difference in an adult grabhbing them and just some bully. It is always a gamble with what kids will do. I hope this helps my kids, along with widely distributing the knowledge that Daddy would hunt down and kill anyone that harms his girls.

Latest Discussions