Testing & Nerves

Windsinger

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, I tested for my yellow stripe today. I was fine right up until I stepped into the dojang. Then the nerves hit. I always get nervous about tests, especially physical tests. Probably a hold-over from my high school days when I didn't give a rat's hind-quarters about phys ed.

I think I did okay. Got distracted at a couple of points, but my Sabum Nym gave me the chance to do one of my patterns over (got half way through it and started thinking, "Did he ask for Saju Makgi or Saju Jurugi?!"), which helped.

Side note: My son was testing for his yellow belt at the same time, and I think he's going to get it, no problem.
:highfive:

On the plus side, I finally (after a couple of months of trying) can count to 10 in Korean. Small victories, n'est pas? :D

But, then again, if I don't get my stripe this time, I know what I have to work on for the next testing date. And I know that, sometimes, if the problem is small enough, our Sabum Nym will let a person redo a portion of their testing to see if they have improved. That's how my son got his yellow stripe (called aside during class, tested apart from the rest of the class, and awarded his stripe at the end).

Just wanted to say that. We now return you to your regularly scheduled reality, or the nearest pocket dimension thereto.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I share your case of nerves when testing. In fact, my Hwa Rang Do orange belt test was hands down the most nerve-wracking experience of my life.

But I'm sure congratulations will be in order very soon for you and your son:)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Testing is intended to be a stressful situation. If you didn't get nervous, I'd be a lot more concerned about you. As an instructor, the few students I've had that didn't get nervous are the ones who screwed up the most... because they are the ones who didn't put in the extra practice they needed.

Remember, too, that at testing you're not supposed to be perfect (no one is, after all) - you're supposed to be demonstrating that you've mastered whatever skills you were supposed to learn well enough that you already are the next rank. Good instructors will not let you test unless you are able to pass; that's no guarantee that you will pass - otherwise it would be a demonstration, not a test - but if you weren't able to pass, you wouldn't have tested.

As far as confusing Saju Maki and Saju Jirugi (and it's not that hard to confuse 4 direction block and four direction punch) - if he let you do it over, and you did it, you should be fine. One of the things tested at testing is the ability to overcome mistakes and continue on, and it sounds like you did that.

So now... you've just got to make it through to whichever class promotions will occur at, and see what happens. But it sounds to me like you should be fine.

OP
Windsinger

Windsinger

Green Belt
Reaction score
There was one white belt who was asked to come in, not for testing, but because our Sabum Nym hadn't had a chance to discuss his testing from the previous month. For him, if he grades you between 59% and 70%, you pass, over 70%, you get a double promotion (ie white to yellow, instead of white to yellow stripe). Mr. O stated, quite clearly, that he rarely gives out double promotions, and his wife (who oversaw this guy's testing) never gives out doubles.

Needless to say, he was extremely happy when he jumped from white to yellow. :)

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When I 1st started training I used to get over hyped and nervous at testing time. I've been training for a long while now in the MAs, and what I've learned is that if you do nothing but prepare and practice all of the techs required at your rank, and just do it over and over and over, come test time you just go through the motions and everything comes to you naturally. And, during the test, since you're so focused on what you're doing the nervousness isn't even a factor anymore. At least that's the way it was for me and my experience.

Just be overly prepared, that's what I've learned... :asian:

OP
Windsinger

Windsinger

Green Belt
Reaction score
I know what my biggest problem is - I think about what I'm doing too much, as opposed to (at the risk of sounding like a Nike commercial) just doing it. Like when I was doing my patterns. Let's face it, Saju Makgi and Saju Jurugi aren't exactly brain surgery. And, yet, there I was, thinking about what I was doing, when I already know what I should do, what move should come next. And so I completely psyched myself out the first time through Saju Jurugi. When Mr. O had me go through it the second time, though, I just did it, no thought at all. And I pulled it off without pausing or correcting myself.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jade here at MT will sympathise intensely with you on that aspect, Windsinger, as will many martial artists I reckon.

Part of the key to training is to get the conscious mind 'out of the way' and get it used to fulfilling it's proper role i.e. deciding strategy rather than micro-managing the body.

I've used before the analogy that the mind is the General and the body is the Army. The General gives the order and the Army obeys whilst the General considers the next order. If the General gets involved in managing every soldier in his task then soon you have confusion with the Army in disarray.

OP
Windsinger

Windsinger

Green Belt
Reaction score
Awesome analogy, Sukerkin! It's true. Kind of reminds me of my league bowling days. I'm not the greatest bowler by any stretch of the imagination. My team mates and I used to joke about my "Zen Bowling", because any time I got a strike, I was paying no attention at all to what I was doing. I would get ready to throw, and the next thing I knew, pins were flying everywhere. Unfortunately, the next time I went up, I would be trying to remember what I did, and... Well... You can imagine how well that worked out. :)

Side note: (Again about my son. :D) Junior bowls (5 pin, instead of 10 pin like Daddy), and we were talking about how to get him to throw straighter. I suggested to him that he should try and finish off in a walking stance, like in TKD. He did that, and got three strikes in a row (a turkey, for you bowlers out there). Interesting how physical activities can overlap in unexpected ways, isn't it.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I do well up until the test starts, then I start watching other students and for whatever reason I start to get nervous with pre-test jitters/ butterflies in the stomach. Once I get through the first part of the test my mind settles down and I'm good to go.

If you take a couple of deep breaths (in through the nose out through the mouth) you'll find it helps to clear your mind.

And as was previously mentioned the army feeds off the general - a calm leader makes for a well disiplined army.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Windsinger,

My first test for 9th yellow in college... my right leg was shaking! Hey man, anyone that does not get nevious just dosn't understand what is happening!

But I got over mine sometime after hitting 1st dan. How? Took up scuba diving, tournaments, and jumped out of airplanes (and no tandum jumps!!!)

I'm not saying the test isn't a big deal. It is, but I finaly realized I would not die on the dojo floor.

Oh, and my last martial arts test? It was a pop test. They could not contact me for my 5th dan (I had been out on vacation.) When I went to the dojo.... I walked in on it. The others knew and were ready. I went ahead and accepted (that's just me, I don't recommend it for everyone.)

At least I didn't loose over it!

Deaf

Bret Hinds

Green Belt
Reaction score
Part of testing is learning self control, it sounds like you are learning control. good job! all the best to you and your son on the next tests.all the best in the arts

OP
Windsinger

Windsinger

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, Bret. And everyone else, too. There are reasons I keep coming back to this forum, and everyone of you is one of those reason. :D

minivanninja

White Belt
Reaction score
Oh goodness, I get nervous at every test. I just tested for brown belt on Saturday and even though I knew everything backward and forward my mind kept trying to get in my way. Even to the point where I blanked out practicing my poomsae and had a moment of blind panic until I reminded myself that I KNOW this stuff.

I just kept taking deep breaths and visualizing my performance. As I progress I'm starting to realize that the nervousness is a habit. Almost like I'm nervous because for some reason I think I should be. Knowing that you know your stuff helps too. I was able to kind of talk myself down from the anxiety ledge by reminding myself that I know I can do it.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice post, minivanninja.

Welcome to MartialTalk by the way - if you'd like to stroll over to the Meet & Greet thread you'll be able to post up a little thumbnail-word-sketch of yourself and give everyone the chance to say "Hi!" :D.

OP
Windsinger

Windsinger

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, a good news, bad news day. Good news: I got my yellow stripes, and Mr. O think I can have my yellow belt by the end of summer/early fall.

Unfortunately, my son didn't get his yellow belt. This time. Mr. O Has said he'll test him again in 2 weeks, so he has that time to work on what he needs to fix up. I'm sure he can do it. He's a bright kid, and, in all fairness, he was under the weather when he did his testing.

I'm sure he'll be fine the next time. :)

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
better a failed test than an undeserved belt.

if nothing else, you now know that you have an honest instructor.

OP
Windsinger

Windsinger

Green Belt
Reaction score
Exactly. I'm usually pretty good at reading people, and Mr. O has struck me as someone with integrity from day 1. He doesn't BS the students. If he thinks you have something you need to work on, he'll tell you.

One girl tested for her green belt on the weekend. There was one thing on her test that Mr. O thinks is vital for a green belt to know, so they made a deal: after one week, she shows him that she can do whatever it is properly (I didn't quite hear what the technique was), or she goes back to a green stripe. She had no problems agreeing to that stipulation. I've seen her practise, and I don't think she'll be returning that belt at the end of the week.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In addition to integrity, a good instructor inspires students to improve - it sounds like Mr. O has both, which is a great combination! Congratulations on your promotion, and I'm sure your son will work hard to earn his.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
better a failed test than an undeserved belt.

if nothing else, you now know that you have an honest instructor.

More importantly, it keeps oneself honest! Cause then you know you rate it and you really can do what that rank indicates you can do.

Nothing worse than seeing a black belt that's pathetic. And I've seen plenty of those.

Deaf

Latest Discussions