KIA!!!/KIHAP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo89

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It's not so much a TKD question, I know in American karate and in kukkiwon style taekwondo, we yell sometimes when we punch/kick.

How do you prefer to yell?

I pronounce it like Kia-eh/ay when I yell it out.

How about you? Or do you stay silent?

Mattattack

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Mine varies from yelling "SAAAAYY," to "SOOUUP!", to "AAAAYYYY!" like a murderous version of the Fonze.

That's not a joke, even though it is funny.

My first teacher was really loud so I picked some of that up. We were told that our kiai should be so loud that it drowns out the kiai of the person next to us.

thanson02

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My Ki-Hap has changed over the years. At one point, it was "huzza!" which got me in trouble quite a bit, especially during testing because my Instructors kept wanting to laugh.

Now it is more like a lion's roar.... [emoji12]

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Ademadis

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm an eclectic mix of 'Ha', 'Tor' and 'Sai'. I don't think there's any pattern to it. Maybe there should be. 0.o

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pronounce it like Kia-eh/ay when I yell it out

If you are actually using the word then you may as well do it in English because what you are shouting is 'Shout' which is really rather silly.
There are a number of reasons why one kiais or kihaps, it's not just to sound silly. it's not just to be loud either.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The only time I yell out is when some git blocks my kick with his elbow then I'm yelling very loud lol

Mattattack

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have sometimes told my students to try yelling "HELP!" so they more clearly look like the defender as they are knocking an attacker's teeth in. People don't want to jump in on a fight as opposed to an attack. Police often don't respond to reports of fights (EX: between two belligerent drunks down the block from the bar) since everyone is gone by the time they get there, but an attack is different (I would hope)

It's an idea

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's not so much a TKD question, I know in American karate and in kukkiwon style taekwondo, we yell sometimes when we punch/kick.

How do you prefer to yell?

I pronounce it like Kia-eh/ay when I yell it out.

How about you? Or do you stay silent?
Curious as to why you say Kia as a kia?
That would be saying loudly 'Yell" as a yell or 'Shout' as a shout.

OP
L

Leo89

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Curious as to why you say Kia as a kia?
That would be saying loudly 'Yell" as a yell or 'Shout' as a shout.
It's what I was taught, I don't really care if it sounds silly or if it's a word for yell, in the end it's a loud sound. :p

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
In classical Japanese bujutsu, there are 3 kiai that are used:

Aayy, Yah, Tou

Each for a different reason.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious as to why you say Kia as a kia

Kia is a make of car.

It's what I was taught, I don't really care if it sounds silly or if it's a word for yell, in the end it's a loud sound

You should care, for a couple of reasons, if all you think is that a kiai is a loud noise then you are using it incorrectly which means you are cheating yourself of it's usefulness. It's more than sounding silly, it's sounding incompetent, which of course you are if you don't use a tool correctly. Would you use a hammer to saw a piece of wood, your foot to do an elbow strike? if not why use a kiai as just 'a loud noise'.

Mattattack

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As long as it's loud, its timed with action, its instinctual, and it's coming from the gut instead of from the throat I think it's doing its job.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as it's loud, its timed with action, its instinctual, and it's coming from the gut instead of from the throat I think it's doing its job.

I agree, but when used like that it's more than just a loud noise though isn't it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions