Super important... the Kiaiii/Kiapppp

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's funny how my student look at me when I ask them you yell louder, most of the times the only yell kihap kiai that is heard in the dojang it's mine. This folks don't understand the yelling is super important, it can give us that extra we ned to finish a tech or an exercise and even to help us to give us the strenght to endure the final moments of the training.

Before my class 7the one I teach) starts my sambonim ask me to joing his last class to do crunches, sometimes I felt uneasy, but never mind I wento toflorr and did the crunches, some night I discver that yelling during the crunches gives me the 10% extra I need to complete the sets of crunches and in some manner revitalices me to keep going and change my mood.

I am one of people who likes to yell loud when teaching trying to motivate the students, yelling gives such liveration that really helps.

Manny

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
The 3 things drilled into us for grading are BIG shout, see straight and best effort. Nothing looks worse than someone performing a form or a timber break and doing a half hearted shout.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The most vital thing to remember about kiai is that it ensures proper breathing.

If you expend your breath in a strong kiai on execution of a technique, one thing that is an absolute given is that your body will inhale by autonomic reflex, fueling your muscles with oxygen for the next technique :D.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My instructor used to tell the kids "we yell, we don't scream! Scream is when you are scared, yelling is to scare the other guy"

Of course you can always to a Sgt. Carter: "I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!"
(Gomer Pile USMC, 1960s TV show)

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've posted this once or twice before, so here it is again:

Kiai/Kihap.

Kiai is often translated as "Spirit(ed) Shout", but the literal translation of the characters is "Energy" (ki) "Harmony" (ai). These are the same characters as in aiki(do or jutsu), just in the opposite order, so the idea is kind of the opposite from aikido. In aikido, as I understand it, the characters read "Harmony Energy", giving the inference of harmonizing with the energy of the situation, the attack, the opponent, or some other such concept. Kiai, on the other hand, reads "Energy Harmony", and that gives the idea of harmonizing your energy (or intention) together with your actions to create an effect on the outside environment, be it a person, situation, or something else entirely.

This kiai is more a concept of directed intention, rather than just a noise made for show. Of course, it is a very good way, as mentioned, to develop proper habits in breathing when striking as well, and to that end, there are a number of different physical (verbalised) kiai taught. In general terms, there are two main types of kiai, offensive (ending in a vowel - Yah, Doh, Ei etc), and defensive (ending in a constanent - Hut, Hup, Ei-Yush etc). The offensive kiai end in a vowel, as that allows the breath to leave the body, allowing the transferance of energy freely without the inhibition that comes form tensed muscles. The defensive kiai do the opposite, ending in a constanent specifically to hold the breath in and strengthen (re-inforce) the body to aid blocking and recieving manouvres. For the record, though, kiai can be used in a number of other ways, such as fakes, but I'm not adressing that here.

Specific traditional schools sometimes have associated kiai specific to them; for instance, Gyokko Ryu has Yah, and Doh (with the breath held in for defensive use), Takagi Yoshin Ryu has Ei and Ei-Yush, but it's not really focused on. We tend more to explore the concepts and allow students to express their spirit as they feel it... although this usually is an offer taken by the more experienced.

One last thing on kiai: the physical (verbal) aspect is just one expression. There are also silent kiai, and what are known as "shadow kiai". The important thing is your reason (intention) behind the kiai. But when verbalising, make sure the sound is generated from your diaphragm, not your throat. If you have a sore throat afterwards, look to how you're doing it.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Chinese systems also have breath related sounds, but they usually aren't loud...more related to the silent kiai type thing.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One comment on the "silent kiai"... if they can't do a decent verbal kiai, they almost certainly can't do a silent one.

I'm a big fan of training the kiai as well Manny, and it's amazing how few students get it. Instead, they let their insecurities show through half-hearted, weak kiai (if they make a noise at all).

It is all about breath control, and about focus and kime; kiai is one component of this. And yes, if done right, it can cause a really nice freeze in your opponent that you can take advantage of.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
One comment on the "silent kiai"... if they can't do a decent verbal kiai, they almost certainly can't do a silent one.

I'm a big fan of training the kiai as well Manny, and it's amazing how few students get it. Instead, they let their insecurities show through half-hearted, weak kiai (if they make a noise at all).

It is all about breath control, and about focus and kime; kiai is one component of this. And yes, if done right, it can cause a really nice freeze in your opponent that you can take advantage of.

Indeed!
an energetic shout can cause what seems to be physical harm.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Even more important is to please teach your students to not shout 'kiai' or 'kihap' as their kiai or kihap. :soapbox:

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Personally I have never found the shouting very helpful but it is a part of the martial art and therefore is something that needs to be done. As for encouraging people to do it that is a little more difficult because a lot of the time it is because they are nervous or shy at shouting out when nobody else does.

One way to try and encourage people is to start grading them on it. If someone does a kick and it has the wrong technique what do you do? You correct them and have them try again. Well, not shouting is an incorrect technique and must be treated as such. Let them know that when they are tested one of the things they need to do to pass rank is to give a proper kihap with every technique. If you show them that it is important for advancement then they will do it properly.

One extra point, some of us have stutters and making a short sharp sound is difficult at the best of times. We have a way round it so if you here "nai" instead of "ai" then that is why :)

Latest Discussions