Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

J Ellis

Green Belt
Reaction score
Is it just me, or does their seem to be a general absence of stance changes and timing in the clip of Mr. Mitchell? Some stance changes do show up in the latter third of the video, primarily when executing the technique slowly.

Not trying to criticize. Just an observation. Perhaps I am mistaken?

Joel

Entryteam

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Is it just me... or does Frank Trejo look like he could tear a man limb from limb without any martial arts whatsoever????? I am impressed by his ability to move, and he shows a lot of natural athletic ability.

good clips.

Came across these clips that Sean Kelley posted on FB. I hadn't seen them before, thought they were pretty cool, and wanted to post them here. Enjoy! :)

Frank Trejo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiFMlk3DjD8&feature=player_embedded

Jim Mitchell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkMIpx8V-eE&feature=player_embedded

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
Is it just me... or does Frank Trejo look like he could tear a man limb from limb without any martial arts whatsoever????? I am impressed by his ability to move, and he shows a lot of natural athletic ability.

good clips.

The man can really fight, no doubt. His point at the very end about skipping the full forward bow, neutral bow, reverse bow... and simply applying the general principle view bent knees, shifting feet for power and more mobility was great.

Here is another clip of him that I like... especially since we have that Kenpo and boxing thread going on.

Last edited by a moderator:

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hi folks!
The frank Trejo clip was taken at Doreen [Direnzo]Cogliandro's Revere Karate Academy @ 344 Broadway in Revere MA. From the back of the school is Doreen,David Lombardi,Myself,Ricardo,...I can't remember everyone,Lance Soares,I'll have to watch it again but I was there and he demonstrated on me as well! Always an honor to work w/ Mr. Trejo!
I know Mr. Kelley wasn't at that event.
Thanks for listing it here!
BEGOOD,
KENPOJOE

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hi folks!
The frank Trejo clip was taken at Doreen [Direnzo]Cogliandro's Revere Karate Academy @ 344 Broadway in Revere MA. From the back of the school is Doreen,David Lombardi,Myself,Ricardo,...I can't remember everyone,Lance Soares,I'll have to watch it again but I was there and he demonstrated on me as well! Always an honor to work w/ Mr. Trejo!
I know Mr. Kelley wasn't at that event.
Thanks for listing it here!
BEGOOD,
KENPOJOE
and Dave Staples of Worchester is next to ricado!

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is it just me, or does their seem to be a general absence of stance changes and timing in the clip of Mr. Mitchell? Some stance changes do show up in the latter third of the video, primarily when executing the technique slowly.

Not trying to criticize. Just an observation. Perhaps I am mistaken?

Joel

Jim Mitchell had atrocious stances. When he modeled for Infinite Insights, Mr. Parker took one look at the finished copy and said, "This is going to have to be redone." Kenpo in general, and not just Jim, is notorious for ignoring stances in favor of flailing limbs. There is more than one so-called "master" who refuse to mover their feet and legs, but then the students he hits don't move their's either making it easy.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh yeah, cause when you're a 5th degree and have bad stances, they get better on the way to 10th. Yeah, right!

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh yeah, cause when you're a 5th degree and have bad stances, they get better on the way to 10th. Yeah, right!

I know this conversation has been done to death, but what is Mitchell doing with a 5th degree from Mr Parker himself (presumably the certificate was signed by Mr. Parker on the instructor line) when his basics are so bad?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know this conversation has been done to death, but what is Mitchell doing with a 5th degree from Mr Parker himself (presumably the certificate was signed by Mr. Parker on the instructor line) when his basics are so bad?

This is the business of the art. Pull up a hundred vids from YouTube, and tell me how many have good solid stances and transitions when they execute. It's all flailing hands as fast as you can, and ignore the guy you're supposed to be fighting. Jim came to Mr. Parker as a 4th from Tracy's. Jim was helping Mr. Parker with Infinite Insights and with an exploration of the commercial arts and what it had become, (thus the video), so Mr. Parker bumped him to 5th.

Most of us had jobs, and most of us appeared only briefly in the early volumes dominated by Jim's modeling of stances and postures. We got more prominent in the later volumes when Mr. Parker kicked Jim off the project because he was so bad, (and for other personal reasons).

I stopped sitting on testing boards because the art was circling the drain, and standards were going lower and lower. Business dictated the art and it was out of control.

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jim came to Mr. Parker as a 4th from Tracy's. Jim was helping Mr. Parker with Infinite Insights and with an exploration of the commercial arts and what it had become, (thus the video), so Mr. Parker bumped him to 5th.

Um, interesting! I was of the impression that Mitchell was with Mr. Parker for years. I hade no idea he was a Tracy black belt.

Xael

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Jim Mitchell "popped up" and was around for about 16/18 months.

Is this the same Jim Mitchell that was teaching Kenpo in Misouri? If so, I know he started implementing the Joe Lewis footwork at some point. I do not know if it became part of the ciriculum or if it was for a few students, but the Joe Lewis stuff made the traditional kenpo footwork seem like childs play. Mind you I did not get this from Jim directly, but a friend of his, and he moved extremely well.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is this the same Jim Mitchell that was teaching Kenpo in Misouri? If so, I know he started implementing the Joe Lewis footwork at some point. I do not know if it became part of the ciriculum or if it was for a few students, but the Joe Lewis stuff made the traditional kenpo footwork seem like childs play. Mind you I did not get this from Jim directly, but a friend of his, and he moved extremely well.
I understand that he doesnt move the same way he did before, as well.
Sean

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
Someone will have to enlighten me on this "Joe Lewis" footwork vs "Traditional Kenpo Footwork"...

Xael

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Actually I made a mistake. It was Jim Dixon, not Jim Mitchell. I do not know about this Jim Mitchell dude.

Someone will have to enlighten me on this "Joe Lewis" footwork vs "Traditional Kenpo Footwork"...
The Lewis footwork is primarily what he developed alongside Bruce Lee and used in the ring as well as outside the ring. It is comprised of methods of delivery to bridging the gap (something Lewis is a master of), like stagger steps, angular attacks, deceptive penetration, broken rhythm and set point control. Most of it was tactical footwork on how to "get off" before your opponent. It is some really amazing stuff I must say.

In fact there is the possibility he might have been doing these things before he came into contact with Lee. Though there is no way to really prove it.