Kenpo Clips

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually I made a mistake. It was Jim Dixon, not Jim Mitchell. I do not know about this Jim Mitchell dude.

The Lewis footwork is primarily what he developed alongside Bruce Lee and used in the ring as well as outside the ring. It is comprised of methods of delivery to bridging the gap (something Lewis is a master of), like stagger steps, angular attacks, deceptive penetration, broken rhythm and set point control. Most of it was tactical footwork on how to "get off" before your opponent. It is some really amazing stuff I must say.

In fact there is the possibility he might have been doing these things before he came into contact with Lee. Though there is no way to really prove it.

Interesting. Is there any reference material or videos demonstrating some of this? I am curious as to how it is different from what I have been taught in Kenpo.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Is there any reference material or videos demonstrating some of this? I am curious as to how it is different from what I have been taught in Kenpo.

Lewis has or had an entire line of vids on sparring strategies, and from what I recall, the footwork peice was pretty good. Certainly not revolutionary in this day and age, but very good. I don't know if it was his influence on the Tracy Kenpo fighting method (he was the director of the national fighting team for a couple of years) or simply co-evolution, but I already had been exposed to much of what he did.

edit:
http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Lewis-Footwork-D/dp/B0007UZN32/ref=pd_bxgy_d_text_c

And look, that is a pic of him fighting in a Tracy Kenpo sparring gi top. Damn its ugly. :D

Xael

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Lewis has or had an entire line of vids on sparring strategies, and from what I recall, the footwork peice was pretty good. Certainly not revolutionary in this day and age, but very good. I don't know if it was his influence on the Tracy Kenpo fighting method (he was the director of the national fighting team for a couple of years) or simply co-evolution, but I already had been exposed to much of what he did.

edit:
http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Lewis-Footwork-D/dp/B0007UZN32/ref=pd_bxgy_d_text_c

And look, that is a pic of him fighting in a Tracy Kenpo sparring gi top. Damn its ugly. :D

Yes Lewis did some footwork with the Tracy school. That video you linked is much older than the other set. The other set has a lot of really good stuff on it. After seeing much of the "professional" fighters... I would say his footwork is light years ahead of theirs lol.

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes Lewis did some footwork with the Tracy school. That video you linked is much older than the other set. The other set has a lot of really good stuff on it. After seeing much of the "professional" fighters... I would say his footwork is light years ahead of theirs lol.

Are you referring to this one? It's the only other footwork vid I could find..

http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Lewis-How...=sr_1_12?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1285207530&sr=1-12

I'm quite curious as to the differences or modification to "Kenpo footwork" by Lewis or Benny or whoever. Maybe it isn't different from what I have been exposed to at all but I'm curious.

Xael

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Are you referring to this one? It's the only other footwork vid I could find..

http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Lewis-How...=sr_1_12?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1285207530&sr=1-12

I'm quite curious as to the differences or modification to "Kenpo footwork" by Lewis or Benny or whoever. Maybe it isn't different from what I have been exposed to at all but I'm curious.

I dont know if that was one of them or not. I know in some he had a blue gi, in others a mix of blue and white. It was a series actually. Something like 10 tapes, maybe more, all devoted to footwork. It was pretty bad ***.

It was not a modification to Kenpo footwork so to speak. He was addressing all arts really, and saying "You do this, like this..." etc. I know a few Kenpo guys got a hold of them and decided to implement them, like Jim Dixon and a few others I cannot remember. I heard he worked with the Tracy schools, but this might be back before the videos were made. No idea really. I just remember what I saw and i was blown away. It really changed my fighting ability for the better.

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would agree that the footwork is a little loose! but, as a consideration would this fall under Mr. Parker's concept of "tailoring" ? I would expect a little lossening of the stances if done at 100% speed and power but not at the demonstration speed in the clip. I am not saying I know anything about AK, but my observations as a Kempo instructor and being around AK guys for years!

my humble and ignorant .02 cents

chris

Latest Discussions