Kenpo and MMA

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks man. You should check out more clips by both those guys. Both are examples of talent meaning way more than style. Oh, and I just love seeing someone dropping back in a traditional stance then laying into someone.

Yes, those clips were definately a great find!! I saw the one with Lyoto and Rich Franklin!! Awesome knee shot!!

See, IMO, this just goes to show that even someone with a traditional background, but has some grappling experience, can still pull off the win!!:ultracool

Mike

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just proves that MMA is not only the realm of the Muay Thai/BJJ/Wrestling/Boxing guys.

Too bad Lyoto does not have his own personal web site (that I can find) because he's tough to keep tabs on being in both Japan and Brazil all the time.

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo could work if the practitioner worked it and trained in it with aliveness in mind (full speed, full contact, and full resistance). Few schools train this way in Kenpo, Karate, TKD, or most schools in America for that matter. MMA follows much of the training methods of boxing and BJJ, because they work. Students spend hours on battle testing everything in BJJ, instead of dissecting each move intellectually like in most traditional arts. I have studied both Kenpo and BJJ, and I will say learning the training methods of BJJ have helped me develop the concepts I learned in Kenpo further.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody that trained with eye pokes in sparring would have a class that looked like a bunch of pirates after a short time.

It's impossible to safely train exactly "as you fight", there is however different methods of making a dangerous activity into something that can be trained a few times a week and keep you healthy.

Some people do spar with those techniques, either by simulating or wearing protection (safety googles). MMA does owe its existance to No rules fights where those things where allowed. But I suspect they are in the minority at this time.
Now whether pulling techniques but allowing everything in technique lines, or restricting techniques but doing them in hard sparring is better for self-defence is another discussion. Might even be a different answer for different people.

Oh I agree. If we poked eyes, kicked the groin, etc., we'd be running out of training partners real fast. :) But, like anything, its all how you train it. The same applies to armlocks and chokes, as I don't think that when we train those, we go all out either. :)

Latest Discussions