What Type Of Grappling...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
did Mr. Parker teach? Yes, I know...the subject of ground work again. :) I know this subject has been brought up many times, but I can't seem to recall if a clear cut explaination has ever been given.

People say that its in there. Well, thats fine, so in that case...what did he teach? I saw a clip of GM Mike Pick teaching a seminar. During one segment he stated that Mr. Parker did teach ground fighting.

Was this like you see in MMA today? Is it more street effective?

Curious minds want to know. :)

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
The grappling was more of the "vertical grappling"...akin to japanese jujutsu, found inserted into the techniques. Lots of Danzan ryu infused into kenpo....you can go through a black belt level lock flow sequence with a DZR guy, and not see anything that isn't somewhere in the kenpo cirriculum either as something we do to him in the course of a technique, or something we have a defense against. Difference is, we get a cursory view of it, while they make an isolated and detailed study of it. So they actually "know" they know it, and don't hafta go looking.

Important difference here is a distinction between "ground-grappling" and "ground-fighting". 30+ years ago, kenpo class warm-ups and basics drills included 1/2 -to 1 hour a night of basics training and drills; these included kicks and strikes from various kneeling and squatting positions, so if you found yourself down there or on your way down there, you could easily orient yourself to available and usable natural weapons. More akin to the ground and pound than submission wrestling/BJJ.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
According to my instructor, in the 50s and 60s Mr. Parker did teach a lot of falling and rolling and kicking from downed positions, as Dave mentions. It was a regular part of the warmup and training, and they did a lot of it. We still do the groundwork, but it's definitely not designed to stick around and try to win the submission. Instead, it's designed to break away and get back up to either continue the fight from there, or else simply get away. My instructor says this is the same as it was done when he studied under the Tracys in the early 1960s, and was how the Tracys learned it under Mr. Parker.

MeatWad2

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've heard that in Shorinji Kempo they do falling and rolling as a warm-up. Has anyone else heard about this?

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've heard that in Shorinji Kempo they do falling and rolling as a warm-up. Has anyone else heard about this?

I played i the Shorinji sand pile for a bit. Yes, they do lots of stuff warming up. Shoirinji might be best described as aikijujutsu, blended with karate and boxing. So their grappling is a lot fo the wrist-twist stuff you might expect to see done by men in skirts, interspersed with punches to the head, kicks, etc.

D.

Latest Discussions