Kenpo, and Krav Maga

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Robbo

Okay, got do some reading on the net about Krav Maga. Nowhere does it credit Kenpo as a influence in the system. Now, I'm not that naive to believe that sound fighting princepals can't exist in two fighting systems but it sounds as if you are saying that KV was influenced by Ed Parker's Kenpo. From what I've read it was well along before Ed Parker came on the scene, especially in Europe. Now in recent refinements to Krav Maga they may have looked around and said "hey that's cool" we'll use that. But it seems to me that it is a stand alone system and doesn't owe Kenpo anything. Just because Mr. Parker didn't make it or influence it doesn't make it a bad thing.

As always correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks,
Rob

Interesting fighters the Israelis... My wife knows a woman, who was, many years ago, a member of the IDF. She was jumped by four Arabs, and took them all out hand to hand.... Got to be someting to it. Just imgagine the civilian version is watered down.

There is also an Israeli self defense art, the Hebrew name escapes me at the moment, but it's name in Hebrew means, "Survive". It's pretty rough and tumble too.

Dan

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rainman
A CREDIT TO BEING JUST PLAIN GOOD STUFF
Are you pontificating that!? :miffer: :rpo:
:asian:

Chad,

If in fact they (Krav Maga) have read Mr. Parker's works and have decided to use it, that is a credit to Ed Parker's Genius!!

I'm in no way acting pompous - I don't see how you get that?

:confused:

OP
K

Kirk

Little bit of weird trivia here ... Dr. Ruth Westheimer was a
sniper for the Isreali Army.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

Chad,

If in fact they (Krav Maga) have read Mr. Parker's works and have decided to use it, that is a credit to Ed Parker's Genius!!

I'm in no way acting pompous - I don't see how you get that?

:confused:

Not pompous Dennis! Pontiff! You have to go around spouting Papal Bull or some-such.

Take care,

Saintly Uncle Dan:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

OP
R

Rainman

GD7,

They actually adimitted to it? I have been to thier forums and while they do not nay say AK the KV people do say AK is very complicated.

Got you good didn't I?:rofl:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But not you have to go to their site and explain the difference between complicated and sophisticated!!

Kenpo is sophisticated to those in the know..

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Even Moses had problems explaining things to them. :) Jesus still had to come down and give examples to the warnings that Moses laid down.

History may have to be repeated here..... :rofl:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A great friend of mine is on the National Board of Directors for Krav Maga. He is a great proponent of Krav as an ex-secret service guy. (I have seen the pictures when he was on the presidential detail and guarding the Pope. Very cool stuff.)

He got me interested in Krav ... but it seems very simplistic compared to Kenpo. Some really good basic self-defense, practiced very hard and effectively. Similar to some of the other systems that are popular now and taking the place of Brazilian rollin' around ... which I also like and think is great fun. The SPEAR system and RAD systems which also focus on a simple hard defense - followed by elbows, finger, knees etc. to vital targets. Good stuff for what it is, and extremely marketable right now.

The National Association is holding the reins very tight right now. I think they watched Tae-Bo and Aero-Kickboxing etc. and learned from the problems marketing those, i.e. they got out of the owner's hands.

Kenpo is a complete system, logical, effective, with simple, critical thinking in terms of attack-response scenerios ... not to mention the Kenpo Fantasy that the guy is still standing up after the first few strikes, stick with what you are doing. American Kenpo has it all, and what it doesn't, can still be acquired and absorbed if you are interested in doing it. Personally, I just don't have enough years left to learn all I want to about Kenpo. Been AT it since 1979 and still have loads to learn.

Peace Yall,
-Michael B.
UKS-Texas

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... and believe me these guys are. It is very much a business to them, with franchises and all the problems this causes. They are sure they have the best "product" out there. I just smile and think about breaking their knees... not really. Although this guy is a good friend, we seldom talk about martial arts over an hour at a time every time we see each other. And it has really cut down lately.

Michael

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

Even Moses had problems explaining things to them. :) Jesus still had to come down and give examples to the warnings that Moses laid down.

History may have to be repeated here..... :rofl:

Yes but God has a way of getting even with people that pick on the "Chosen" so tread lightly:D

OP
M

meni

Originally posted by Seig

Yes but God has a way of getting even with people that pick on the "Chosen" so tread lightly:D

you bet!

OP
M

meni

Originally posted by Sigung86

Interesting fighters the Israelis... My wife knows a woman, who was, many years ago, a member of the IDF. She was jumped by four Arabs, and took them all out hand to hand.... Got to be someting to it. Just imgagine the civilian version is watered down.

There is also an Israeli self defense art, the Hebrew name escapes me at the moment, but it's name in Hebrew means, "Survive". It's pretty rough and tumble too.

Dan

in hebrew=Hiesardut.

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I wonder if we could offer a stripped down version of Kenpo for the crash weekend course....call it Kenpo Light.

:rofl:

Rob

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Robbo

I wonder if we could offer a stripped down version of Kenpo for the crash weekend course....call it Kenpo Light.

:rofl:

Rob

Hi Rob,

Actually, I taught a good basic self defense course for folks that don't want a black belt in about 4 hours. It's was pretty good as something to give to women and folks like school teachers. No ... It turned no one into Bruce Lee, but did give some edge to their view of their surroundings and the requirements to survive.

And thanks to Meni for reminding me of what I had forgotten.

Dan

Latest Discussions