Think karate is hard? Try it with no legs.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess I lost any and all reason I ever have to complain!

http://www.kxly.com/news/29275457/detail.html

SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. -- The simple act of walking, jumping or going up and down stairs is something many take for granted. For one local 8-year-old it's more difficult than you can imagine, but that's about to change.

Mikey Lucas is just like every other kid in his Karate class. He punches, he yells, he even kicks. The only difference is he doesn't have any legs.

Warhorse Martial Arts instructor Kevin Piper says, "If you looked at his face you would never know he has so many difficulties doing everything that people take for granted."

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Holy ****.

I mean, if he ever gets Prosthetic Legs when he stops Growing it wont be as bad, but...
Wow.

That is Seriously Impressive!

Razor

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've heard that there was a student at my dojo a few years ago who was missing a hand. Apparently he got on okay and our instructor was fine with teaching him. Must be a lot more difficult without legs though.

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've seen a person practice Kendo with no legs. I've also seen a girl with no arms practice Karate.

NSRTKD

Green Belt
Reaction score
I haven't seen first-hand, anyone physically disabled to this degree perform martial arts. It's inspiring, and makes me thankful for what I have. I have seen many people with mental disabilities (autism, brain injuries, etc) become great martial artists though, and I find it inspiring as well.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Due to the Afghan war we've had many injured soldiers, many have lost limbs some are triple amputees but what they are doing is amazing, walking to the North Pole, playing rugby, horse riding, running marathons etc. Stories are appearing every day of new feats of endurance and bravery by these wonderful people. It's having a trickle down effect too, a little girl here who lost her legs when she contracted meningitis has three army heroes who also lost their legs, she now goes about proudly doing sponsored walks for charity through their example.

I hope the fund raising goes well and they raise enough for his new legs, he's an inspiration to us all.

Latest Discussions