Karate Instructor Performs "Citizen's Arrest"

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In this case, I suspect the better choice would have been to simply call the police and file a complaint and let them do their jobs. But what do I know?

http://www.news10.net/news/story.aspx?storyid=72060&catid=2

Roseville Karate Instructor's Taco Bell Takedown, Arrest Raises Eyebrows

ROSEVILLE, CA - Patrons inside a Roseville Taco Bell got much more than they bargained for Thursday night when a karate instructor walked inside and tried to place one of his employees under citizen's arrest.

News10 received an anonymous tip from a viewer that Dave Marinoble, owner of Marinoble's Martial Arts Center, came to the Taco Bell on Foothills Boulevard shortly after 7 p.m. and attacked a 17-year-old boy.

Investigators said the Woodcreek High School student works for Marinoble and Marinoble accused him of stealing money from his business.

"I walked in the front door and I said Riley Lockett, I said you're under arrest for theiving from me, right now, citizen's arrest, right now," Marinoble said.

Roseville police Sgt. Darin DeFreece said Marinoble tracked Lockett to Taco Bell, surveillance camera evidence in hand to put the teen under arrest.

"I wrestled him to the floor, put him on his stomach, handcuffed him, and I said, let's go and the manager said, hey man, take that outside and I said gladly," Marinoble said.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The kid shouldn't have been stealing in the first place.

At the same time, though, performing a citizen's arrest is walking a very narrow balance beam. You don't have any margin of error, and if anything goes wrong, you could be in some serious legal trouble.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
A 'citizen's arrest'? Oh please. I can see it if the crime has just been committed or is being committed, but the dojo operator went looking for the kid at a another location sometime after the fact.

What would that be called? A citizen's investigation? A citizen's stakeout?

Latest Discussions