Karate Actors...

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
William Shatner was an EPAK student, I read somewhere.

ok, I gota ask.. what the hell is EPAK? I remember his "kirk fu" which was the old Applegate fairbairn military hand to hand stuff from the old original Star Trek.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ok, I gota ask.. what the hell is EPAK? I remember his "kirk fu" which was the old Applegate fairbairn military hand to hand stuff from the old original Star Trek.

Ed Parker American Kenpo. There are a number of different Kenpo/Kempo styles, substyles and subsubstyles... EPAK is one of the most prominent ones.

cstanley

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ricky Nelson was a nidan in Shotokan.
James Coburn has dan rank in karate.
Robert Culp was dan rank in Judo.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
James Colburn originally trained with Bruce Lee at his home in Oakland. Later he trained in karate with Dan Ivan I believe. That may be the other way around.
Robert Culp I believe trained with Howard Nishioka in Judo.
John Saxson still trains in Jujitsu. Originally his martial arts training was with Bruce Lee for the Enter the Dragon Movie.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ed Parker American Kenpo. There are a number of different Kenpo/Kempo styles, substyles and subsubstyles... EPAK is one of the most prominent ones.

ok thanks for clearing that up for me. I am fumilure with the parker system as there is an ed parker kempo dojo in the aria. thanks.

jtbdad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Didn't the guy who played Kato in the Green Hornet study some kind of MA? (JK)

I had the opportunity to meet Tom Laughlin and last I heard he is still alive. He's was very softspoken when I met him. Don't like his politics.

Nobody

Green Belt
Reaction score

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-I've always been a fan of Chuck Norris, ever since I saw him in Lone Wolf McQuade, the movie that perked my interest in martial arts and law enforcement. Course, now I study nothing and work security, but thats besides the point. Chuck's acting can be a little atrocious at times but he's always been big about playing a good guy, being a role model. In this day and age, that is sorely lacking. I think the one movie where his acting is most believable is Firewalker with Louis Gossett Jr. In that film he seems totally natural and has fun with the character. Just my opinion.

A--->

cstanley

Blue Belt
Reaction score

I had the opportunity to meet Tom Laughlin and last I heard he is still alive. He's was very softspoken when I met him. Don't like his politics.

Uh, I think that was Bruce Lee.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
Your kidding right. The guy that played kato in the green hornet was Bruce Lee..

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
-I've always been a fan of Chuck Norris, ever since I saw him in Lone Wolf McQuade, the movie that perked my interest in martial arts and law enforcement. Course, now I study nothing and work security, but thats besides the point. Chuck's acting can be a little atrocious at times but he's always been big about playing a good guy, being a role model. In this day and age, that is sorely lacking. I think the one movie where his acting is most believable is Firewalker with Louis Gossett Jr. In that film he seems totally natural and has fun with the character. Just my opinion.

A--->
Don't say that out loud...

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been stated before, but James Caan has been a student of Takiyuki Kobuta for over 30 years and holds a legitimate 5th dan in Gosoku ryu karate.
Charles Bronson also studied karate with Kubota Hanshi.
Gregory Hines studied Shotokan karate with Thomas Lapupett.
Bob Barker trained with Chuck Norris in Tangsoodo and was an active black belt. Not sure if he still does it.
Dolf Lundgrin studies Kyokushinkai karate and is a 4th dan.
Arnold swatzenegger studied Ryobukai/shindojinen ryu and Iaido with kiyoshi Yamazaki.

Nobody

Green Belt
Reaction score
Pat Morita an James Caan an Colburn are good actors, but the rest are so bad at acting it is hard to watch there movies all the way through.
So please excuss my saying there is no martial artist that can act. Pat can act.

Nobody

Green Belt
Reaction score
Not to pick on Sonny Chiba again another martial artist that just was so hard to watch acting it hurt just to see him act.

Latest Discussions