Help Me, Please!

JasonASmith

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello All,
I have just started in Shotokan last week, and I have been shown the movements for the first few kata..
As I have been practicing the movements at home, I have been trying to focus on the concept of Embusen(sp?), or in other words, starting and ending the kata on the same point... It is important to my Sensei(and therefore, me) to get this right...Are there any tips, other than picking a line/s on the floor and following it, that you can give me?
This has been driving me nuts for the past few days; I just can't seem to get back to the same point every time...:rpo: :banghead: :confused:

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mark the spot you start in and try to get to Carigie Hall.

Practice, practice, practice.

Jeff

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Work on your stances. The only way to make any form of pattern end on the same spot it began is to make sure that your stances are all a consistent length - that is, that every time a particular stance appears in a pattern it is the same length and width as every other time.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do some work specifically on your stances. Make a line on the floor, strectch out some belts if you have to, then position one foot on each side of the belt, and do each stance up and back...moving from say (using an EPAK stance as an example) right neutral to left neutral to right neutral to left neutral.

Work with your instructors to determine the proper depth of your stances. Ask them for drills that you can work on to help tone up your footwork. Also ask your instructors for help with your kata. It is not enough simply to point out a problem, your instructors should also offer some guidance as to what specifically you are stumbling with and how you can correct it. You may need to arrange to chat with them a few minutes before or after class so you can get a bit of individual attention.

Stances are the basis of everything. They take time to develop. Work to improve them, but don't be too hard on yourself.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
Practice, practice, practice.

Don't get discouraged.and Don't give up..I was feeling the same way when I studied Shorin-Ryu..It will fall into place..Sorry I can't offer any more help...

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with the others. It is about your stances. If your stances are off slightly then you won't end where you began. It takes a lot of practice. And the more advanced kata that you learn the harder it will be to get it exactly right. The thing about karate is that it is really a life time of work. You are always practicing, and you are always learning about yourself. Just keep at it and it will fall into place.

OP
JasonASmith

JasonASmith

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies, I figured that it would be an experience thing...It DOES seem that the more I do the various kata, the closer I get to ending on the same point...

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The first five Katas follow the letter "I" pattern. (In reality its kind of a "C").. but needed to say, what you will find is that your forward stance will tend to be longer than your back stance.

Try shifting from foward to back without moving your feet, to get it similar.

And as other have said, marking the floor is a great way to measure yourself.

Keep working on it.!!

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The other responses pretty much cover it. But I want to add that I think this is the key phrase in your post:

I have just started in Shotokan last week, [...]

Relax, it has only been a week. Relax, it has only been a week. Don't get discouraged, and keep on practicing. Did I say relax yet? It has only been a week ya know! :)

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Drop a yard stick on the floor or a piece of something and stand where you are equally over it, like it could cut you in half and try that. I used that technique on some of my tae kwon do forms and it helped.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As you practice any kata, whether it's your first Taikyoku all the way to the more advanced ones (Unsu, Suparinpei, Nijushiho, etc), you're going to continually make small adjustments as your body builds up enough of a sense memory. Once your sense memory is built up, then everything else is going to fall in place, provided that your techniques are relatively clean and consistent.

Also, keep in mind that while many kata do start and end up in the same place, this is not necessarily the case for all of them.

OP
JasonASmith

JasonASmith

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have found that Heian Nidan is my Waterloo, so to speak...
All of the other Heian kata that I have been shown/am working on I have been becoming successful in achieving Embusen(or somewhere close), but Nidan is kicking my *** for some reason...I am going to REALLY analyze the hell out of what I am doing(that's what I did with Sandan, with success!) Hopefully I will come up with an answer on my own, rather than taking my problem into class and having Sensei or one of the Yudansha do it for me....

OP
JasonASmith

JasonASmith

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's the Kokutsu dachis on line 3, and the Yoko-geri/Back fist combo on line 1...

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What seems to be the hang up??

Yes, that was my thought...

Have you tried doing the kata in `slow motion'? Not rushing it all, but sort of doing it as a series of separate moves, and maybe getting someone to watch you as you do it? A lot of small left/right side differences, or small difference in the 2nd half as vs. the first, will add up to a noticeable different in your starting and finishing points. If you move slowly through the kata a few times with someone watching, they may be able to spot where these differences are coming in...

OP
JasonASmith

JasonASmith

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've noticed that some of the back stances are longer and deeper than the others...It's my attempt to get closer to where my Sensei is when he performs the kata...I also have noticed that I have trouble with the pivoting from front stances to back stances...Guess that I just have to get it in my head to do the same thing all of the time...

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've noticed that some of the back stances are longer and deeper than the others...It's my attempt to get closer to where my Sensei is when he performs the kata...I also have noticed that I have trouble with the pivoting from front stances to back stances...Guess that I just have to get it in my head to do the same thing all of the time...

Another thing to consider is getting someone to do a camcording of you while you move through the kata. A lot of stuff might come out on video that you don't realize you're doing. But it sounds like you already have some clues to what you should work on to clear up the problem---good luck with it!

OP
JasonASmith

JasonASmith

Black Belt
Reaction score
good luck with it![/quote]

Thank You...
I slowed everything WAY down today during practice, and I started to draw closer to achieving Embusen everytime that I performed the kata, although it's difficult for me to walk now! AHHH!!!! Must make stances deeper!, Must make stances deeper!, Must maintain the same plane throughout the movements!:eek: :erg:

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
good luck with it!

Thank You...
I slowed everything WAY down today during practice, and I started to draw closer to achieving Embusen everytime that I performed the kata, although it's difficult for me to walk now! AHHH!!!! Must make stances deeper!, Must make stances deeper!, Must maintain the same plane throughout the movements!:eek: :erg: [/QUOTE]

This is part of the, um conditioning aspect of the katas that you hear people talking about sometimes. Pretty brutal, those low stances, eh? ;-)

But probably, once it clicks in the lower stances and at the slower performance rate, you'll be able to get back to a more normal stance... I mean, I like low stances---they look so solid and powerful---but the human frame can only endure so much.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
Funakoshi Osensei stated that Deep stances are for novice and shallow stances are for advanced. Not the exact wording. I think that was in the Karatedo Kyohan. Or perhaps I read it in his book.
Karate do my way of life.

Latest Discussions