"Karate - A Life in Training" (A very short documentary I made.)

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm currently taking a first-level film production class at the University of Utah and one of our assignments was to make a short (3 to 5 minute) documentary on a topic of our choice. I wanted to do something martial arts-related and Shotokan Sandan Alun Thomas at the SLC SKA dojo was kind enough to help me out and be my subject.

Questions, comments and constructive criticism are welcome. Just remember it's my first documentary.

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
I thought it was very well done, but I'm wondering if including footage of tournaments/and or testing would have jazzed it up a bit?:) good job!

OP
S

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
I thought it was very well done, but I'm wondering if including footage of tournaments/and or testing would have jazzed it up a bit?:) good job!

Oh, for sure. But this was put together in about three days and it was a rule that I had to shoot all the footage myself. Also, it was kind of a profile of Alun, and he rarely competes (or tests!).

If I had the time and money then I definitely have some grander ideas. But baby steps, I suppose. I'm just barely starting to learn how to do this.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm currently taking a first-level film production class at the University of Utah and one of our assignments was to make a short (3 to 5 minute) documentary on a topic of our choice. I wanted to do something martial arts-related and Shotokan Sandan Alun Thomas at the SLC SKA dojo was kind enough to help me out and be my subject.

Questions, comments and constructive criticism are welcome. Just remember it's my first documentary.

Enjoy!

I really like the short documentary, what realy likes me the most is mature men are practicing a beautiful martial art instead of watching tv and having a soda and chips. I will glady go to that karate class and enjoy and train with such refinate people.

Manny

Last edited by a moderator:

rframe

Green Belt
Reaction score
Very well done, especially for your first project.

OP
S

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
I really like the short documentary, what realy likes me the most is mature men are practicing a beautiful martial art instead of watching tv and having a soda and chips.

Yeah, for sure. Those guys kind of inspire me in a way. It's a reminder that you don't have to let yourself go as you age.

I will glady go to that karate class and enjoy and train with such refinate people.

They're a good group. I'm sure they'd love to have you.

OP
S

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
Very well done, especially for your first project.

Thanks!

Now that I've dipped my toe into the waters a bit I'd like to try something a little bigger and more elaborate and kind of work my way up to something that's feature-length. I have a lot of ideas!

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing with us. I thought the video was quite good. I hope to see more form you in the future. :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That was very well done. You did a fine job.

Chikudun Henryu

White Belt
Reaction score
Wow, this is pretty good for your first time making a documentary! I like your music choice and camera angles.
Good job! I would like to see more like this in the future.

OP
S

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
Very impressing short documentary.

Thanks, man!

Wow, this is pretty good for your first time making a documentary! I like your music choice and camera angles.
Good job!

I appreciate it!

I would like to see more like this in the future.

What I'd REALLY like to do next is make a doc on the American kickboxing scene from the late 70s to early 90s, in the days of the PKA, Bill Wallace, Benny Urquidez, etc. But it might be a bit ambitious at this stage of the game.

Latest Discussions