Just Starting in Kajukenbo

dru123

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
All,

I introduced myself in the Meet & Greet, but I figured it would also be appropriate to introduce myself here as well. I am 30 years old from Shreveport, La. I have previously trained one year in Taekwondo and 6 months in Muay Thai. After almost a 7 year hiatus, I decided to begin training again, and chose Kajukenbo because I felt it was the most well rounded and practical martial art training available in my area (although I think I would still claim that no matter where I live).

I have been to two classes and I love it, especially the Judo and Jujitsu aspects because I have no ground experience and this is one thing I really wanted to learn. I also like how we begin and end with Tai Chi/Chi Gung.

I am training with Bill Ross, who is under the Tony Lasit branch. Here is a link to my school: http://www.geocities.com/williamross77/fiveelementsksdi.html

-Jason

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk. I don't know your instructor, but I know the instructors above him in the lineage. A good strong line of instructors.

OP
dru123

dru123

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks John. I really enjoy your posts here and in the Kajukenbo cafe. I also plan on purchasing your book.

-Jason

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Dru, welcome to MT! I see that we come from the same lineage. I trained with GM Dann Baker who is also under GM Tony Lasit. Unfortunately, I could only train under GM Baker up to blue then I moved to Houston and trained with Sifu Jason Hunt and got to 2nd dan with him. I have been out of training for about 12 years and about 2 years ago I took up kenpo till about 4 months ago where I switched to Northern Praying Mantis Kung Fu. My instructor likes to combine his jiu-jitsu skills with the mantis and let me tell you it is just awesome! Kajukenbo is really great too and I enjoyed it. The praying mantis school is the nearest school to my house. Good luck on your new journey.

krieger

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello! Welcome! I should be starting Kajukenbo here pretty soon...I said I was going to a while ago but have kept putting it off. Hopefully I'll like it as much as you have thus far!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard! :)

How is the training going?

Mike

SifuJason

White Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to Ohana. Keep in touch with how your training is going.

OP
dru123

dru123

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
All,

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I had to go out of town last week for work, and resumed my training yesterday. We did all ground work, which is something I was really looking forward to since I have no previous ground experience. We did some front leg takedowns and then worked alot from the mount and guard. We then did a full contact ground spar (I forget the Japanese word for this) with my instructor to go over what we learned. I ended up putting a heal hook on him and I got him to tap, which is crazy because he didn't show me how to do it and I've only seen it done on TV (UFC and Pride fights). I thought he would be mad that I used it since it wasn't a technique we went over, but he wasn't and said it's allowed in Kajukenbo (what isn't :).

Anyway, he said I did really well for my first time on the ground and he is going to recommend me to the Brazilian Jujitsu instructor (my instructor admits he's not the best jujitsu practitioner but he easily overpowered me being about 3 inches shorter and probably 20 lbs lighter).

I'm loving Kajukenbo!

-Jason