just have to post about a friend i am proud of.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not judging anyone. I don't see why anyone needs martial arts training from 'one of their own kind'. I don't get that.
I suggest you look at it like they wouldn't get the training otherwise. Just as I can't see learning the culture of the martial art's origin just so you can learn to fight or defend yourself, they need to feel they belong, and be with people who truly understand them before they will approach the subject.
Sean

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I suggest you look at it like they wouldn't get the training otherwise. Just as I can't see learning the culture of the martial art's origin just so you can learn to fight or defend yourself, they need to feel they belong, and be with people who truly understand them before they will approach the subject.
Sean

OK, I guess I can get that. Thanks. Consider my objection withdrawn.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's the exact same argument white-supremacists use to defend their desire to form groups to 'protect themselves'. Same argument. It's all us-versus-them.

What statistics? The ones you made up?

And gay people cannot get martial arts training the same place as straight people get it because?

That's my point. Not that people don't need to learn self-defense or should not be allowed to do so. But that this 'gay self-defense' nonsense is yet another divider, another 'us-versus-them' in our society. I don't learn martial arts at a 'straight' dojo. I don't learn at a 'Christian' dojo. I don't learn at a 'male' or a 'white' dojo. I learn at a dojo. I don't see why sexual orientation has anything to do with where one learns martial arts.
Why does his martial arts school need to be all inclusive again?
Sean

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You joke, but all gay martial arts is not a bad thing.
Sean

I'm not joking; your statement made sense and I retract my objection. You're right and I'm wrong. I had not looked at it from the perspective you offered. I was looking at it in a different way; as yet another group saying "we are equal, the same as everybody else, until we want our own exclusive thing, then we're different!" I just didn't understand why a gay person could not simply take martial arts wherever they wanted to, why they needed to be instructed by a gay person. Your explanation made sense.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bill, it does you credit that you can't imagine why a gay person would need to train in a separate group. It sounds as if anyone would be pleased to train with you.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I quite agree, Tez.

Tho' I do also agree with Bill's initial points as I too was going "Is being 'gay' still a big deal these days?" {however, I do have to go on record as objecting to the word itself being co-opted to such an extent that it can't be used for anything else :lol:}.

OP
Josh Oakley

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sukerkin: "I'm in a weird position, because I like rainbows, but I'm not gay. So whenever I go out wearing a rainbow shirt, I have to put "Not gay." But I'm not against gays, so under that I'll have to put "... but supportive." It's weird how one group of people took refracted light. That's pretty greedy, gays." -Demitri Martin

Touch of Death: You put it better than me.

Bill: You still rock my socks.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Much respect to you Bill, in that you don't see differences in people as a reason for them not to train. Also respect in that while you hold firm opinions, you have an open mind.

I have had quite a few friends that were gay and some of those were interested in martial arts. Listening to some of thier experiences of schools/instructors here in Kansas City was heartbreaking. I am glad to hear it isn't as bad everywhere.

Latest Discussions