Just ask question, don't draw conclusion

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sometime you just ask question and let people to draw their own conclusions.

For example, I may ask what the difference between these 2 body postures. Do you think this is good way to start a conversation? Your thought?

Taiji_vertical_posture.jpg

Taiji_forward_posture.jpg

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I prefer to keep my one point.
But people may think that you try to shove your opinion into their throats.

The way I look at this is, I just point out the concern/difference. Whether people like the 1st option, or the 2nd option, they can pick their own option by themselves.

Sometime people may not know the other option exist. If you point out the other option exist, whether they may take it or not should not be your concern.

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I seldom understand what point you're trying to make.
The point is when you (general YOU) start a thread, you want to hear other people's opinions. Your opinion is not important. You don't want to start a thread so you can argue with everybody.

Instead of saying I like 1 and I don't like 2, you can show both 1 and 2. You then ask people which one do they like.

For example,

When you are 80 years old, do you like to be able to move like 1, or do you like to be able to move like 2?

Your thought?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score

For example, I may ask what the difference between these 2 body postures. Do you think this is good way to start a conversation? Your thought?

View attachment 27506

View attachment 27507
Well, you know that whatever conclusion you draw, someone here is going to disagree with you.

Were you hoping that you'd get more "agreements" by not letting people know what you think up-front?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, you know that whatever conclusion you draw, someone here is going to disagree with you.

Were you hoping that you'd get more "agreements" by not letting people know what you think up-front?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Here is the point. When you say that you like 1, For those people who may also like 1, but since those people may not like you, they may say that they like 2 instead.

In other words, you won't get people's true opinions if people think you try to sell your opinion. But if you don't say whether you like 1 or 2, you can collect people's true opinions.

Today's you may not agree with yesterday's you. So disagreement is normal.

Last edited:

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here is the point. When you say that you like 1, For those people who may also like 1, but since those people may not like you, they may say that they like 2 instead.

In other words, you won't get people's true opinions if people think you try to sell your opinion. But if you don't say whether you like 1 or 2, you can collect people's true opinions.

Today's I may not agree with yesterday's I. So disagreement is normal.
Well, I suppose it's a tool. Personally, at the moment, I don't have much faith that this tool will get you the honesty you're hoping for, but whatever floats your boat.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, I suppose it's a tool. Personally, at the moment, I don't have much faith that this tool will get you the honesty you're hoping for, but whatever floats your boat.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I just try to find a way to reduce online argument.

For example,

When someone puts up a personal video, you may respond as, "I don't like to push your opponent away in your video." This kind of comment can upset and discourage people from sharing their personal video.

But if you ask, "What's do you intend to achieve when you push your opponent away?" IMO, that can be more friendly way to start a civil discussion.

In other words, you ask question. You don't draw conclusion.

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
On topic, if the original question is genuinely intended to start a discussion, great. However, things get squirrelly pretty fast if you have an agenda or even if you are perceived as having one.

I've started a few threads, and honestly, it's more trouble than it's worth to me anymore. Sometimes, they go pretty well and generate a lot of good discussion.

Lately, I've been really interested in polling on various things, where the topics are completely disassociated with a person or political party. And it's crazy how, if you sanitize the topic and remove it from a political context, folks will objectively come to different conclusions. For example, a few months back I took language from an actual website related to self defense. When folks didn't know where it came from, the comments were mixed, and the discussion was really healthy and constructive. AS soon as they found out where the language came from, folks retreated to their teams instantly.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
However, things get squirrelly pretty fast if you have an agenda or even if you are perceived as having one.
This is what I have found out lately. If I don't state my opinion, I find many people share the same opinion as I do. The moment that I state my opinion, even people who share the same though may disagree with me.

For example, when I ask, "One day when you are 80, do you want to be able to move like Su Yu-Chang, or do you like to be able to move like Cheng Man-Ching?"

If I say that I prefer to be able to move like

- Su Yu-Chang, people may put anti-Taiji label on me and say that slow movement is better.
- Cheng Man-Ching, people may put anti-Karate label on me and say that fast movement is better.

Last edited:

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Formatting a thread into a more open-ended proposition will illicit more discussion (sometimes wandering in subject, but that's what invites new ideas) than a firm declaration which invites a "With me or against me" response.

Kung Fu Wang's two photos are a bit ambiguous and so invites several avenues of discussion. First, we aren't sure of the purpose of the full technique. They both involve at least one open hand - the first photo the palm is facing down, the second it's towards the opponent. Is one a block and the other a push or strike?

Another thing is the line of posture he illustrated which influences weight distribution. Then there is the line of center of gravity/balance which is different. Both photos seem to have the person centered. All this can lead to different methods of power projection. Other considerations, thoughts and topics open up as well. Then, each can be debated/opined in an intellectual fashion (this may be asking a lot of some people).

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
With that said, I am close to that 80 mark and would prefer to not commit myself as much as in picture number (2). I more likely would prefer posture (1) and make it count and safe at the same time.......

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
One of my teachers frequently states that he could be convinced that nearly anything is acceptable/proper given the right circumstances. The key is understanding the intent of what you are attempting to accomplish. There are obviously general trends and rules to follow, but situations dictate the "correct" answer.

I'm not a CMA practitioner, so I can only look at those postures from my own perspective. posture A. the power looks more "sinking" while posture B looks more "spitting"

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

View attachment 27506

View attachment 27507
I don't know about starting a conversation here, but I always use something similar to get students to think, usually during a brief break in class. As the drilling resumes, I'll incorporate whatever point I was trying to make into the very next drill - or incorporate answers from the students, even if they're not correct so they see/feel that they are not correct.

Seems to work.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I always use something similar to get students to think,
The issue is during online discussion, we can't treat our forum members as students. We also can't treat ourselves as beginners either.

So if you pretend that you

- know the subject, people will think you try to shove your opinion into their throats.
- don't know the subject, people will look down on you.

Sometime, I just have fun to express my opinion. I don't care whether people agree or disagree with me.

Last edited:

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my teachers frequently states that he could be convinced that nearly anything is acceptable/proper given the right circumstances. The key is understanding the intent of what you are attempting to accomplish. There are obviously general trends and rules to follow, but situations dictate the "correct" answer.

I'm not a CMA practitioner, so I can only look at those postures from my own perspective. posture A. the power looks more "sinking" while posture B looks more "spitting"
Yes, my GoJu with Chinese influence uses the term "spit or swallow" with the same results.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The issue is we can't treat our forum members as our students. We also can't treat ourselves as beginners either.
No, of course not, that was not my intent. But your OP's premise is something I've always used. For my students. None of whom would come here, as I told them a long time ago to avoid forums. Which everybody knows are filled with crazy people.

Latest Discussions