Just ask question, don't draw conclusion

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
to avoid forums. Which everybody knows are filled with crazy people.
Agree! It's fun to share information. It's no fun to argue. But sometime people just put label on you (such as anti-Taiji) and there is nothing that you can do about it.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am close to that 80 mark and would prefer to not commit myself as much as in picture number (2). I more likely would prefer posture (1) and make it count and safe at the same time.......
I can only speak for myself. It's 100% all right that if people may disagree with me on this.

- Slow speed training make me to feel old, sick, weak.
- Fast speed training make me to feel young, healthy, strong.

I didn't mind to train slow when I was young. It bothers me a lot to train slow at old age.

Su's clip gives me a good idea that I want to create a form like that. If I can repeat that form 20 times non-stop in fast speed without feeling tired, that will be the form that I'll do daily for the rest of my life.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can only speak for myself. It's 100% all right that if people may disagree with me on this.
What is right for one may not be right for another. If one has trained for many years, they know what is right for them.
Personal choice. Slow speed for me helps me to feel grounding, balance, loading and unloading. Fast speed puts it all together.
I didn't mind to train slow when I was young. It bothers me a lot to train slow at old age.
Me too!
Su's clip gives me a good idea that I want to create a form like that. If I can repeat that form 20 times non-stop in fast speed without feeling tired, that will be the form that I'll do daily for the rest of my life.
It sounds like you have a good plan....

My art has 12 kata. I enjoy taking segments from each kata and incorporate them into my own kata that is right for me...training for many years into old age gives me that right.......

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score

Ah...the old Mantis versus Supreme Polarity Fist existential question!!

Here's my question, why does it have to be one or the other? The Taijitu is not just yin or yang, it combines the dualist and monist aspects to become one fluid whole. So it is with these styles.

There is nothing inherently slow about Chen Tai Chi, and nothing inherently fast about Mantis.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ah...the old Mantis versus Supreme Polarity Fist existential question!!

Here's my question, why does it have to be one or the other? The Taijitu is not just yin or yang, it combines the dualist and monist aspects to become one fluid whole. So it is with these styles.

There is nothing inherently slow about Chen Tai Chi, and nothing inherently fast about Mantis.
The praying mantis form is designed in such a way that the end of the previous move is the beginning of the next move (similar to the Taiji form design). As long as you let your body start to float, it doesn't take much energy to do the form. Also since there are very few jump kicks, it can be suitable for old people if they still enjoy of doing fast speed movement.

One day I met Su Yu-Chang in a CMA tournament in China. I did both of his favor forms, praying mantis Luanjie form and Baji Da Baji form. He said, "You have just stolen my forms". That was many many years ago.

Last edited:

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know about starting a conversation here, but I always use something similar to get students to think, usually during a brief break in class. As the drilling resumes, I'll incorporate whatever point I was trying to make into the very next drill - or incorporate answers from the students, even if they're not correct so they see/feel that they are not correct.

Seems to work.
“Don’t worry if you are right or wrong, you are wrong, now get back to work”. Sifu Paul Gale. Heard that quote plenty of times.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Will you call B anti-Taiji? Your thought?

A: What's your opinion on Taiji.
B: I don't agree with some of the Taiji over conservative attitude.
A: What's that?
B: I don't agree with the following Taiji attitude:

- If you don't move, I won't move.
- Always want to take without giving first.
- Wait for opportunity instead of create opportunity.
- Always remain upper body vertical, and never bend down the head.
- Always remain gravity center within the base.
- Push people away instead of throw people down.
- Push on the chest instead of punch on the head.
- Don't sweat in training.
- "Internal" doesn't use force. External always use brute force.
- "Internal" is high level. External is low level.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kung Fu Wang said:
IMO, the person his upper body
- leans forward has intention to move forward.

...Moving forward? Yes, he looks like he's pushing a truck. Then again, he is not necessarilymoving forward in this photo. He could be in a static position. For example, this posture would work well for holding a door shut when attacked by a mob of zombies.
1636578514923.png

OK, I know, that's actually a shamble of zombies, if you want to be picky. ;)

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Moving forward? Yes, he looks like he's pushing a truck. Then again, he is not necessarilymoving forward in this photo. He could be in a static position. For example, this posture would work well for holding a door shut when attacked by a mob of zombies.
View attachment 27562
In the following clip, you can see how much his body leaning forward to execute his throw.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

- is vertical has no intention to move forward.

Moving forward? Yes, he looks like he's pushing a truck. Then again, he is not necessarily moving forward in this photo. He could be in a static position. For example, this posture would work well for holding a door shut when attacked by a mob of zombies.
View attachment 27562
In the following clip, you can see how much his body leaning forward to execute his throw.

Yes. That breaks the rules of the Wing Chun that I was taught. ....But then again my old sifu often broke his own rules when it suited him.

When it works better, I'm all for breaking the rules! :p

....Besides, you bend at the waist in Biu Tze, right? And, you bend the front knee and press forward in the weapons forms ...and forms are about concepts, not just specific applications ....so it stands to reason that even in traditional WC/WT there is a lot of flexibility (literally and figuratively) at the higher levels. Or there should be!

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes. That breaks the rules of the Wing Chun that I was taught. ....But then again my old sifu often broke his own rules when it suited him.

When it works better, I'm all for breaking the rules! :p

....Besides, you bend at the waist in Biu Tze, right? And, you bend the front knee and press forward in the weapons forms ...and forms are about concepts, not just specific applications ....so it stands to reason that even in traditional WC/WT there is a lot of flexibility (literally and figuratively) at the higher levels. Or there should be!
Yes.

There are no rules in Wing Chun.

How could there be rules in something containing Southern Dragon style????? Dragons don't abide rules.

Latest Discussions