Just a quick question

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What have you done for your Art lately and for what reason did you do it?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Decide to stop...training....reason is...WHY?

To learn to fight is to take art that teaches to fight back? ....not many arts deal with this directly!

Martial arts or learning to fight? ..should not take years to learn...belts today has little meaning...

Bruce Lee learn from his first real lesson ( chinese sent someone to fight him). What was important was to be physcial fit, lots of endurance, strenght training, and doing it everyday was the key...

NO two fights will be the same.....one must learn everything about fighting and to make their body ready at all times.....

(I have lost my feelings on the way martial artist are training) ...the truth is when you face the real streets of fights or survival? ...never the same as class room training.

What can we do? ....tell the truths......Aloha

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What have I done for my art lately?
1. Getting a student ready for 3rd Dan testing
2. Stop in to a friend on mine's class to help his students.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Most importantly, I constantly train to get better and also help those training with me to improve their skill sets.
icon6.gif
I do alot of other things to promote IRT but the above is the most important!

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Teaching regularly, helping to organize special events to take pressure off our lead instructors, researching specialty topics to share with the group, and training consistently.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Duck walked and "leap frogged" enough to make it hard to walk today. Not much, but that's all I have done. The kids should be able to look at me and think, "If that old man can do this, I have to do it also!"

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

To learn to fight is to take art that teaches to fight back? ....not many arts deal with this directly!

Martial arts or learning to fight? ..should not take years to learn...belts today has little meaning...

Bruce Lee learn from his first real lesson ( chinese sent someone to fight him). What was important was to be physcial fit, lots of endurance, strenght training, and doing it everyday was the key...

NO two fights will be the same.....one must learn everything about fighting and to make their body ready at all times.....

(I have lost my feelings on the way martial artist are training) ...the truth is when you face the real streets of fights or survival? ...never the same as class room training.

Umm...did you read the original post here??? The OP is asking what you've done or given back to your art. Your reply really has nothing to do with the original question.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score

So to abswer the question you have done nothing, someday I would love to meet you and maybe you would let me train you for a weekend and then your attitude would change.

Everything about you is about tell the truth so here is a question what arts have you trained and now you find to be not any good? Who has been your instructors? And why is all arts but Judo wrong for everybody?

ALOHA

Kingindian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
try to develop myself through self training
why ?
because im not in any dojo for about 8 years (since i went to univ)

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I spent about half a class drilling my kids on the difference between a pivot and a step the other night. They are now doing much better with their poomse's. :)

It's with littel steps like this that I contribute. I try to build good martial artists up and over itme maybe these drops will ad dup to fill a larger vessel.

Peace,
Erik

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score

To Still Learning...

That's not really doing anything to give back to your art though is it mate? Just to be clear- are you saying that you have quit judo?

Out of curiosity- are you doing any other training now that you have given away your art?

For the actual post....

What have I done for my art? Gone back to my school, and make my main focus Muay Thai. For my school- I'm going to help our trainer when his promotions come around. Hopefully I'll fight for him too....give back to the school....help promote the art in that way!

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I teach. It helps bring the benefits of the martial arts to a new population, and it helps me learn.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
gone out and studied with instructors and GM's of different systems to improve my knowledge of there systems and learn, so tha i can pass on more knowledge to my students

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
What have you done for your Art lately and for what reason did you do it?

Terry

I have read through this post and the answers and I even added a joking comment earlier but I can't quite get this one.

Not meaning to cause a problem but I am not exactly sure why it should matter what I have done for my Art lately. Or why my lack of doing something or the fact I have done something matters at all.

Could be it is a CMA vs. KMA, JMA thing could be I am so Jaded I just don't see it but I do not see where what I have done for my art lately or why or why not I have done anything should matter at all.

And if I did do something why did I do it? To gain notoriety or recognition, or just because I wanted to.

It would seem to me that the reason something is done would be more important than what you have done. Hell a rather popular family in the Taiji world gives out HIGH ranks (ranks in taiji are silly to me but...) if you are a famous person that has done something for them or if yu have done something they think benefits Taiji (actually them).

I would think hard training and being the best at your chosen art that you can be and to be true to your teachers training (within reason) would best represent that would be all one needs to do.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Xue so many people say you must always give back to the community to there students and do nothing thereself. We have an school here that makes students donate time every month but yet the head instructor and all of his assistance do nothing. So my question was to see who preaches and who actually does something to give back. But you are right does it matter no what matters is your training and journey though the Arts.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Xue so many people say you must always give back to the community to there students and do nothing thereself. We have an school here that makes students donate time every month but yet the head instructor and all of his assistance do nothing. So my question was to see who preaches and who actually does something to give back. But you are right does it matter no what matters is your training and journey though the Arts.

Thank You sir, now your question makes sense to me

:asian:

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For the arts I train in I try to learn as much as I can to and learn from my teachers correctly to correctly represent them.
I try to give what little knowledge I have to others so they can explore and compare it with their own art.
Also I try to give back to my teachersby being a good student and not causing a disgrace.
Also everytime I help someone I know it is partial due to learning the arts and because of that I am helping the art when I help someone.

Latest Discussions