Jump kicks.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I got to a point where they are now a part of belt testing.

Aaaaand I get about a few inches off the floor and flail like a fish. I looked up some vertical jump practices and have been doing them, they are helping slowly but they are helping.

Is there any other tips or advice you can give? The jump kicks for the upcoming tests are a front kick into a roundhouse with the other leg.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Squat jumps....squat jumps....squat jumps.

Remember to bring your knees up as high as you can.

Add weight (ankle and/or weighted vest)

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My advice is to not try to bend your knees too much. The height of the jump comes from the push of the feet, not the knees. Focus on pushing straight down with the balls of your feet and toe-point a little as you jump.

Maybe try just a pop-up front kick to start with. Start with your feet together then jump up with both feet and then front kick with 1 foot. This is the hardest part, and once you get it you should be able to add in the roundhouse afterwards.

Last edited:

Prostar

Green Belt
Reaction score
I got to a point where they are now a part of belt testing.

Aaaaand I get about a few inches off the floor and flail like a fish. I looked up some vertical jump practices and have been doing them, they are helping slowly but they are helping.

Is there any other tips or advice you can give? The jump kicks for the upcoming tests are a front kick into a roundhouse with the other leg.
Ok a couple of things to think about.

First, get a partner you can practice with and make a point of doing some kicks together every class. Be sure to critique each other on form. That was how I got good at doing them.

Now the tricky part. Imagine your belt is four inches wide. When you jump you must lift yourself from the belt.Don't worry, your feet and upper body will follow along. I know it sounds odd but it works. Sort of the same thing when doing a front thrust kick...lead with your belt.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Here is our drill. two jump squats forward. Two jump squats high. hop twice forawds hop jump squat. same thing other leg.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
A lot of the same muscles used for jumping also are used for sprinting.

Short sprints (like 15-20 yards) concentrating on exploding out of the sprinter stance can also increase jump height.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
otherwise thet do step by step tutorials for these things all over you tube.

drill the component parts.

20 minutes up and down in a park each morning.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also strengthen your hip flexors so you can bring your knees up fast will help during the kicks.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
otherwise thet do step by step tutorials for these things all over you tube.

drill the component parts.

20 minutes up and down in a park each morning.
ha ha ha... nooooo not that guy. that's the guy guy that's always putting down TKD and other martial arts lol

thanson02

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I will add that what helps me with my kicks is having someone hold a target. I know this is basic, but it is always something to remember and once and a while people space on these types of things. Also, at least for me, when I have someone there in front of me, I have a tendency to push myself a little harder too.

A good way to work Jump Front kicks for example is have your partner hold a kicking shield level with the floor and you have to kick it (making sure you have power with it of course). Then they raise it a bit and you do it again. Then they stand on a chair and you keep going. It is an oldie and a goodie from my TKD days that I still use.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Jeez. I've been able to do them since what feels like the beginning of time.
1) if your actual jumping or athleticism is the problem, oh boy, is that going to take a while to fix. Start with hip mobility.
2) kicking technique.
You see, with jump kicks, technique is basically just determined by how subconsciously little of a pu[ss]y you're being. You need to commit to that gotdayumned scissor kick. Swing the leg, swing the the arms, point those toes, lean the heck back, keep your back straight, leg straight etc.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Personally not a fan of the weights on jumps as it's hard on joint structures, but I know people have gotten good results with them. Plyometric training on jumping, also hard on joints, is fantastic for increasing jumping ability.

I'm specifically referring to box jumps, where you get up on a box (or a ledge, or a step or a bench, whatever) that's anywhere from 4 inches to 12 inches high, and you jump down and IMMEDIATELY jump back up onto the higher place. You do this until you feel at risk for ... not making it back up there nd then you count off at least five more, perhaps 10 at a slower pace. Keep doing these, increasing the number and/or the height.

It's hard, but it certainly does work.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Personally not a fan of the weights on jumps as it's hard on joint structures, but I know people have gotten good results with them. Plyometric training on jumping, also hard on joints, is fantastic for increasing jumping ability.

I'm specifically referring to box jumps, where you get up on a box (or a ledge, or a step or a bench, whatever) that's anywhere from 4 inches to 12 inches high, and you jump down and IMMEDIATELY jump back up onto the higher place. You do this until you feel at risk for ... not making it back up there nd then you count off at least five more, perhaps 10 at a slower pace. Keep doing these, increasing the number and/or the height.

It's hard, but it certainly does work.
that's the,correct defintion of plyometrics, its commonly miss used for just jumping, rather than as you correctly state its the instant jump as you land that develops the nervous system. This is now some times refered to as neural training, and can be done with push ups as well as jumps

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jeez. I've been able to do them since what feels like the beginning of time.
1) if your actual jumping or athleticism is the problem, oh boy, is that going to take a while to fix. Start with hip mobility.
2) kicking technique.
You see, with jump kicks, technique is basically just determined by how subconsciously little of a pu[ss]y you're being. You need to commit to that gotdayumned scissor kick. Swing the leg, swing the the arms, point those toes, lean the heck back, keep your back straight, leg straight etc.
That's the benefit of being (15?). You'll discover these issues in about 10 years when you take a break and try to go back to it.

Latest Discussions