What Martial Arts should i study to be a great well rounded martial artist?

Pianodude132

White Belt
Reaction score
i just received Chodan (1st degree) in Moo duk Kwan T'ang Soo Do, i kinda wanna start exploring other styles too to make myself more well rounded, what should i do? the tang soo do covered striking and all that, i was thinking bjj or japanese jiujutsu for the grappling, and maybe either krav mags for hapkido, any suggestions? i prefer more of the traditional asian martial arts, i like the whole traditional dojo feel

thanson02

Blue Belt
Reaction score
First off, congratulations on your Cho Dan!

Next question, are you looking for something more sport-like that just focuses on the skills or something more tradional?

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Finding good JJJ is difficult. You are much better off with Judo usually, as the techniques are trained with resistance and the quality control is generally very high. If you find a good JJJ dojo, you're lucky and should certainly give it a shot.

You might also try weapons training, as it is a real eye opener for primarily unarmed stylists. FMA and HEMA are relatively good choices with easy access. Iaido and kendo are generally easy to find, and koryu much less so.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What's available in your area?

This is the main discriminating factor for most folks. You can do all kinds of research and go oh this is definitely what you want but there's no one around you who can teach it.

Start with a list of what's around you. Scratch off the striking art schools since you said that's not what you want. Then start visiting the rest to see what grabs you.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i just received Chodan (1st degree) in Moo duk Kwan T'ang Soo Do, i kinda wanna start exploring other styles too to make myself more well rounded, what should i do? the tang soo do covered striking and all that, i was thinking bjj or japanese jiujutsu for the grappling, and maybe either krav mags for hapkido, any suggestions? i prefer more of the traditional asian martial arts, i like the whole traditional dojo feel
In theory I would say grappling as well. In practice, it is what fits your schedule, budget, availability and what you can happily train in the long term.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, dude.

OP
P

Pianodude132

White Belt
Reaction score
First off, congratulations on your Cho Dan!

Next question, are you looking for something more sport-like that just focuses on the skills or something more tradional?

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
i'm looking for something traditional and more tactical. i don't learn martial arts for sport, i learn it so i can make anyone who threatens someone i care about sorry

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
MMA. for two reasons.

One you will be doing a well rounded system anyway.

Two. Because of the mixed nature of MMA you have a platform to explore a lot of other martial arts.

You want to drop in to the local boxing club for any or no reason? With MMA you can. Judo? wrestling? karate? sambo? You name it there is a MMA guy somewhere doing it.

And MMA is a community. They actually appreciate guys just popping in from nowhere. They appreciate you going out and looking at other gyms.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i'm looking for something traditional and more tactical. i don't learn martial arts for sport, i learn it so i can make anyone who threatens someone i care about sorry

Then I suggest you stick with your current training until you mature and your attitude changes.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That's a flawed stance. I still don't understand the argument that somehow, competition rules designed to keep fighters able to continue their careers cause your training to be ineffective in hurting somebody. I suggest you deepen your understanding of your current training before attempting to commit to something else with prejudice. You must enter an art blind or you will not understand.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a flawed stance. I still don't understand the argument that somehow, competition rules designed to keep fighters able to continue their careers cause your training to be ineffective in hurting somebody. I suggest you deepen your understanding of your current training before attempting to commit to something else with prejudice. You must enter an art blind or you will not understand.
I think it's more a matter of personal mindset. Some folks just aren't interested in competition - it doesn't align with our personal approach to MA. I'm mostly in that camp. I might have had enough interest to compete in a grappling art, if I'd ever had the time and money (at the same time) to commit to it. I'm just not interested in beating someone to win a match. And that's honestly not a judgement statement on those who are - it's an effective part of training, and some folks enjoy the challenge of it. I've never really enjoyed hitting people, at all. I do it in sparring because that's a necessary (IMO) part of training.

Psilent Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score

If I were you I would go with Hapkido. I think this makes the most sense for quite a few reasons.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Question: What do you mean by "well rounded"? Or in other words, what do you think you are missing in your current art that you think you need to accomplish your goal? Until you know that, there's no point looking for another Martial Art to train in. Also did you already talk to your instructor about this? They may have some suggestions that are more suitable than anything you will find on the internet.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Regardless, those with an extensive sporting MA background tend to do better in self-defence situations than many others who do supposedly SD-oriented arts. If you are serious about being able to make someone "sorry", then become a wrestler. As a general rule, anyone who messes with a good wrestler is immediately sorry.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kenpo guys tend to be pretty round. :)

Most of the time yeah, but not every kenpo dojo is exactly on par with the original philosophy of "adapt and change." Some of them forget that it is supposed to be eclectic.

Edit: I misread your post, and round is good. More weight to distribute into each strike ;).

thanson02

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think it's more a matter of personal mindset. Some folks just aren't interested in competition - it doesn't align with our personal approach to MA.

This right here. And just because the tournament competitive side of MA doesn't do it for you, doesn't mean that you are anti-competition. For me personally, I really appreciate our tournaments because they are a testing ground to push me past my limits and bring context to what we do in our core material (it also helps that several years ago they changed our sparring programs to reflect the core material more closely so you can have that context, which I acknowledge not every system does), but I have seen a lot of martial artist where tournament competition is something they really get into and pride themselves on it being "their thing" just not get that. I remember a few years ago, I was at our World Tournament and I placed in 4 of our 8 divisions including 1st place in a couple and one of the "tournament guys" came up to me and said "Hey man, I know the tournament scene is not your thing, but if you are going to be here, you can at least step up and set a good example and act like you belong here." I found the whole conversation condescending more then anything.

So when it comes to tournament training, It is an attitude thing, not a maturity thing.

-Note: Said individual ended up becoming a drama queen and leaving after he had some conversations with the higher ups about similar behavior.

Latest Discussions