Jump Front Kick Without the Fake

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The jump front kick was the first kick I learned during my first class.

I'll be learning the jump front kick without the fake soon (I have to master it for my 8th gup).

I've only seen higher ranks do it a few times and it looks tricky. Am I right in assuming: 1) you start off in a front stance with the kicking leg back, 2) that you jump into the air bringing both legs off the floor at the same time, 3) and you kick with the rear leg while the other leg is in the air???

I'm wondering how you get off the ground. Do you bend both legs before you go into the air?

Any tips? Ideas? Videos?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It sounds like you're describing a jumping reverse front kick.

You should really get a lot of attention from your teachers for this kick.

There are tricks to jumping high, which you'll need to start working on right away, but here's what *I* try to do and/or teach:

1. Jump straight up and pull your heels up under your buttocks, bending your knees, of course.

2. Your non-kicking leg will remain there as you extend the kicking leg at the highest point of the jump - you should reach the top of your jump and finish extending your leg at the same moment.

3. Retract the leg, tucking your heel back under your buttocks, and extend your legs towards the ground to land.

*Remember* all good kicks come from the hips - don't snap your knee to full extension as you *will* damage your knee (if not in one fell swoop, over a course of time).

Enjoy. And if you experience pain from doing these, you may want to consult with a physical therapist who is experienced with martial arts.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I learnt both this kicks in Wado they were part of my second grading, the one you describe we know as as a jumping front kick the other you described as having the fake is called jumping scissors kick, which I actually found a bit more energetic to do! We had some smarty pants who could do a double front kick, kicking a pad with each foot!

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, that does sound more like a switch jump front kick to me.

Did they really start you off with jump kicks? Or did you mean your first kick *after* regular kicks?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was taught 'kicks' more oftless at the same time, all the kicks we do are taught off the front leg as well as the back leg, we did front snap kick, jump front kick, jumping scissors front kick, roundhouse, jump roundhouse, side and jumping side, crescent, axe, inverted crescent kick, back kick, hook kick, spinning crescent, spinning hook, jumping spinning back and hookm there are also hopping and sliding variations on most of these kicks too. If you were grading you of course concentrate on the kicks for that but the sooner you start these kicks the longer it gives you to get them right.
We had three to four months before we graded for our first belt and up to orange belt we had at least four months between gradings more if you felt you weren't ready. it was up to us to decide when we felt ready to grade, then we'd discuss it with the instructor and he'd either agree or disagree.We also as we do in my present club start sparring from day one, this is with the senior grades and gets you used to the idea of strikuing and being struck. Sometimes this is a big hurdle for people to get over and we don't believe waiting until one's a certain grade helps.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It sounds like you're describing a jumping reverse front kick.

You should really get a lot of attention from your teachers for this kick.

There are tricks to jumping high, which you'll need to start working on right away, but here's what *I* try to do and/or teach:

1. Jump straight up and pull your heels up under your buttocks, bending your knees, of course.

2. Your non-kicking leg will remain there as you extend the kicking leg at the highest point of the jump - you should reach the top of your jump and finish extending your leg at the same moment.

3. Retract the leg, tucking your heel back under your buttocks, and extend your legs towards the ground to land.

*Remember* all good kicks come from the hips - don't snap your knee to full extension as you *will* damage your knee (if not in one fell swoop, over a course of time).

Enjoy. And if you experience pain from doing these, you may want to consult with a physical therapist who is experienced with martial arts.
Thank you for the description and advice about not fully extending the knee. Not fully extending the knee wouldn't be "common sense" to me at this point in my training.

This should be a challenge. I get to learn jump side kicks, too.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I learnt both this kicks in Wado they were part of my second grading, the one you describe we know as as a jumping front kick the other you described as having the fake is called jumping scissors kick, which I actually found a bit more energetic to do! We had some smarty pants who could do a double front kick, kicking a pad with each foot!
Double jump front kick with alternate legs? Sheesh!

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah, that does sound more like a switch jump front kick to me.

Did they really start you off with jump kicks? Or did you mean your first kick *after* regular kicks?
In our class we start with e dan ahp chagi, then learn ahp chagi, then dullryo chagi.

The other night, we had someone trying out. The trial student, white and yellow belts were together. We partnered up and exchanged e dan ahp chagis, 10 per set, each leg, for three sets. The trial student was starting to get the hang of it after the second set though she was about to die from exertion. (Then we did 600 wall kicks.)

I learned e dan ahp chagi first as well. The Dojang "rumor" is that it's easier to learn jump front kicks than regular front kicks. I don't know about that. For me, it took a lot of practice to learn to bring the knee straight up and not flick it out when jumping - just to control the moves and do it gracefully.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Double jump front kick with alternate legs? Sheesh!

I know! It's actually a theatrical kick, I don't think you could use it in a fight or even sparring.(waits for someone to post up they have used it to knock two guys out lol) It's easy to do if you can do gymnastic/dance type stuff. You jump up and extend both legs at the same time with a person holding pads at each side of you, you don't have to do it with alternate legs. Having said that we had an instructor who used to be a ballet dancer and he could get enough height on his kicks that he could do two front kicks on one jump! His flying sidekick was something to behold!

I'll admit that I find TSD more restrictive on kicks, with all kicks off back leg and no hopping,sliding kicks which are so useful when sparring.

Yossarian

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We call this kick Dea oh AhpChagi(not sure about spelling), can be quite powerfull too. Make sure you dont bend your knees to much before you jump as your opponent will see it coming. Concentrate on getting your hips round while your in the air. I imagine youll soon learn the round house version of this too.

I'll admit that I find TSD more restrictive on kicks, with all kicks off back leg and no hopping,sliding kicks which are so useful when sparring.

Really? that sounds quite unusual, weve always done a lot of front leg hopping, sliding etc.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We call this kick Dea oh AhpChagi(not sure about spelling), can be quite powerfull too. Make sure you dont bend your knees to much before you jump as your opponent will see it coming. Concentrate on getting your hips round while your in the air. I imagine youll soon learn the round house version of this too.

Really? that sounds quite unusual, weve always done a lot of front leg hopping, sliding etc.

In the TSD we do all kicks come off the back leg hence no hopping or sliding fronts kicks off the front leg. I teach them anyway though lol, they just aren't in the grading syllabus.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I know! It's actually a theatrical kick, I don't think you could use it in a fight or even sparring.(waits for someone to post up they have used it to knock two guys out lol) It's easy to do if you can do gymnastic/dance type stuff. You jump up and extend both legs at the same time with a person holding pads at each side of you, you don't have to do it with alternate legs. Having said that we had an instructor who used to be a ballet dancer and he could get enough height on his kicks that he could do two front kicks on one jump! His flying sidekick was something to behold!

I'm not one of those flexible gymnastics/dance type people.

We had a new white belt girl the other night. We had to do roundhouse kicks in slow motion - 10 seconds up, 10 seconds down. This new girl, who had never done a roundhouse kick before (I asked her), extended her leg over her head with so much balance it was unbelievable. I thought, "She must be a ballerina!" I asked later and she said she was a dancer.

My leg doesn't even go to my hip yet :(

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not one of those flexible gymnastics/dance type people.

We had a new white belt girl the other night. We had to do roundhouse kicks in slow motion - 10 seconds up, 10 seconds down. This new girl, who had never done a roundhouse kick before (I asked her), extended her leg over her head with so much balance it was unbelievable. I thought, "She must be a ballerina!" I asked later and she said she was a dancer.

My leg doesn't even go to my hip yet :(

Ah but was there any power in her kick? I can't do high kicks but my low kicks are strong. One of the reasons we tend to stick to low kicks in MMA is that it's much harder to catch the leg and take them down. I was taught oringinally that the heigh really didn't matter too much as long as I had the technique. My roundhouse at it's highest is hip height at it's best it's thigh height so don't look at the dancer and think she's got the better kick!

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ah but was there any power in her kick? I can't do high kicks but my low kicks are strong. One of the reasons we tend to stick to low kicks in MMA is that it's much harder to catch the leg and take them down. I was taught oringinally that the heigh really didn't matter too much as long as I had the technique. My roundhouse at it's highest is hip height at it's best it's thigh height so don't look at the dancer and think she's got the better kick!
Good point. I do have a powerful kick ;)

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, starting with a jump kick is a bit weird, in my not-so-humble opinion, but go with what your instructor says.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The jump front kick was the first kick I learned during my first class.

I'll be learning the jump front kick without the fake soon (I have to master it for my 8th gup).

I've only seen higher ranks do it a few times and it looks tricky. Am I right in assuming: 1) you start off in a front stance with the kicking leg back, 2) that you jump into the air bringing both legs off the floor at the same time, 3) and you kick with the rear leg while the other leg is in the air???

I'm wondering how you get off the ground. Do you bend both legs before you go into the air?

Any tips? Ideas? Videos?
If you have your legs properly bent in the first place there should be no prep. Just jump, tuck, and kick. Anything you do in preparation will telegraph your intentions for people sparring or fighting you.

DArnold

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, starting with a jump kick is a bit weird, in my not-so-humble opinion, but go with what your instructor says.

My thoughs exactly as most people can't understand how to do a basic front kick on the ground without hitting a heavy bag.

Starting with jump kicking seems a bit odd. Most just flip up their foot for height because it looks gook, with a trajectory that would not even scratch an opponent. (not knowing that the basis of the kick is in the movement of the knee)

So understanding this (adding more variables) while in the air is even more complicated when your main worry is if you have your landing gear down..

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My thoughs exactly as most people can't understand how to do a basic front kick on the ground without hitting a heavy bag.

Starting with jump kicking seems a bit odd. Most just flip up their foot for height because it looks gook, with a trajectory that would not even scratch an opponent. (not knowing that the basis of the kick is in the movement of the knee)

So understanding this (adding more variables) while in the air is even more complicated when your main worry is if you have your landing gear down..
I don't know... The Jump kick has one base and a kick from the ground has two. Technicly the jump kick is easier to grasp and if she is taught correctly, its easier to pull off.
Sean

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know... The Jump kick has one base and a kick from the ground has two. Technicly the jump kick is easier to grasp and if she is taught correctly, its easier to pull off.
Sean

Technicalities. You still have to learn how to stand before you can learn how to fly. A jump front kick is just a front kick in the air. If you don't know how to do a regular front kick properly, you won't be able to do a jump front kick properly either.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The first lesson, we were introduced to edan ahp chagi. The second lesson, we did lots and lots of drills (doing edan ahp chagis all four directions, then bouncing sideways, turning, and doing them all four directions). During the third lesson, we learned ahp chagi. The instructor corrected me on my footwork and legwork because I was flicking my foot and leg. Probably what helped the most was kicking the Wavemasters in a later lesson. Also, we did them in slow motion which really helped to break down the kick. I would still have a tendency to flick out my foot and not bring my knee straight up when doing edan ahp chagis though.

By my 6th week or so, I had mastered both kicks. I did much better with edan ahp chagi when I was told to lean into the kicking leg - kind of leaning forward a bit. It really makes the kicking leg "pop" out.

Latest Discussions