Jujitsu as self defence?

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I get the impression you haven't spend much time around tradition-based Jujutsu systems. While the bastardized styles you mention certainly exist in Jujutsu, they are also in Karate, Kung Fu, etc... True Jujutsu may be hard to find, but it does exist.

The style I study is a branch of a small family bugei system taught by the Takikawa (or Takikgawa, whichever you prefer) family. While Akayama Ryu Jujutsu focuses on only a small aspect of the bujutsu taught, we have retained the practicality and effectiveness required by the Samurai. We make no bones about being gendai but I know from personal experience and those of other students that the system works for civilians, LEO and military.

There are several hard-core Jujutsuka who post regularly here who have equal or superior training to mine. Please don't assume that one or two lackluster videos you've watched are the end-all and be-all of Jujutsu.
True, tradition-based Jujutsu is incredibly effective. The majority of military and LEO h2h training is based on Jujutsu and that is a ringing endorsement.

i get the picture. sounds awesome. ill take your word for it.
i knew that good jujutsu existed. i think lots of it got absorbed by many other martial arts.
your ryuha sounds interesting. what other things do you teach or specialize in?

i agree naturaly, jujutsu would be ideal for police work.

j

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
True Jujutsu may be hard to find, but it does exist.
Yes indeed.

There was a good discussion recently on another forum about why there is so little legitimate Japanese Jujutsu in the US. Compare the situation with JJJ to that of the Korean arts. Dozens of KMA people have immigrated to the US and opened schools. Why don't we see this with JJJ? There are probably cultural factors at work.

Regarding some of the comments about striking, and about the "art" aspect of Jujutsu, I can speak with hands-on knowledge only of one stlyle (Daito-ryu). I can tell you that Daito-ryu makes liberal use of strikes, in fact, atemi is one of the seven methods of applying aiki that the "mainline" (Kondo) organization recognizes. There is also considerable emphasis in the training on rei (etiquette). In fact, some newcomers find the training too formal for their liking in that respect. However, the techniques themselves were originally intended, above all, as ways of injuring and eventually killing an enemy. That's why you see the symbolic todome (finishing, or killing, strike) at the end of so many Daito-ryu techniques.

I wish there were more legitimate JJJ dojos in the States. IMO it's a beautiful and very effective art of self defense.

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've been studying Jujutsu for over 30 years. If you think it doesn't get respect now, you should have been around in the 70's. Thanks to bad magazine articles and worse video tapes, Jujutsu was seen by most other martial arts as worse than useless.

To combat this image, my sensei had an open-door policy at his dojo and sought out other styles and instructors to have them visit. He wanted them to see the effectiveness of Jujutsu and also give us the opportunity to train with and against other styles.

It's discouraging to see someone add a couple of wrist locks or throws to their Karate program and say they are teaching Jujutsu. It's comparable to me teaching a few kicks and thinking I'm capable of teaching TKD.

As for atemi, Akayama Ryu incorporates a fair amount but most of it is open-handed and knees and elbows are prevalent. When you consider that Jujutsu is designed for mid or close range use, many of the strikes and kicks of Karate or TKD are impractical. There are strikes and kicks that are unique to Jujutsu and attempts to reconstruct it by using elements of karate, Judo and Aikido do not do it justice.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
some judoka can be quite spectacular in their throws and midairtakedowns. but usually, when you think of japanese kicking arts' you think of karate. that's it. although actualy karate as it is now hasn't existed for all that long.
i myself greatly value kicking.

ive been studying tons of chin na techniques recently. there are some similarities between koryu jujutsu and chin na, i find.

j

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It's discouraging to see someone add a couple of wrist locks or throws to their Karate program and say they are teaching Jujutsu. It's comparable to me teaching a few kicks and thinking I'm capable of teaching TKD.
We have a parallel situation in Hapkido.

Some TKD teachers go to weekend Hapkido seminars or take a few private lessons with a Hapkido teacher, and the next thing you know they're marketing Hapkido instruction. Teaching a couple of wrist and elbow locks does not equate to Hapkido.

I believe that some of this is attributable to the sport direction that a lot of modern TKD has taken. Because of that, some TKD programs recognize that there may be benefits to adding some Hapkido self defense to what they teach.

If you compare the Aikijujutsu-based art that Choi Yong Sul taught (the original base of Hapkido) to TKD, you find that they are very different arts. Just as Jujutsu and Karate are.

Latest Discussions