Ju-jitsu

steven.g.sellars

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi all I'm looking for an instructional DVD of DVD quality covering Ju-jitsu gradings from white belt up to black belts but all the ones I've found so far are old vhs remastered poorly and don't really show the requirements for grading! Can anyone help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can your instructor tell you what is needed?

OP
S

steven.g.sellars

White Belt
Reaction score
Yeah but it more for when I'm at home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is no such single system as jujutsu (ju-jitsu, jiu-jitsu, or any variant). As a result, there is no single curriculum for "white to black belt" (classical systems won't even have any such rankings, of course). To help narrow it down, can you say which system of "ju-jitsu" you are studying?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Er... is that a "style", is it? If so, I will say that it is certainly a modern, Western creation... not anything really similar to Japanese jujutsu systems, nor indeed terribly alike to Brazilian jiu-jitsu (itself based in early Judo). Most likely, it's an amalgam of a range of modern arts, such as karate, boxing, judo, wrestling, maybe some weaponry with more or less legitimacy depending on exactly what's being taught. As a result, there is nothing outside of your own school that can offer what you're after... you will need to see if there's anything your teacher/school can supply.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Then name the ryu-ha. I can save you some time... you won't be able to. You don't learn one. You learn something you've been told is "traditional jujutsu", but believe me, it isn't. Now, that's not a bad thing in and of itself... unless you invested yourself in the idea that that's what you were actually learning. If you enjoy it, and enjoy the classes, get what you need out of them, that's great... and all that's needed, really. But if you're actually after genuinely traditional (classical) Japanese jujutsu, you haven't found it.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In addition to the points Chris makes (which are all correct), I will add that if your instructor is teaching a system he/she calls "Bushido Ju-jitsu", then that is not a widespread art. Most likely it would be something your instructor (or their instructor) came up with which is taught at no more than a few schools. In that case, the only instructional videos available for that system would be whatever was put out by your instructor or their organization and would probably only be available for sale through that organization.

It may be more likely that "Bushido Ju-Jitsu" is the name of the school, not the art. There are a number of schools out there with names like "Bushido Ju-Jitsu Academy." These schools are named for the sake of a cool sounding brand more than anything else. The actual art they teach may be any of a large number of jujutsu/jiu-jitsu/ju-jitsu systems. If you want to know whether instructional videos might be available for that particular art, you'd need to find out the full name of the art being taught. If your school has a website you could point us to, we might be able to take a look and see what we can tell on the matter.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Not really sure what you're looking for. The best product I've seen for BJJ that outlines what you need to know and be able to do at each belt level are the "Requirements" videos by Roy Dean.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Except he's not looking for BJJ... and this isn't the BJJ section... he's after something that will help him with the grading requirements for his school... so....

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Except he's not looking for BJJ... and this isn't the BJJ section... he's after something that will help him with the grading requirements for his school... so....
Look, Chris. I'm trying to help the guy. You're trying to run him off the site. He said "traditional and modern" and no one knows exactly what he's looking for. So....

(and those videos are excellent)

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not arguing the quality of Roy Deans videos... but you didn't read the OP properly, didn't pay attention to the forum this thread is in, the section of the forum this area is in, the subsequent posts by the OP that clarified a few things, and as a result gave a suggestion that has absolutely no relevance. That's not helping, that's ignoring the actual thread and request itself, and arrogantly thinking that your form of training is going to be relevant when it's simply not.

Look, you can 'dislike' all my posts you want... but you have yet to be able to actually argue against them. And I'm not running anyone off anywhere... for the record, I know of some two dozen or so "Bushido Jujitsu" groups... all different, but all modern, Western interpretations of what they think "jujutsu" is... none of them are legitimately traditional (in the sense of traditional jujutsu), with quite a few being less than spectacular, but with some being quite good modern systems. Until we know which one, we can't say anything definitive... other than that it is not something universal enough to actually have the material and resources out there that the OP is after, and that it certainly isn't traditional jujutsu nor BJJ.

I heartily recommend you get that chip off your shoulder where I'm concerned, take a step back, and actually read what's written.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not really sure what you're looking for. The best product I've seen for BJJ that outlines what you need to know and be able to do at each belt level are the "Requirements" videos by Roy Dean.
Of course, those videos really only address the belt requirements for Roy's school(s). They wouldn't really be applicable to the belt requirements for the vast majority of BJJ schools. (That isn't to say they aren't excellent BJJ instructionals in general, they just don't address the promotions requirements for most schools.)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm not arguing the quality of Roy Deans videos... but you didn't read the OP properly, didn't pay attention to the forum this thread is in, the section of the forum this area is in, the subsequent posts by the OP that clarified a few things, and as a result gave a suggestion that has absolutely no relevance. That's not helping, that's ignoring the actual thread and request itself, and arrogantly thinking that your form of training is going to be relevant when it's simply not.

Look, you can 'dislike' all my posts you want... but you have yet to be able to actually argue against them. And I'm not running anyone off anywhere... for the record, I know of some two dozen or so "Bushido Jujitsu" groups... all different, but all modern, Western interpretations of what they think "jujutsu" is... none of them are legitimately traditional (in the sense of traditional jujutsu), with quite a few being less than spectacular, but with some being quite good modern systems. Until we know which one, we can't say anything definitive... other than that it is not something universal enough to actually have the material and resources out there that the OP is after, and that it certainly isn't traditional jujutsu nor BJJ.

I heartily recommend you get that chip off your shoulder where I'm concerned, take a step back, and actually read what's written.
Chris, please. Would this person be the first to post something like this in the wrong subforum? The guy asked for some suggestions about belt requirements from white to black. I offered a suggestion and was specific that it applies to BJJ.

Edit. To clarify, I wasn't trying to post anything definitive. I was offering a simple, helpful suggestion. You're kind of crapping all over the thread.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Of course, those videos really only address the belt requirements for Roy's school(s). They wouldn't really be applicable to the belt requirements for the vast majority of BJJ schools. (That isn't to say they aren't excellent BJJ instructionals in general, they just don't address the promotions requirements for most schools.)
Agree, but they're not off base, and are a solid baseline regardless of school. (BJJ only, of course.)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We are all just spinning wheels here until we have a more definitive answer to what ju-jitsu style he trains in or website link to his school.

Latest Discussions